Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2012, 17:00   #1

Maxsea 1.9.6 GRIB issue

I am getting a quirk with GRIB file displays on this program: wx info displays, but wind barbs/color disappear for 90% of the GRIB area when I zoom in. Also, weather information under cursor does not show up consistently. North and south edges are still visible to high zoom, but the rest of the detail vanishes! It doesn't seem to have to do with chart detail kicking in. The only time the entire GRIB area is visible is when I am zoomed out very far. Weird. I download my GRIBS through Zygrib because I don't want to download them multiple times for multiple programs; this keeps a central location for my GRIB files. It reads them just fine except for the zoom thing. Anybody else getting this? Is this normal??
positiv4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 18:13   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Maxsea 1.9.6 GRIB issue

There are many bugs in MaxSea wx and routing modules. I do not get your issues, I just get my own. And a new one with each new version. ;-(

Maybe try on another machine sometimes this helps.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 18:19   #3

Glad to know it isn't just me!! Everything else works beautifully. Too bad. I'll keep tinkering around with file resolution and data and sources and such to find the one maxsea likes the best.
Old 20-05-2012, 22:14   #4

After some more digging, I have found that Ugrib files work better with this program and provides 0.5deg. resolution of wind/pressure. Allows me to zoom in fully. That works I can just view my other data in other platforms! So much for having everything in one place.
Old 21-05-2012, 08:29   #5

Boat: a sailing boat

After much trial and error I go as follows:

- gribus for grib data (1),
- MaxSea for routing (2),
- PolarView for wind wave overlay(3).

1) it is way delayed!,
2) it has bugs!,
3) but no swell ;-(,

Nobody's perfect ;-)

Then I use plenty of online sources for specific tasks (e.g. currents and tropical systems).

You may try out Deckman if they still offer tryouts. I used it back in 2007/09 and it was pretty good back then.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 10:39   #6

Good to know. I'm glad there are others that spend as many hours as I trying to get this stuff dialed in! This is a great forum.

Agreed that different applications have their pros/cons. It's nice to get a mix of things anyway. Keeps us busy on those long legs

I tried a deckman demo the other day, but it popped up loads of error windows and I couldn't really play around with it. No worries though...I don't have $1,500US to drop on that anyhow!

Tags
maxsea