Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2020, 09:37   #1

Boat: Sceptre 36
Low Battery Error?

I have a Garmin 820 XS chart plotter. Where can I download a complete instruction manual?
I received an Error message “Low voltage 11.2 volts”
The unit promptly shut down leaving me to navigate on my own. This time it did not present any issue.
My question is this error referring to ships battery? All ships systems remained working. Started engine and this did not rectify shutdown.
Is there an internal battery? I could not find where this is installed.
Your help would be appreciated as the unit is not working now.
Doug Rutherford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 10:02   #2

Boat: Hullmaster 27
Re: Low Battery Error?

Since it sounds like your battery is actually fine ... you may have a high-resistance connection in the power cable leading to the plotter.

After double checking that the battery really is properly charged, the first thing I'd check would be any terminals/crimps/wires between the battery and the plotter ... although poor connections can be tricky to track down, especially if you can't turn the plotter on, since a voltmeter won't always detect them if the circuit isn't loaded.
Kelkara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 10:18   #3

Boat: Norseman 447
Re: Low Battery Error?

Digital volt meters are generally much more accurate than los analog meters, but they can be horribly misleading if you’re trying to locate a high-resistance in a power feed circuit. Because DVMs have a very high input resistance, they draw almost no current. That means that almost any wire/connection will allow it to read the voltage, even if that wire will only pass micro amps of current. It’s usually far easier to look for bad wires/connections with an old-fashioned test light that draws some measurable current.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery