Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2018, 16:05   #16
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: iPad Navigation Using SEAiq App (User Reviews)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kelly View Post
Be aware that SEAiq needs iOS 10 to run. My old iPad 4 runs on iOS 9.3.5 and is 'up to date' which suggests that SEAiq may only run on newer iPads.

Can anyone advise otherwise?
I currently have an "old" iPad 4th Generation (Retina) that has iOS 10.3.3 (automatically updated).

You may want to try updating your iOS.

Hope that helps.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 16:37   #17

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Hi Steadman. As you know, I recently took over a new boat which has a fairly good touch-screen raymarine chartplotter and also had an old iPad with isailor running on it (independently, so it shows only position and no instruments). It has an iPad bracket in the cockpit in front of the helm. Just before setting off, I installed a vesper xb8000. I now use my iPad Pro (12”) mounted in landscape mode in the cockpit, showing the (free) nz raster maps, with ais and instruments displayed via the xb8000 over wifi.

My reasons for choosing SEAiq were that it uses the free proper government NZ raster maps, it’s very quick and smooth when zooming and quilting these, it specifically interfaces with the xb8000, and it requires no subscription. I found it truly excellent, particularly having the very large display at such high resolution.

I agree that it would be very nice to be able to customise the overlay display of instrument data. I also found the night mode to be very hard to read, but instead used “dusk” mode at lowest brightness and was very happy with that.

The ais display is very nice. One feature I would like (that a very small number of systems have) would be to be able to double-click on an ais target and have the vhf call that vessel. This isn’t much of a deal inshore though, just a nice feature I’ve seen before.

It also works well on my iPhone. I found this very handy as skipper when off-watch, as I could quickly check out instruments and time to next interesting location while in my bunk. In addition, this means we have four completely independent chart plotter systems on board, each with its own gps data, of which only two are dependent on house power to operate.

Although my iPad Pro is under the bimini and in a cover, it’s correct to say it wouldn’t be weatherproof in heavy rain. I am considering building a new binnacle for it and the other instruments, with a perspex cover for additional protection.

Comparison of isailor with its vector maps and seaiq with the raster maps is laughable. The vector maps miss so much detail particularly near harbours I would not want to be relying on them except in an emergency. YMMV in countries other than nz, of course.

I am very happy with seaiq and use it in preference to any fixed chart plotter, with the possible exception of the truly tremendously expensive large-screen modern systems. Even those I would be reluctant to purchase because of future-proofing and subscription issues. I know that I use my iPad Pro for many things apart from chartplotting (reading all the yachting magazines for a start!), and I also know that I will be able to sell it for a good price and upgrade in the near future.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 20:36   #18

Don’t know for sure, but go to SEAiq website or email them. They may be able to provide an archive version that will run on your older iOS.
Eric Sellix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 20:50   #19

I am also an aflicianodo of SEAiq using it from the west court of US across the Pacific to Australia, and back again. The only weakness I see in SEAiq is in its inability to use chart collections like those available to iNavX - whole regions of navionics at prices reasonable for us world cruisers. Chart world and primar are set up for commercial boats and outside of recreational boaters. I have brought this to seaiq’s attention, and I think if enough of us put a little pressure on, they might up the priority for this. Of course in US waters, so far, this is not a problem because of NOOA.
Eric Sellix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2018, 09:40   #20
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

UPDATE:

I just purchased a new iPad Pro 12.9” and have now installed SEAiq (USA) on it.
This inexpensive navigation app is awesome!

To start, I chose to download the FREE NOAA charts from Key West to Georgia (Florida East Coast) and from Florida to Norfolk. It took several hours to do the download, which was automatic and also included automatic updating. It was very easy and only took a few clicks. I was surprised because I expected it to be more difficult, but the app made it easy. Once installed, the app seamlessly matches your chosen position to the chart, and displays the appropriate chart for you. Very easy, and seamless. It is like looking at one big chart.

I chose the USA version of this app. If you are located outside of the USA, you will want to choose one of the other versions of the app (also available on the Apple App Store, so you can use charts from those areas. This USA version includes all coastal waters of the USA, USVI, Puerto Rico, etc.

I chose for the app to show an overlay of winds and currents on the chart. That is nice to see too. I consider that useful. It shows the currents such as the location of the Gulf Stream and side currents (eddies) and the varying current speed too. Wind speed is indicated by wind arrows.

I also chose for the app to display an overlay of AIS from boats in that area. How cool! I zoomed in to look at the details for the boats and could see the data was live, with relevant info I wanted to see via AIS, including the other boat’s name, MMSI number, heading, speed. Just what I needed.

