Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2011, 02:26   #16

Boat: Bavaria 37
Re: iPhone Chart Application

Yes I Know...
But the question is still there : how to configure the iPhone to be sure to have nothing to pay in a foreign country when using it with Navionics or other GPS system ?
Maybe it depends on the country where you brought the iPhone ? Or of the of the operator (I mean a network like ATT in the US) ? I don't know... But a lot of people don't use their iPhone when traveling (for data without wifi) because of the fact the answer to this question is difficult to obtain. If you go to apple, they will say "no problem" but when coming back you will have an extra invoice from your operator and to pay (it can be very expansive !)...
Jacques2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:28   #17
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Simply turn OFF "Data Roaming" in the "Settings" "General" "Network" of the iPhone and you will not be charged for usage in the foreign country. Of course be sure to download what ever you need before visiting the foreign country.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:41   #18

Boat: Bavaria 37

Thanks !
I will try and of course it will work, but I hope it will be really be without any charge (even when the logo of the operator will be there on the top left side near the "bars" which indicate the quality of reception)....
But I am confident with you (because I use a lot your software on my MacBook)... So... I'll tell you when back in my country...
Jacques2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:51   #19

Thanks for the info GPSNavx, I have been annoyed by the same problem with my iphone 3g.
Old 05-04-2011, 17:30   #20
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques2
Thanks !
I will try and of course it will work, but I hope it will be really be without any charge (even when the logo of the operator will be there on the top left side near the "bars" which indicate the quality of reception)....
But I am confident with you (because I use a lot your software on my MacBook)... So... I'll tell you when back in my country...
You will not be charged anything as long as you do not make or receive calls or send texts or check your voicemails. There's no way to completely disable the phone comms while leaving the gps running. Make sure cellular data roaming is off.

Of course off shore the phone comms will have no service. But the navionics app will work fine.

I sailed France, Corsica , Sardinia , scily, Italy and Greece this summer and the app worked fine. It's all preloaded onto the iphone

Dave
Old 05-04-2011, 18:34   #21

Boat: Tartan 30

I have GPSNavx and Charts and Tides on a 3gs with older IOS3...

GPSNavX downloads the maps as you need them. You can select the maps you will need while you are at port and have a connection, but that is not so simple unless you know exactly which charts you will need and/or you only want a chart or two.

Charts & Tides definitely stores all the charts locally. I chose Charts & Tides over Navionics for 2 reasons. The most important reason is that Navionics only works with IOS4. So if you have not (or cannot) upgrade your phone to the latest software, don't buy it. Charts and Tides works fine with older firmware....

I would have prefered Navionics charts based on other peoples opinions. But the other really awsome benefit of Charts & Tides is the Active Captain data, that is also stored locally, no need to connect to the network except to update it whenever you want. I have no complaints so far, although, I haven't really used it much other than playing around, but it seems solid.

There are applications that can be installed only on a jailbroken Iphone that will let you turn on/off settings such as 3g, 2g, and wifi separately. Its called SBsettings and is standard fare if you do a the whole jailbreaking thing...
Old 05-04-2011, 18:48   #22
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I think you are referring to iNavX for iPhone/iPad. iNavX does download charts, but entire regions can be downloaded all at once (i.e. NOAA East, NOAA West, CHS Vancouver, Navionics 3XG Caribbean, etc.). Once charts are downloaded they are stored locally on the iPhone/iPad ready to use at anytime.

The benefit of being able to download charts is: A) You only need to store on your device the region and/or charts you want, B) you can update the charts whenever you want. C) You can get new regions as you need them. D) The charts come from the official sources (i.e. NOAA, CHS). E) One app instead of several to cover different regions.

iNavX runs on iOS 3 or later, but takes full advantage of the iOS 4 features.

All the iOS marine nav apps have different benefits/features. The good thing is all are relatively low cost and can be used in parallel as the GPS on iPhone 4 and iPad 3G is a shared resource.

Jailbreaking is not required to turn off WiFi and/or 3G. It can be done in the iOS "Settings".
Old 05-04-2011, 18:58   #23

Boat: Tartan 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPSNavX View Post
I think you are referring to iNavX for iPhone/iPad. iNavX does download charts, but entire regions can be downloaded all at once (i.e. NOAA East, NOAA West, CHS Vancouver, Navionics 3XG, etc.). Once charts are downloaded they are stored locally on the iPhone/iPad ready to use at anytime.

The benefit of being able to download charts is: A) You only need to store on your device the region and/or charts you want, B) you can update the charts whenever you want. C) You can get new regions as you need them. D) The charts come from the official sources (i.e. NOAA, CHS). E) One app instead of several to cover different regions.

iNavX runs on iOS 3 or later, but takes full advantage of the iOS 4 features.

All the iOS marine nav apps have different benefits/features. The good thing is all are relatively low cost and can be used in parallel as the GPS on iPhone 4 and iPad 3G is a shared resource.

Jailbreaking is not required to turn off WiFi and/or 3G. It can be done in the iOS "Settings".
Yes, sorry, I meant InavX. I must either have an older version or I just can't figure out how to download entire regions. I get single charts at a time, but searching for them is probably not as difficult as I implied before. Its just not nearly as convenient as having everything already stored locally.
Old 05-04-2011, 19:03   #24
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The latest version is iNavX 3.2.3. When you select any chart and it is not already downloaded, you have the choice to download that specific chart or the entire region.

To insure you have the latest version of iNavX on your iPhone/iPad select "App Store", then select "Updates".

Lots more tips about iNavX use here..

iNavX Tips and Tricks

Tags
charts, iphone