Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2022, 05:51   #1

Boat: NorseBoat Classic 17.5
MapTech: ChartRite or Waterproof Chartbooks?

I’m looking for opinions on which of the two to buy. Costs for both for the Chesapeak are about the same, so that’s not a consideration.

I’ll be in a small open boat, so the waterproof Chartbook has some appeal. But, I can’t find any information on the size (they only list the number of pages, not the physical dimensions) or the map orientation (perhaps mixed, like a road atlas?) or, most especially, the map scale.

The ChartRite page at least tells me the size (22”x17”) and mentions multiple scales. I won’t have any electronics on my boat (well, a phone and maybe an iPad) but I could see using the accessory software at home to print charts for my “cruises” which will only be a few days each, anyway. That would save wear and tear on the book, which could then be left at home.

Anyway, I know lots of you out there will have used one or the other, or both, so what say y’all?
Solani is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books, maptech, water