Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2011, 12:16   #106

Boat: grampian 26
Re: Magnetic North Shift

An interesting aside; Apparently cows prefer to stand facing north due to some internal magnetic sense they have. They experimented by enclosing a cow in a round pen surrounded by an electromagnetic field and when the shifted the artificial north the cow followed it. Hmm how do i get a cow on the boat and can I sell the milk? Do I need to do a deviation table?
Old 23-03-2011, 13:14   #107

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

To get milk, after the first ten months, you're going to need to take a bull along.
Old 23-03-2011, 13:24   #108

Boat: grampian 26
Wink Re: Magnetic North Shift

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
To get milk, after the first ten months, you're going to need to take a bull along.
Are you looking for a job?
Old 23-03-2011, 13:36   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by perchance View Post
Are you looking for a job?
Nope. After milking cows for the first 29 years of my life, I've shoveled enouth s*** to last a lifetime.

Hmmm -- maybe THAT'S why I like this forum!!
Old 23-03-2011, 13:40   #110
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais

Quote:
Do I need to do a deviation table?
No, you need hay and a shovel It's been done - 500 years ago. Today they call it powered milk. You can get it with added butter fat and it's not really bad.

The earths poles migrate naturally on a 26,000 year cycle (Procession). Variations in the core of the planet also causes variations in the magnetic field as well. It really was not until the early 20th century that it was even mostly understood. That people could travel with a compass it amazing in itself. But not really.

For the most part navigation was / is by "routes". They change by the season and are mostly traditional. You really are not out to fight the planetary, seasonal, or Coriolis effects as you travel about the globe. It's all summarized by Pilot Charts that you can get free from NOAA. It's what all the gurus use to write the many books for world cruising. They didn't invent this stuff by going every place. It's like Las Vegas the percentages win but you can always lose.

There is still risk. Add sat phones and instant weather data to cut the odds. Modern data and technology allows you to boost the odds. Magellan had expendable crew. Not an option these days (probably a good thing).

With a poor compass and a solid plan you could go most places if you knew all the basics. You can always get stuffed by a freak storm.
Old 20-07-2011, 21:50   #111

Boat: Cooper 42'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Johnson View Post
Global climate change is a direct response to massive fossil fuel burning (by humans), in the last 150 years. There are far too many of us, and we make a disproportionate impact due to both our technologies and our numbers. This is not just "an opinion", it is the result of decades of research by the world's leading scientist in the field. Of these accredited & published scientist, not counting the ones working for BP or EXXON, there is a 99.9% consensus. There really is no "world wide" disagreement about this point. Only one country, the US, has a large number of disbelievers, and they got their "facts" from talk radio, or other equally biased sources. They choose to bury their heads in the sand, rather than be part of the solution. For the most part, it is not "climate change" that they don't believe in, it is SCIENCE itself. Anyone who believes in and knows how to study the unbiased studies on the subject, would see that the evidence is overwhelming... Almost up there with the evidence for gravity. You could claim that it's not "proven" either.

We all have to live with our conscience, and mine doesn't allow me to bury my head in the sand. I don't really think that my living my beliefs, for what time I have left, will make a difference. It is only a symbolic gesture. (Such a small percentage of the Earth doing this, is "too little, Too late". I suppose that my "tilting at windmills" is better than just waiting to die, and "to hell with future generations". THEY are the ones that will have to live with the choices that we make right now.

There are so many little ways we can make things better, if we try. This fish kill, is from nutrient runoff in the river, leading to algae blooms, cutting off the oxygen supply in the water, killing the fish for months. (Tens of millions, in one event). The nutrient runoff is from factory hog farms spreading their waste in fields, that drain into streams / the river, etc. It is also from fertilizing fields that drain like above, in agriculture, as well as lawns and golf courses.

