Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2016, 10:05   #1

Boat: Skookum 47
Mac, PC, Navigation, Oh My!

In-between waiting to return to my boat, I have been scouring information for the millions of ideas that pop in my head. Navigation software is one of them, and more specifically, navi for Mac. Seems like it is something that is few and far between. Looks like there is a program by Fugawi that will run in iOS, but that's about it?

When I bought the boat, it came with 2 functioning laptops with The Capn'. If I want to upgrade to the most current version (which I would) it would be around $150. Seems like the range for starting fresh without an upgrade on a variety of programs is anywhere from $399 and up. Yes, I have looked at OpenCPN, and I'll probably use that as a supplement, but I want a plug and pay (I mean play program as well. MaxSea has a nice following, but I found the Capn to be fine as well.

Our household is completely Mac based, but with the almost disposable prices of some PC's, I guess it wouldn't be a big deal to grab one. The laptops that came with the boat are still functioning, but I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in them, plus the systems are ancient in terms of technology.

I guess my question is, anybody using Mac based software by Fugawi, and if so, how is it? If not, any other options out there? If not, I guess I'll just get a $300 Asus or whatever else is comparable and upgrade the Capn'.

Thanks!
SF Bay Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 13:19   #2

Boat: Mirage 35
Re: Mac, PC, Navigation, Oh My!

Or consider running Windows in a virtual machine on the Mac. I run Windows 10 using Parallels on a five year old Mac (there are a couple of other options available) and it works like a charm. For those occasions when you just can't find what you want for Mac OS - yes, it happens.
Old 28-04-2016, 13:37   #3

Do a search on Fugawi. There was just a discussion in the last few days about just this issue, with answers similar to that presented by Anglais.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 15:50   #4

Boat: a sailing boat

I would actually start at the opposite end. Find the software that matches your preferences best then use or buy the required platform. All hardware can stop working at any point while new can do exactly the same but at least you die with clear conscience.

Where we are Win 10 tablets (8 inch) start at 90 freedom tokens. Mac tablets start at say 270 tokens. Hence me (budget constraints) I chose 3 Windows 10 machines with free OpenCPN and that's that.

I used Fugavi but can't remeber what that machine was. It was in our friend's boat and I was not swept (I an on MaxSea (older) and Adrena (demo).

I have also used Navionics on iPhone and it worked as advertised.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
navigation