Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2009, 04:31   #16

Boat: Simpson 12 extended
I guy's in the little time I have been able to make for this problem,I am making headway .I think some of the trouble I am having is caused by me not being used to vista.(my wife's laptop) I know the info is coming in on com 10 (her system has the catain on it at the momentI can't find my good copy of maxsea.
Any how I feel I am getting there thanks to your help.
I was interested to find out that now that Maxsea have reconised the problem and fixed it in Maxsea 12 ,Now apparently it has trouble with the cm93 file(chart file for anyone not familar with it).
Thanks again
John
sokari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2009, 04:44   #17

Boat: Privilege 37
Its more likely that the problem is caused by Vista than your lack of familiarity with it - terrible programme, I went back to XPsp3.

AFAIK maxsea 10.3 is the last version that will work with CM93 files.
Old 22-06-2009, 04:55   #18

I think your correct,I know a hacker in cairns and he told me a few weeks ago that microsoft are going to release a new OS at the end of this year to apolgise for vista.
I would not buy it myself,but my wife use it to write articls for mags,I normally won't go near her comupter because of vista.
I'll go back down to the boat late this week and will sort it out down there.
It is amasing how much software there is out that can assit with this problem.
Thanks again
Old 27-06-2009, 11:30   #19

Sorry Mates , need some help with some of you expert guys...
So the fact is I have installed and perfectly configured maxsea10 to my laptop (sony-vaio) with Vista plus integrated bluetooth (I use the bluetooth gps receiver)...and here everything is fine...

PROBLEM IS that I installed a same version (original copy of course) of maxsea10 on another laptop (asus), with vista but without integrated bluetooth system... so , after the program was completely installed I went to a shop, bought a small USB-BLUETOOTH-DONGLE to make my laptop equipped with BT.....installed... checked the connection between the computer and the gps... (with hyper terminal)..everything looked fine...BUT when I configure maxsea10 it says that HE CANNOT OPEN THAT PORT.... additionally I tried to re-install maxsea ..nothing changed... maxsea let me choose between 2 ports (COM4 and COM5, created by the BT-dongle) but on either port I choose it says CANNOT OPEN COM* PORT... damn it...

CAN ANYBODY HELP ME???
MANY THANKS..
faredino2
(edoardofarinelli@hotmail.it)

(comment)
..I think the problem is related to the fact than the ports seems to maxsea occupied by bt software... (in fact BT-dongle and BT-GPS they connect each other automatically each time I turn on the BT-GPS...on XP this doesn't happens..possibly deactivation of this feature will solve this problem...)
faredino2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2009, 11:57   #20

MOREOVER.... now I CREATED more ports ...COM6 - COM7 -COM8... I understand that trough the BTsoftware you can create as many ports as you need... interestingly even when the BT-DONGLE (the BT-USB-KEY attached to my laptop) is removed... it happens the same that opening maxsea, it will tell me CANNOT OPEN COM6 or 7 or 8 ecc ecc..
so what?
these ports, if the BTdongle is disconnected are of course FREE ..why maxsea cannot open them?

And what's different with my other laptop with integrated bluetooth that works very well with maxsea10 ???

PLEASE HELP!
faredino2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2009, 05:35   #21

Hi, I think I have a problem with GPS settings in MaxSea (v. 10.3.5), because I can get data stream from my integrated GPS receiver (Lenovo SL500 laptop with Ericsson F3507g 3G/GPS card) to MaxSea.

Data stream in MaxSea's "Check Data" box looks like this:
$GPGSV,3,3,11,18,26,308,,12,20,238,,$GPRMC,122953. 00,A,6016.309394,N,02212.046075,E,000.0,000.0,2707 09,,,A*5D

$GPGSV,3,1,11,09,64,274,37,17,49,096,27,26,45,294, 35,15,31,190,33*76

$GPGSV,3,2,11,22,19,304,29,27,45,270,28,11,14,030, 17,28,60,084,*77

Does anyone have any idea what kind of settings i should use, to get MaxSea to understand this message?