My conscious choice not to procreate, trying to avoid food from "factory farming & factory ship fishing", buying "green" products from "green" sources, recycling, having a mulched yard rather than grass, planting trees rather than cut them down, driving as energy efficient a car as I can afford, insulating, going all solar on our boat, going "sail" rather than "power", never touching the coral, etc, etc, etc... It all is just a symbolic "feel good" waste of time. I know that, but if we ALL did it we just "might" minimize the climate changes a bit, or slow them down to a pace that we can adapt too.

Mark
Mark,
I had to say this, with all the scientist that say Global warming is real and what you have said, can you answer this? What is the normal average temperature of the earth?
My answer is- No one knows so, how can anyone say it warming or cooling? Iceages, warming times.. What temp do you pick to go off? maybe 80 degrees is average for the earth and its just going back to normal.. in the 70s global cooling No one knows or can say truthfully.
Old 20-07-2011, 23:25   #112

I think the alleged global warming is part of a cycle. Granted we humans have speeded the process up a tad. But glaciers' were once in New York state as well as California and the level of the ocean was 300 feet shallower, and it didn't start 150 years ago.
We have many more urgent things to correct than something that may occur in a million years.
Events of the next week are going to determine if you have enough capital to go cruising.
Old 21-07-2011, 00:28   #113

Boat: Triton 24

So many climate science experts! On a sailing forum! Who would have thunk it?
Old 21-07-2011, 06:16   #114

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

You must have missed the very long and long winded CF thread on plankton in the oceans.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:35   #115
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Magnetic north just changed.

The World Magnetic Model update was officially released on Monday, February 5, 2019, and magnetic north can again be precisely located.

This out-of-cycle update, before next year’s official release of WMM2020, will ensure safe navigation for military applications, commercial airlines, search and rescue operations, and others operating around the North Pole.
World Magnetic Model Out-of-Cycle Release
https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/news/world...-cycle-release

Old 15-11-2020, 20:39   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Poles have been moving forever.
ious 😆

you mean like this?
https://imgur.com/zrEuNfu
Old 24-07-2021, 04:39   #117
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Earth's magnetic field is weakening

A mysterious anomaly is causing the Earth’s magnetic field to weaken, between South America and Africa, and scientists don't know why.

Data collected by the European Space Agency (ESA) and published in May 2020 [1] notes that the affected area, known as the South Atlantic Anomaly, has seen the magnetic force weaken by nearly 9 per cent over the last 200 years. Previously, researchers estimated the field was weakening about 5 percent per century, but the new data revealed the field is actually weakening at 5 percent per decade, or 10 times faster than thought. Hundreds of times in Earth’s history, our magnetic field has reversed, switching north and south, in a planetary flip-flop.

As such, rather than a full polar flip occurring in about 2,000 years, as was predicted, the new data suggest it could happen much sooner [the last one took place over 780,000 years ago].

Still, there is no evidence that a weakened magnetic field would result in a doomsday for Earth. During past polarity flips, there were no mass extinctions, or evidence of radiation damage. Researchers think power grids and communication systems would be most at risk.

While the Earth's magnetic field protects humans from solar radiation, the most significant effects of the weakening magnetic field are limited to technical malfunctions, on board satellites and space crafts.

The biggest weak spots in the magnetic field, which extends 370,000 miles (600,000 kilometers) above the planet's surface, have sprung up over the Western Hemisphere, while the field has strengthened over areas like the southern Indian Ocean, according to the magnetometers onboard the Swarm satellites [three separate satellites floating in tandem].

[1] “Swarm probes weakening of Earth’s magnetic field”
https://www.esa.int/Applications/Obs...magnetic_field

“NASA Researchers Track Slowly Splitting 'Dent' in Earth’s Magnetic Field”
https://www.nasa.gov/feature/nasa-re...magnetic-field

“Geomagnetic jerks and rapid hydromagnetic waves focusing at Earth’s core surface” ~ by Julien Aubert & Christopher C. Finlay
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41561-019-0355-1

