Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2012, 19:45   #16

Boat: Tartan 30
Re: Is an IPAD with InavX going to be the best.

(as an iphone user) Personally I don't like InavX. As long as I'm in the US I prefer Charts & Tides because the Active Captain data & charts are stored locally (no downloads).

But besides that, you can waterproof your Ipad pretty easily, and there are workarounds to to the touchscreen issues with gloves. But honestly, gloves with convertable fingers or fingerless gloves are almost always gong to be useful enough.
Old 08-07-2012, 20:14   #17

Boat: Seawind 1160

[QUOTE=Markgosse21;985694]My father just purchased a 24.5 foot Bayliner last year and didn't get a big chance to use it much. "Might I add we live in Newfoundland, Canada"
After looking around our current area for Gps systems he realised that the screens on most of the gps systems are rather small and being the age he is he has issues being able to look at a screen of that size.
Many other Gps's run into the thousands of dollars for a system that is any bit decent.

Just a thought 24ft Bayliner does not sound like you are going to far offshore so here is a thought Ipad/Water proof case if you think it will get it wet and Navionics software see Mobile & PC App | Navionics Phone version works for $14.99 or Ipad about $50.
Very cheap way to get out and about and an Ipad can do a whole lot of stuff, emails photos watch a movie etc etc, as for wet hand wipe them first???
I have used this setup on our 23 ft power boat for a few years now and it may not be a Raymarine E120 but it works great for simple coastal trips
If you are planning intercontinental trips you may have to get 2 of them
poppyduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 15:15   #18
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Littlechay,

I have navigated with paper charts and no GPS for 30 years or so, during all but hurricane conditions, and never ever had to do it with wet hands. I navigate at the nav station, which stays dry at all times... it's designed that way.

p.s. if you navigate on deck, you should consider an electronic chart plotter. It is designed to work in soaking stormy conditions, unlike paper charts.

P.p.s. yes, Splashtop, works good

cheers,
Nick.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 15:52   #19

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

I'd suggest waiting 6 months or until the start of next season. The iPad certainly could be a good choice. But with Apple being the only manufacturer, you get one choice.

With the windows 8 tablets coming out this fall and the number of android tablets, one can hope that someone might release a more durable tablet - sort of like the panasonic tough book is for laptops. Although hopefully not with the price increase one pays when buying a toughbook. The other benefit to a windows 8 tablet is any program that runs on windows should work with it and so would any usb devices..etc.

If nothing comes along that would work or you really can't wait, iPad would certainly do the job, but it is far more fragile than a typical marine GPS.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 20:17   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Littlechay,

I have navigated with paper charts and no GPS for 30 years or so, during all but hurricane conditions, and never ever had to do it with wet hands. I navigate at the nav station, which stays dry at all times... it's designed that way.
I'll call you out on that! I have navigated for thirty years too and navigate at a nav station which stays dry, at least on some of the floating objects that I have navigated. They nav station is dry, but you are not, if you have to nip below and do a quick plot you can't always get dry or stop you nose or hair dripping.

And it doesn't have to be hurricane conditions to get everything wet on deck, and if you have been on deck you will certainly be wet when you go below.

Hurricane conditions start at 64 knots, not something I enjoy and I avoid it when I can, but certainly not that rare.
Littlechay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:45   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytrix
I'd suggest waiting 6 months or until the start of next season. The iPad certainly could be a good choice. But with Apple being the only manufacturer, you get one choice.

With the windows 8 tablets coming out this fall and the number of android tablets, one can hope that someone might release a more durable tablet - sort of like the panasonic tough book is for laptops. Although hopefully not with the price increase one pays when buying a toughbook. The other benefit to a windows 8 tablet is any program that runs on windows should work with it and so would any usb devices..etc.

If nothing comes along that would work or you really can't wait, iPad would certainly do the job, but it is far more fragile than a typical marine GPS.
Be careful with windows 8 tablets. From what I understand Windows 8 ARM will only run the metro apps. Not all windows programs. An intel based Windows 8 tablet will run full fledged windows programs at the expense of a reduced battery life.
Jude2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:07   #22

Boat: Cal 2-27

I am an android fan. Have 2 phones. Both android. 1 personal and one business. I have never liked the batter life on a single android that I have owned. I do have an older Ipad. Going to upgrade to the one with the gps. Battery life is the best I have ever seen on a tablet. For me, battery life is important.

On the androids, I have the navionics app. Works great for a phone. I also have 8 batteries that I can bring with me. They can be bought on amazon 2 plus a charger for 15 dollars though I will say that 1 ipad charge will beat my 8 android batteries.
Old 10-07-2012, 15:10   #23

Re: Is an IPAD with InavX Going To Be The Best ?

The recently announced Google Nexus 7 tablet at $200 / $250 might change this debate. It includes a built-in GPS without having to purchase the high-end iPad with 3G/4G. I did some spot-checking and there are several inexpensive navigation programs with chart downloads available. This will be a 7" tablet, 2/3's the size of an iPad and 1/2 to 1/3 the price. This might fit the niche for a navigation device along with an ebook reader, email and web browser, when connected to local wifi hotspots. I'm going to be watching as Google starts shipping these in a couple of weeks.
Don
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 15:13   #24

Boat: Cal 2-27

I'll keep my eyes out. I like android best, but like some of the things mentioned earlier. If this was good to go, it could change things
Old 10-07-2012, 15:27   #25

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatsail View Post
I am an android fan. Have 2 phones. Both android. 1 personal and one business. I have never liked the batter life on a single android that I have owned. I do have an older Ipad. Going to upgrade to the one with the gps. Battery life is the best I have ever seen on a tablet. For me, battery life is important.

On the androids, I have the navionics app. Works great for a phone. I also have 8 batteries that I can bring with me. They can be bought on amazon 2 plus a charger for 15 dollars though I will say that 1 ipad charge will beat my 8 android batteries.
I wouldn't compare battery life between a phone and tablet. Most phones with typical use last a day and that's it. My iPhone, Android and Windows phone all were about the same.

My wife uses the Acer Iconia A500 tab and it lasts quite some time without recharging. I haven't really kept track, but we're talking days.

I think there's going to be a lot of options coming out this fall though.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 17:53   #26

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Ipad works well on a boat.
As a chartplotter I use Memory-Map, Pocket Nav
Navionics for tides and current
AnchorAlert for a good nights sleep
Intellicast HD, The Weather Channel & WunderMap for weather
WeatherTrack for GRIB weather files & updates
Keeps all you maintanance manuals also.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post684762
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iNavX, Ipad, ipad, inavx