-Thanks, Apina
simo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2009, 05:51   #22

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000
Thumbs up Is it LEGAL ???

Again I ask the question...is it legal..

I have a LEGAL copy of MaxSea ...I originally bought it thru Steve Dashew...AND I got all the upgrades...and it works fine !

I NEVER had any problems getting the GPS to communicate...1st thru RS232 and later via USB...AND the help I got from Max Sea in France and later via Furuno in US was great...they even kept me going with a temp licence for 90 days when my dongle went buns up !!

SO..if you are cheating and have a non licenced copy...then no wonder you have problems.....and WHY should anyone help you !!

This stuff is not cheap to produce...if you want quality , you need to pay for it !!

I say

GET LEGAL !!
Albro359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2009, 06:58   #23

Boat: Privilege 37
Maxsea version 10 defaults to a different sentence stream for position and movement.

You need to go into the setting up and change the sentence that it is looking for to RMC - I dont have Maxsea 10.3 set up on my machine at the moment otherwise I would give you chapter and verse on this, but the handbook is quite good in this area. If you cannot find exactly what I am talking about drop me a PM.

Albro359 - get a life I am sure that newest versions of Maxsea probably do work fine, but the version 10 ones are a bit of a pain due to this default setting - we cant all afford the latest toys, and in any case IIRC 10.3 is the last version that will work with CM93 files. Not every country is lucky enough to have a government recognise that the people paid for the maps to be produced and should therefore have access to them for free. Therefore charts and charting software represent a significant chunk of cash
Old 27-07-2009, 08:18   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tayana 37
As a new user of both Maxsea 10 and cm93, I sympathize and empathize.

It sounds like you are on your way, so I won't offer any advice since you may already know more than me which would not be difficult.

If you have a question, don't hesitate to ask, though please don't expect a prompt response. We are in Kota Kinabalu on Borneo and planning to sail off in a couple days toward Menado on Sulawesi for the big marine event Sail Bunaken.

FWIW, just about every sailor we meet from all over the world uses Maxsea 10 and cm93 to navigate. Even if they have other systems they paid an arm and leg for, they keep Max10/cm93 as a backup.
jimbim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2009, 15:31   #25

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000
I can't afford Inmarsat either...but I'd like to have it....MaxSea is not that expensive and neither are the charts compared to paper ones...add up the cost of a sextant, reduction tables and charts and you'll find MaxSea is cheaper!

I still maintain that if you have the newest legal version you can get all the help you need from the supplier

My advice would be ...if you can't afford it now ...save your pennies until you can.

Albro359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 00:38   #26

Should I buy a new copy every time I have a problem.I have been cruising for a long time.
The term that comes to mind is cheque book cruising it seems that all the new cruisers solve there probs with mony instead of learning.
Sorry for the slow reponse I have actullay been doing something.
John
Old 27-04-2010, 13:08   #27

Boat: LM32
Maxsea and GPS dongle

I have recently progressed from my 15 yr old Toshiba laptop to Toshiba netbook and have purchased a plug in GPS dongle from Maplin electronics . I know the GPS is putting data in because utility supplied with dongle displays it, but Maxsea 10 1 3 2 wont display position data . I am sure someone will have resolved this before , help would be much appreciated . The netbook is running Windows XP .
1corinthian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2010, 16:30   #28

Gps v charting program

Okay firstly if you are having trouble installing you need to know which usb port you are in,the older programs don't like a high number so try another port or get someone to rname your Usb port in devise manger.

If you still can't find the port Get one of the free programs on the net to find it for you eg; Gps gate or one of the ones mentioned earlier visual gps they go their are a few.

Now you need to find the file in your program that allows you to give the Gps adress.

I hope that is some help,I had trouble in the beginning myself I now sell these dongle and puk stlye Gps .
One program that still gives trouble for everyone is garmin who still want to lock their gps to their gear..

Regards John

Tags
maxsea