The World Magnetic Model is a modern successor to magnetic field mapping efforts, dating back to 1701, when Edmond Halley first published a magnetic chart. Today’s WMM is developed in a partnership between NOAA’s National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI) and the British Geological Survey (BGS) and is a joint product of the U.S. National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (NGA) and the U.K.’s Defence Geographic Centre. Monitoring the magnetic field and maintaining the WMM to support all these applications is a continuous effort for these agencies and one that occasionally poses unexpected and timely challenges.
The latest update, WMM2020, was released in December 2019, and is valid until 31 December 2024.
https://repository.library.noaa.gov/view/noaa/24390
World Magnetic Model Out-of-Cycle Release
https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/news/world...-cycle-release
https://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomag/WMM/

Old 25-07-2021, 01:35   #118

Boat: Gib sea 43

It appears the earths magnetic field is weakening far faster than many predicted, a carrington event may happen fairly soon since the weaker field gives far less protection to flares/cmes etc

A full pole shift may be on the near horizon not hundreds of years away.

If we get a carrington event , which the odds are fairly high since a much
smaller event will cause greater effects, the side of the earth facing the sun
that day will not have many working electronics left.

There are major links to the magnetic field strength and jet stream pattern.

Ie much wilder weather events as the jet stream meanders much further north and south, then the beaufort gyre may reverse and thats an ice age
switch event.

Makes me wonder about the chip shortage.........

Put tin hat on.

If the pen is mightier than the sword, then my keyboard must be a nuclear missile!
Old 25-07-2021, 05:22   #119
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

"The Earth Has [many] More Than One North Pole” ~ by Anne Casselman [2008]
https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...ne-north-pole/

Old 15-07-2023, 01:41   #120
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Human depletion of groundwater has shifted the global distribution of water, so much that the North Pole has drifted by more than four centimeters per year.

The net water lost from underground reservoirs, between 1993 and 2010, is estimated to be more than 2 trillion tons.
That has caused the geographic North Pole to shift, at a speed of 4.36 centimetres per year, researchers have calculated.
The results appeared on 15 June in Geophysical Research Letters. [1]

Until recently, researchers thought that these water-driven effects would be caused mainly by the melting of glaciers and ice caps. But, when Seo and his collaborators tried to model the Earth’s water content, to account for how much the axis has tilted, they could not fully explain the data.
Adding the effects of changes in surface reservoirs did not help.

Gravitational surveys showed that groundwater pumping shifted enough mass into the oceans to cause 6.24 millimetres of global sea-level rise, between 1993 and 2010.

By including these changes in their model, the authors calculated that they should have a substantial impact on the Earth’s rotation axis.
They predicted that the displacement of groundwater alone causes a shift in the North Pole of 4.36 centimetres per year, roughly in the direction of Russia’s Novaya Zemlya islands.

[1] “Drift of Earth's Pole Confirms Groundwater Depletion as a Significant Contributor to Global Sea Level Rise 1993–2010" ~ by Ki-Weon Seo et al
Quote:
”... Key Points:
- Earth's pole has drifted toward 64.16°E at a speed of 4.36 cm/yr during 1993–2010 due to groundwater depletion and resulting sea level rise
- Including groundwater depletion effects, the estimated drift of Earth's rotational pole agrees remarkably well with observations ...

Plain Language Summary:
... Melting of polar ice sheets and mountain glaciers has been understood as a main cause of sea level rise associated with contemporary climate warming. It has been proposed that an important anthropogenic contribution is sea level rise due to groundwater depletion resulting from irrigation. A climate model estimate for the period 1993–2010 gives total groundwater depletion of 2,150 GTon, equivalent to global sea level rise of 6.24 mm. However, direct observational evidence supporting this estimate has been lacking. In this study, we show that the model estimate of water redistribution from aquifers to the oceans would result in a drift of Earth's rotational pole, about 78.48 cm toward 64.16°E. In combination with other well-understood sources of water redistribution, such as melting of polar ice sheets and mountain glaciers, good agreement with PM observations serves as an independent confirmation of the groundwater depletion model estimate...”
Open access ➥ https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley....9/2023GL103509

Closed Thread