Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2013, 11:27   #1

Melbourne, FL

We are thinking of docking our 57' sailboat here vs the Miami area due to local friends and $. Is there any sailing nearby or access to the open water? Any better suggestions? I have 2 young kids that will get bored motoring but the ICW appeals to me for hurricanes. This would be a 4-6 month option while we shake it down etc.
Lifeplus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:31   #2

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman
Not much there if you stay in Titusville you can go out the gov cut and sail port canaveral
Go to dinner key south of Miami not to bad pricing

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:33   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: Melbourne, FL

You can sail on the Indian River. Get towing insurance.
Old 12-01-2013, 13:05   #4

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

A suggestion...Get the kids involved in building electronics widgets. Cheap kits building could be purchased from Radio Shack or Mouser Electronics. There are beginner's sets with all the parts and instructions, for about $95 USD. Most kits operate on 2 to 5 batteries. Electronics building teaches discipline, organizational skills and a sense of accomplishment. Before you know it, the kids might get the bug for fixing broken things around the "house". It can start as a hobby but may lead to college study of engineering. Take care! Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 14:15   #5

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Have you got a specific marina in mind for Melbourne, because 57 feet is kind of large for any that I know in Melbourne. I take it your mast is less than 65 feet given your comment about motoring up the ICW. If you draw 6 feet or less you have access to quite a bit of water in the indian river between the Pineda causeway and a few miles south of the melbourne causeway, but the neareast ocean access is Port Canaveral or Ft Pierce inlet. Either one is inconvenient at best. I would not call any place in the indian river open water. I have a lot of friends at the Melbourne Yacht Club but don't know anyone there with a boat over 45 feet. The MYC is a mostly sailing yacht club whereas the nearby Eau Galle yact club is mostly power boaters. If you want access to open water there are a couple of Marinas on the Barge Canal in Merrit Island, one of which can probably handle your length. It's only a mile or two from the locks at port Canaveral so is pretty handy for getting to open water and they're pretty good hurricane holes.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 15:54   #6

What are the limitations of the ICW? Depth? Height? I worry that our boat is too large- 57' Jeanaeu depth is 6'10" and height is 79' 4" water to top. If so. Where is a good place to keep it in the winter months in FL as we we will keep it in the NE during the summer.
Thanks for all the input
Old 12-01-2013, 16:15   #7

Telemar bay marina in satellite beach can probably take you. Shopping and beach is close.
But go further south you will be happy. Ft Lauderdale

Old 12-01-2013, 16:16   #8

Oh you can't do the I CW 65 max height and my 6 foot deep drags in places. Outside you go

Old 19-01-2013, 07:15   #9

Boat: Bombay PH 31

If you make it up,
Eau Gallie Yacht Basin
Eue Gallie yacht basin(not club) is the most wonderful place I've ever docked at. very cheap compared to Miami. Protected from all directions. There is at least one fifty ft there. Ballard Park is a short row for the kids. Eua Galie library is about a 1/2 mile and has dinghy dock( the schools made arrangement's to have school bus pick up kids at library)dinghy to dragon point across river and beach is a mile walk. at that landing is,publix and most every thing you need.
Been here for almost three years as liveaboard. two kids, now land-bound.
BTW my pic is me in 50kn north wind at library
Old 19-01-2013, 07:54   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeplus3 View Post
What are the limitations of the ICW? Depth? Height? I worry that our boat is too large- 57' Jeanaeu depth is 6'10" and height is 79' 4" water to top. If so. Where is a good place to keep it in the winter months in FL as we we will keep it in the NE during the summer.
Thanks for all the input
Unless you are in a commercial port area most of the bridges in the ICW will be spec'd to 65'.

6'10" draft will be a problem in many areas as well.

You will have to plan your travels from one large port/inlet to the next or avoid stretches with any bridges.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 07:57   #11

Boat: Finnsailer 38

You can't go many places at all in Florida with that mast height--certainly not Melbourne--you can't get there with the mast up.
Old 19-01-2013, 08:05   #12

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeplus3 View Post
We are thinking of docking our 57' sailboat here vs the Miami area due to local friends and $. Is there any sailing nearby or access to the open water? Any better suggestions? I have 2 young kids that will get bored motoring but the ICW appeals to me for hurricanes. This would be a 4-6 month option while we shake it down etc.
From Melbourne your only two accesses to the ocean will be either Ft. Pierce to the south or Canaveral to the north, each a long way with problematic access. From a sailing, life aboard viewpoint, you might be better looking at the Port Canaveral area.

For a better idea of the area, take a look at ActiveCaptain.com. Registration is free and the information is very valuable.

Fwiw
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 08:11   #13

Boat: Finnsailer 38

The ICW is almost completely out for you with that mast height. In Florida you'll have to find a marina that has no fixed bridges between it and the inlet. You might check around Palm Beach, Ft. Pierce, or Cape Canaveral, if you want to be north of Miami and Ft. Lauderdale. But, you will be restricted to going in and out of the marina and then the inlet to the ocean. Palm Beach is a good jumping off point for West End and then the Abacos.
Old 20-01-2013, 17:17   #14

Thank you!