The display is very nice on this size iPad. And it was easy to navigate the app, by using typical iPad pinch and zoom with fingers. I zoomed into some ports to see the details, and the charts look very good. Symbols are easy to read too, with ATON colors appearing as bright green and red with symbols. I also like that this app has multiple settings for display brightness (Day, Dusk, Night).

And, so far this has not cost me an arm and a leg!

I am by no means an expert on this yet, and have a lot to learn about it, but so far I have found it easier to use than expected, very easy to read the charts, intuitive, and very low cost. And, I trust the NOAA charts. I like that they are updated every month, and that this app will check for updates and it is so easy to update them when needed.

I did use this same app (on a different iPad) during a 1200nm voyage from Florida to Maine. So, I do have some practical use experience with it on a voyage. I liked it then, which motivated me to select it for my own iPad for future use on other voyages.

I am very pleased.
Old 26-06-2018, 09:45   #21
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
Hi Steadman. As you know, I recently took over a new boat which has a fairly good touch-screen raymarine chartplotter and also had an old iPad with isailor running on it (independently, so it shows only position and no instruments). It has an iPad bracket in the cockpit in front of the helm. Just before setting off, I installed a vesper xb8000. I now use my iPad Pro (12”) mounted in landscape mode in the cockpit, showing the (free) nz raster maps, with ais and instruments displayed via the xb8000 over wifi.

My reasons for choosing SEAiq were that it uses the free proper government NZ raster maps, it’s very quick and smooth when zooming and quilting these, it specifically interfaces with the xb8000, and it requires no subscription. I found it truly excellent, particularly having the very large display at such high resolution.

I agree that it would be very nice to be able to customise the overlay display of instrument data. I also found the night mode to be very hard to read, but instead used “dusk” mode at lowest brightness and was very happy with that.

The ais display is very nice. One feature I would like (that a very small number of systems have) would be to be able to double-click on an ais target and have the vhf call that vessel. This isn’t much of a deal inshore though, just a nice feature I’ve seen before.

It also works well on my iPhone. I found this very handy as skipper when off-watch, as I could quickly check out instruments and time to next interesting location while in my bunk. In addition, this means we have four completely independent chart plotter systems on board, each with its own gps data, of which only two are dependent on house power to operate.

Although my iPad Pro is under the bimini and in a cover, it’s correct to say it wouldn’t be weatherproof in heavy rain. I am considering building a new binnacle for it and the other instruments, with a perspex cover for additional protection.

Comparison of isailor with its vector maps and seaiq with the raster maps is laughable. The vector maps miss so much detail particularly near harbours I would not want to be relying on them except in an emergency. YMMV in countries other than nz, of course.

I am very happy with seaiq and use it in preference to any fixed chart plotter, with the possible exception of the truly tremendously expensive large-screen modern systems. Even those I would be reluctant to purchase because of future-proofing and subscription issues. I know that I use my iPad Pro for many things apart from chartplotting (reading all the yachting magazines for a start!), and I also know that I will be able to sell it for a good price and upgrade in the near future.
Hi Charles!
Very good post/review! Thanks for adding your observations about the app. I just now saw this and think your detailed description should be helpful to others. I concur on several points you made. I also think your last point is a very good one as one considers the cost of chart plotters and systems for use on small boats...or not so small boats.

Old 26-06-2018, 12:12   #22

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Steadman,

Your currently viewing AIS data from the internet right? You would need to install an AIS receiver and connect it via Bluetooth at sea I presume.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2018, 14:17   #23
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
Steadman,

Your currently viewing AIS data from the internet right? You would need to install an AIS receiver and connect it via Bluetooth at sea I presume.
Yes, I suspect you are right. I am on the internet, on land now, not on a boat now. I assume the info was coming from an internet source and overlay on top of the chart by the App.

You make a good point about needing an AIS receiver or transciever when at sea.

I was on a trip where the Captain often had Cell phone reception when we were not far off the coast. At the time I did not have a GPS capable iPad and no SIM to use.
Old 26-06-2018, 15:05   #24

Boat: Gib'Sea 402

I don't think a cell-phone has any role at all to play with AIS on board. Any AIS data off the internet can be up to several weeks old

You HAVE to have an AIS receiver on-board, and even then the data can be several minutes out of date particularly for Class B boats.
hoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2018, 09:58   #25

Boat: 1982 Beneteau First 42'

Does the GPS functionality only work on the paid versions of the App?

I'm currently evaluating which app to use going forward after my paid versions of Navionics and Bluechart are no longer working. SEAiq seems nice but I can't seem to get the app to locate my position on either my iphone or ipad.
Enyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2018, 10:44   #26
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I am still learning the system (app) and I am not on a boat at the moment (I am in Dallas).

But here are a few facts:

The FREE download of SEAiq USA allows you to see several features for seven days. Those are magenta colored and will disappear after the seven day tryout period. You can purchase those features for just $4.99

I think that $4.99 is a great deal.

Here are the features that come with that price:
1. Night Colors
2. Waypoints and Routes
3. Tracks
4. NMEA
5. AIS with CPA
6. Weather
7. Anchor Alarm

As I am not on a boat at the moment, I cannot try out those features (and I have other things to do now).

These features (or upgrade) are found via the “settings/store” icon shown at the bottom of the app screen.

Good luck on your decision.

Here is a screen shot I just took on my iPad. It shows a the area near Palm Beach Florida and Bahamas.

Notice the wind arrows (weather feature) the AIS icons for boats (AIS feature) and the current arrows (Gulf Stream) with knots of current.

As one zooms in or out, everything is easy to read, with some minor overlaps on text and symbols, but those clear up as one zooms in.

This screeen shot was taken on my iPad, while I am sitting on land, in Dallas.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5140C0B4-1F71-41EC-823D-2A456ABE0DF6.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	426.7 KB
ID:	172592  
Old 27-06-2018, 11:11   #27

Thank you. Sorry for the potentially stupid question but I can't seem to figure out how to read this chart.

In the first attachement I have a screen shot of the SeaIQ ap. The second is straight from NOAA. Can you tell me how the heck to read the depth on the first one? The soundings have 2 numbers. I've seen charts where the first number is in fathoms and the second is in feet. But clearly that cant be the case here. Is it in feet/inches? Anyway to change that to just feet?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image-1.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	172594   Click image for larger version

Name:	image 2.png
Views:	129
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	172595  

Old 27-06-2018, 11:37   #28
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyar View Post
Thank you. Sorry for the potentially stupid question but I can't seem to figure out how to read this chart.

In the first attachement I have a screen shot of the SeaIQ ap. The second is straight from NOAA. Can you tell me how the heck to read the depth on the first one? The soundings have 2 numbers. I've seen charts where the first number is in fathoms and the second is in feet. But clearly that cant be the case here. Is it in feet/inches? Anyway to change that to just feet?
Hi.

Each chart can be a different datum and depths can be in FEET or METERS or FATHOMS.

When I opened up SEAiq for the first time to look at a charted area, it showed “Depth in Meters” at the bottom of my screen. But, that is what I saw, you may be seeing something different.

My preference is for you or anyone to get a verified official resource or an expert opinion on some things as important as charts. I am no expert.

There is a book I highly suggest you read (I have read it) by Nigel Calder, called “How to Read a Nautical Chart.” It will explain many things and is a good book to have on your boat for reference. I believe it can also be purchased as an instant download (Kindle version). Here is a link. It only costs about $8 and is a very good reference that explains in details why some symbols and chart information is very important to know.

https://www.amazon.com/How-Read-Naut...o+read+a+chart

You can also look for FREE resources to explain how a chart is noted (or symbols used). Go to the NOAA site and look for Chart Number One. It is an illustrated list of symbols used on charts. Here is a link to the FREE download of this:

https://nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/publ...s-chart-1.html

But, to quickly answer your question about those tiny subscript numbers seen on SOME nautical charts....here is a quick explanation.

IF the chart is made with the soundings marked in FATHOMS (which are 6 feet), the numbers you will see will often have a SUBSCRIPT (lower level numeral) number (I cannot type it here on the forum).

For example you may see a number that has a large 5 with a smaller 5 subscript below that. That represents FIVE FATHOMS PLUS FIVE FEET or (5x6 = 30 PLUS 5 feet) or 35 feet depth, usually at MLLW (Mean Lower Low Water). Similarly a large 3 with a small subscript 3 would mean 21 feet (3x6 = 18 plus 3 = 21).

NOTE!
NOAA charts show soundings in FATHOMS and FEET with vertical numerals, and show soundings in METERS with sloping (italic) numerals.

Hope that helps!
Old 27-06-2018, 12:24   #29

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyar View Post

Feet and inches. With inches as a subscript. I'm assuming your settings can confirm the units.
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2018, 12:48   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrainstuff View Post
Feet and inches. With inches as a subscript. I'm assuming your settings can confirm the units.

Thanks, it's definitely set in feet but i wanted to confirm the subscript. Definitely makes the most sense, I just wish it would round to the nearest foot like I had it in Navionics/Garmin. A little easier on the eyes IMO.

Tags
Ipad, navigation, reviews