Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2018, 21:05   #31
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: iPad Navigation Using SEAiq App (User Reviews)

In another thread I saw someone who is not a SEAiq user dismissing it after he downloaded it and looked at an inlet in Florida.

He was not satisfied with the display of the chart he viewed of the St. Augustine Inlet. Since he mentioned SEAiq, I was curious to see the chart myself.

I looked at the same chart location (St. Augustine Inlet) using SEAiq on my iPad. It can be displayed as a vector chart or as a raster chart image.

By clicking on the “Caution” symbol , clearly shown in the middle of the inlet, SEAiq opened up a dialog box that gives details about the inlet (or any location). The details or information differ based on location. It explained that the chart did not show buoys or depth in that inlet because the inlet has constantly shifting sand that changes the depth and location of the channel, and thus the buoys are moved frequently. It is best to look for “Local Knowledge” before entering that inlet (and others too).

I then viewed the same inlet using the SEAiq RASTER chart. Of course the raster chart is essentially a scan of the NOAA paper charts information and design. It looks like a paper chart.

When looking at the inlet area on the raster chart, I touched (using my finger on my ipad) the symbol for “caution” that is in the middle of the St. Augustine Inlet. This information symbol is clearly marked in a yelllow triangular shaped caution icon.

This opened up a dialog box that had local knowledge notes from Waterway Guide.

I have included a screen shot of the Vector Chart, and the Raster Chart image and a screen shot of the detailed “information” note (from Waterway Guide, but embedded in SEAiq). This note was added in January 2018. See below. Read the note from Waterway Guide, and remember this is embedded within the SEAiq app.

Put simply, it was nice to have the local knowledge database of Waterway Guide embedded in the SEAiq app, and available (by choice) within the charts by simply touching the “Caution” symbol and looking for details on a specific point on the chart.

As I have said before, I am not an expert on use of this software. At the time of this writing, I have just installed it a few days ago on my new iPad Pro, so I am still learning its features. But, given my “new user” status so far, I am finding it intuitive and like the features it has and the ease of use. It has a surprising amount of embedded information within it and options I like for presenting the information.

I hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	37B5B8D4-B278-4372-9A58-0745F543B987.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	436.2 KB
ID:	172683   Click image for larger version

Name:	949BA80A-3098-4B68-AC9C-A2006F09CB7F.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	375.9 KB
ID:	172684  

Name:	188671D7-6828-4C84-867E-41B070F3E797.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	410.5 KB
ID:	172685  
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 08:02   #32
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyar View Post
Does the GPS functionality only work on the paid versions of the App?

I'm currently evaluating which app to use going forward after my paid versions of Navionics and Bluechart are no longer working. SEAiq seems nice but I can't seem to get the app to locate my position on either my iphone or ipad.
This FAQ (from SEAiq) may have the answer to your question:

Q: Why aren't I getting position on my iPad/iPhone? All my other apps seem to work fine.

A: Apple's IOS allows you to control which apps have access to your iPad/iPhone GPS location and you may either have turned OFF Location Services for all apps or not give permission to SEAiq then you first run it. Go to IOS Settings / Privacy / Location Services. Make sure Location Services is turned ON and that the SEAiq app permission is While Using the App or Always (depending on your preference). When you return to SEAiq it should have your position. iPad users should be sure to read this for more information about GPS on iPads.
One other possible cause is that you have turned on use of an external NMEA location data. Go to Settings / NMEA and AIS and check that this is turned off (if you are not using this feature).
Old 29-06-2018, 08:10   #33
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Some months ago I had some basic questions about which iPad model to use and this was driven by the fact that I have been using an Apple iPad 4th Generation WIFI (only).

I recently bought a iPad Pro 12.9” WIFI+CEL, after doing some research, and am very happy with it. It is much faster, easier for me to read (larger screen area), allows the use of the Apple Pencil, and has the built-in GPS I wanted, along with many other improvements.

I recognize that some sailors may want to use another device (perhaps a GPS dongle or Bluetooth device for GPS) and may have questions about this.

The SEAiq has a page answering several questions about which Apple mobile devices are suitable, with a FAQ.

Here is one excerpt from that more detailed page:
Choosing an iPad | SEAiq Pilot

“If you are planning to use SEAiq on your iPad while on the water, we recommend purchasing a model with cellular data support, even if you do not plan to actually purchasing a cellular data contract (which is not required for the True GPS to work). The key point is that the True GPS capability happens to only come on the iPads that have support for cellular data, but the True GPS does not actually use the cellular data.

Q: Do I need to purchase a cellular data plan in order to use True GPS?
A: No. You do not need to purchase a contract to use True GPS.

Q: Do using True GPS require cellular data being turned on?
A: No. True GPS will work even with no access to cellular data disabled on the device. Note that Assisted GPS requires cellular data to be enabled.

Q: If I have an iPad without True GPS, are there any ways to add GPS via an accessory?
A: Yes. SEAiq works with the BadElf GPS Pro and the Dual Electronics XGPS150A.
______

See the SEAiq site for more info. I am simply posting this to help others find a few answers to things I wondered about earlier.
Old 29-06-2018, 08:24   #34

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

But remember that if you want ais, you will want an xb8000, and so won't need GPS from your iPad. Alternatively, you can tell seaiq to get gps from your iPhone.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 10:06   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

However, does the Seaiq app use data from the Vesper?
For instance my IPad Pro connects to my Zeus touch via WiFi and gets GPS data for use with Navionics, but it won’t use that data with Garmin blue chart, so I think the app matters too of course.

