Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2014, 10:46   #1

Boat: Seadog 30
IPad Software?

Hi guys n gals

I am wondering if anyone out there would give me a brief laymans explanation of the pros and cons of the various software packages available for thr iPad.
I'm thinking about things like Navionics SEAiq iSailor etc.
Captain Ludd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2014, 16:54   #2

Boat: 1985 Catalina 30 Std Rig
Re: IPad software ?

I use Navionics on an iPad mini retina and an iPad 2 with a Badelf Pro Bluetooth GPS.

Works pretty well as long as the weather cooperates. No bimini on the boat yet and in the sun my iPad mini retina in a black case overheated last weekend. I was using it at the helm and it shutdown.
Downtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2014, 17:38   #3

First of all, I would never use my iPad (or even my latop) as my primary navigation tool. You will always want to have at least a Garmin handheld or an actually chartplotter unit; laptop and ipads are just not designed for salt-water rich enviroment, for getting bumped and tossed around.

iSailor is really quite good for planning your trip, but if I recall it doesn't include your GPS location, so you use it for planning, figuring out stops, distances, fuel consumption. Plus the maps are cheap.

MAXSEA, which makes a great software for laptops, just came out with an iPad app. I haven't tried it, but knowing the maxSea software, it's going to be good. Their software is easy to use, with a good interface. It's a lighter version of Adrena, which racers use.

MaxSea | Marine Navigation Software

Navionics is better than iSailor, more of a "real" navigation software.
ByronShirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2014, 17:56   #4

Boat: N/M 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ludd View Post
Hi guys n gals

I am wondering if anyone out there would give me a brief laymans explanation of the pros and cons of the various software packages available for thr iPad.
I'm thinking about things like Navionics SEAiq iSailor etc.
Can you give us an indication of what you are expecting to do with your iPad? e.g., it's your entire Navigation system, you want to use it for web browsing, it's a backup system if your primary navigation dies, or something entirely different?

- rob/beetle
beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2014, 00:46   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtime View Post
I use Navionics on an iPad mini retina and an iPad 2 with a Badelf Pro Bluetooth GPS.

Works pretty well as long as the weather cooperates. No bimini on the boat yet and in the sun my iPad mini retina in a black case overheated last weekend. I was using it at the helm and it shutdown.
Thanks

Do you use the Badelf because you don't have or don't like the iPad gps ?
Old 19-04-2014, 00:48   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle View Post
Can you give us an indication of what you are expecting to do with your iPad? e.g., it's your entire Navigation system, you want to use it for web browsing, it's a backup system if your primary navigation dies, or something entirely different?

- rob/beetle
It would be for a backup and perhaps a more convenient way to develop a passage plan.
Old 19-04-2014, 02:53   #7

A comprehensive list of navigation apps is here:
i-Marine Apps
Rick R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2014, 03:49   #8
cruiser

We use iNavX on both of our iPads. IPad 1 and IPad air. The Ipad needs to be a model with a built in gps antenna in order to function without the internet. The newer ipads call it cellular service, but that doesn't mean you need to have cell service for the navigation software to work. Their terminology is confusing. Both of ours work far out at sea, to check your model for gps, simply turn off the wifi and cell service and see if it still works using your app.

Maxsea and Nobeltec also have apps which are supposed to be good, but I only have those on our pc. We also chart our course using paper charts along with any of the six gps units onboard. Both android phones have an app installed to make then into a handheld gps independent of the internet or cell service. Samsung Galaxy 4 models.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2014, 05:33   #9

Boat: 1985 Catalina 30 Std Rig

Quote:
Thanks

I use the badelf because I already have the non-cellular iPads. Work pays for them so I'm not one to complain. Much cheaper than 3G iPads and does tracking as well.

My co-owner also has the same iPads so it works out well. I'm also playing with opencpn on a raspberry pi hooked up to my 12v tv as a toy. I'm a geek at heart.
Downtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2014, 05:53   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
A comprehensive list of navigation apps is here:
i-Marine Apps
What a great link, thanks
Old 19-04-2014, 05:55   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
We use iNavX on both of our iPads. IPad 1 and IPad air. The Ipad needs to be a model with a built in gps antenna in order to function without the internet. The newer ipads call it cellular service, but that doesn't mean you need to have cell service for the navigation software to work. Their terminology is confusing. Both of ours work far out at sea, to check your model for gps, simply turn off the wifi and cell service and see if it still works using your app.

Maxsea and Nobeltec also have apps which are supposed to be good, but I only have those on our pc. We also chart our course using paper charts along with any of the six gps units onboard. Both android phones have an app installed to make then into a handheld gps independent of the internet or cell service. Samsung Galaxy 4 models.
Thanks
Any particular reason you chose iNavX ?
Old 19-04-2014, 05:56   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtime View Post
I use the badelf because I already have the non-cellular iPads. Work pays for them so I'm not one to complain. Much cheaper than 3G iPads and does tracking as well.

My co-owner also has the same iPads so it works out well. I'm also playing with opencpn on a raspberry pi hooked up to my 12v tv as a toy. I'm a geek at heart.
I see, a geek eh
Old 19-04-2014, 06:14   #13

Quote:
Thanks

It is easy to determine if a iPad has a built in GPS. There is a black band across the top. Badelf performs exactly the same as the built in GPS, and costs the same too. Badelf is a great device if you already have a non GPS iPad. But if you plan to buy an iPad, get one with the built in GPS.
Rick R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2014, 06:34   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
It is easy to determine if a iPad has a built in GPS. There is a black band across the top. Badelf performs exactly the same as the built in GPS, and costs the same too. Badelf is a great device if you already have a non GPS iPad. But if you plan to buy an iPad, get one with the built in GPS.
Yep I did that already.
Just trying to figure out what app to get.
It's getting clearer…….slowly
Old 19-04-2014, 07:00   #15

Boat: CSY 37 Plan B

An Ipad in a Lifeproof case will hold up to the environment just as well or better than any Garmin, Raymarine etc. If you think a Garmin handheld is any more accurate or reliable, you are fooling yourself. Ipads are a very legitimate navigation tool, however relying on them alone is just as dumb as relying on just your charplotter alone. The GPS chip in Ipads is just as accurate or more so than the one in your chartplotter. I've had a chartplotter lose signal, get confused etc, while my Ipad has always been spot on. As far as software goes, it's like an anchor discussion, or religion..

I have on my Ipad Inavx, Navionics, isailor and my favorite Garmin. Inavx is a non intuitive pain in the butt, Navionics is historically inaccurate in the areas I'm sailing (Keys & Bahamas), Isailor is just there and Garmin is used every single trip.. I use my Ipad mini with the garmin app as my main plotter, backup being a 740s that normally runs my radar and sonar. I've also got paper, 2 handhelds, an additional Ipad, Iphone and a 3010c as backup..

The garmin app is using the same exact G2 bluecharts (explorer charts) as the plotters, plus has active captain built in and downloaded with the map so you don't need internet. It gives all the information from coordinates, reviews, contact information etc all permanently stored on your ipad. Not to mention I can plan a trip in my berth and hit send and it's on my chartplotter..

This isn't rocket science folks, they are maps and gps, it's not new and it doesn't require thousands of dollars to put the little sailboat icon in the correct position..

Tags
Ipad, software, ipad