If it’s worth anything the external GPS are more accurate than the internal GPS in an IPad, and IPad GPS is essentially a cell phone GPS which is a little dependent on triangulation from cell towers to get its best accuracy.
May not matter much for Marine navigation though
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 10:15   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

iPad Navigation Using SEAiq App (User Reviews)

OK downloaded the app.
I can’t get it to download charts, how do you go about doing that?
I went to this page, turned on the buttons, nothing happens?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0393.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	208.4 KB
ID:	172697
Old 29-06-2018, 10:29   #37
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
OK downloaded the app.
I can’t get it to download charts, how do you go about doing that?
I went to this page, turned on the buttons, nothing happens?Attachment 172697
Hi.
Here is a link to the SEAiq Documentation (user guide).
SEAiq Manual

NOTE! Make sure you have installed the SEAiq USA version of the app. There are several versions. You will want the RECREATIONAL “SEAiq USA” version.

Be aware there is a “Pilot” version of the app, which is different and more costly. The User Guide has some features specific to the PILOT version.

Here is what it says about downloading charts (this can take some time).

Charts (SEAiq USA)

Summary: Select the regions you want charts for and press Update to download them.

Instructions

This app provides simple access to all the vector and raster charts published by NOAA and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. The name of each region is displayed along with whether it has been selected. Simply select the regions corresponding to the areas you want. You can remove regions at any time and add regions whenever you are connected to the internet.

After selecting the desired regions, press the Update button. Charts for regions you have selected will be downloaded. Charts for regions newly disabled will be removed.

Your device must be connected to the internet to be able to download charts. The size of the data for charts is displayed with each region. We recommend using a WiFi connection to download charts. Once downloaded, charts are available for offline use (when you do not have internet or cell access).

After charts have been downloaded, select the Navigate tab to return to the digital chart display. Each chart is shown with a magenta outline. You can zoom to view the charts using normal gestures.

When viewing a chart for the first time, there may be a delay as the chart is processed to prepare it for viewing. Charts can require a significant amount of processing since they are being formatted specifically for your device and the options you have selected.

Later, return to the Charts tab for chart updates or to add/remove regions. Any region with missing or out-of-date charts will be displayed in red. When updating, only the new or changed charts for a region are downloaded. NOAA recommends updating your charts at least once a week.

Note that charts are downloaded only onto the current device. If you use this app on a different device you will need to select the regions you want on it and download those as well.
Old 29-06-2018, 10:37   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yeah I have done all that, and I’m connected right now to an 87 meg connection, so thats not the issue either.
However this is the free app, I think it’s good for seven days it said when I downloaded it, it is the SEAiq USA app.
This is what I get when I press the update button

Name:	IMG_0396.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	213.6 KB
ID:	172700
Old 29-06-2018, 10:57   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Maybe charts.noaa.gov site is down?
It does connect to the Vesper and get cog, sog, position data and AIS data though
Old 29-06-2018, 11:52   #40
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Maybe charts.noaa.gov site is down?
It does connect to the Vesper and get cog, sog, position data and AIS data though
Hmmm. I don’t know the answer to why it would not download.
Mine went very smoothly.
I was using the FREE app too, to try it before buying it (I then bought the $4.99 upgrade). So, it does download charts to the free app.

I selected the charts I wanted (slider to right) and then clicked “Download” and he process started. It took a few hours, and a dialog box was open showing the progress of the download.

I would try to download just one chart package first, reselecting one area.
Or try later. Perhaps those charts are being updated at NOAA site and may be temporarily OFFline.

Good luck.
Old 29-06-2018, 12:15   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It’s working now, I think the government site was down.
However I can’t find anywhere to pay for the app, I would think that would be an easy to find thing?
Mine only took a few minutes to download and I got the whole east coast, connection speed is fast here.
Old 29-06-2018, 12:24   #42

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

For those new to phone or tablet navigation and just want to see if they like it try SeaPilot for Android before buying SeaIQ. It's free with free vector charts for the US and quite robust.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 13:16   #43
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
It’s working now, I think the government site was down.
However I can’t find anywhere to pay for the app, I would think that would be an easy to find thing?
Mine only took a few minutes to download and I got the whole east coast, connection speed is fast here.
Look at the bottom menu. Select “Settings” then look at the top line “Store” and touch that (it has a shopping cart symbol). That will show you the $4.99 upgrade features. Touch that, enter your Apple Store ID, and done.

On that Settings page you will see other things you an select (options). I am still reading about them, and will write something about them in the future.
Old 29-06-2018, 13:53   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I found it and paid.
The warnings and anchorages. I can select one but to doesn’t tell me anything except it’s waterway guide, is there a way to get reports?
Also in the setup you can choose Active Captain, but I don’t see any AC data?
I’m learning it too, since I know Blue Charts is going away, I’m searching for it’s replacement.
Old 29-06-2018, 15:15   #45
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I found it and paid.
The warnings and anchorages. I can select one but to doesn’t tell me anything except it’s waterway guide, is there a way to get reports?
Also in the setup you can choose Active Captain, but I don’t see any AC data?
I’m learning it too, since I know Blue Charts is going away, I’m searching for it’s replacement.
I am not sure what you mean by question above.

When I click (put my finger on iPad) over the symbol, up pops a screen. I then read the note for that symbol (in this case it was for the St. Augustine Inlet, with note by Waterway Guide). I had previously selected Waterway Guide (enabled it in Settings). I posted a screen shot of what I see when I do that on that symbol in that specific location. I have not tried others yet, as I am busy on other things.

I will post the screen shot again.

_____

As for Active Captain, I posted on first page of this thread a text clip from SEAiq website that addressed the AC use issue. It is described on the website, and Waterway Guide is mentioned there too.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BF3555B9-15ED-41D8-B17C-BEB1F100D44B.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	375.9 KB
ID:	172718  

Tags
Ipad, navigation, reviews