Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2017, 09:10   #16

Boat: 1979 Islander 36
Re: IPad Nav Software decision (again) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rramsey View Post
I used Navionics on my iPad4 and still like it. However, I recently installed a Miniplex3 multiplexer with WiFi. It sends all NMEA data over wifi. Navionics has no support for this (or ... hardly any) so I switched to iNavX, which does.

I now see other vessels using AIS and also depth, wind, speed and temperature on my iPad. So far so good. I can also plot a route on OpenCPN and easily transfer it to iNavX.Which is good because plotting routes in iNavX is horrible.

Last week I installed Weather Router on OpenCPN. It is still buggy but mostly does a good job of plotting routes in different weather. I transfer that route to iNavX.

So basically ... if you send NMEA over WiFi I would advise iNavX. If not I would stick to Navionics.

I also use iNavX with NMEA data sent over wifi. I use routes all the time and am happy with how they work.
macman4190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 10:03   #17

Boat: Albin 25

I wonder whether you can sync data between an iPad and an android phone with the app. And whether you can use your iPad licence to download the app to your android phone.
Sunsetrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 10:18   #18

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO32_Tazling View Post
I have been fairly happy for a few years with Navionics on Android tablets. I have had a few gripes -- one upgrade broke their tide display, for example -- but they fixed the bugs and I still find Navionics very usable.

Having committed to the Furuno First Watch wifi radar unit, I am now forced to buy an iPad (grrr). I have a very small chart table area so I can't be cluttering up the place with more displays, and a very small budget so I can't afford the big fancy multifunction screens. So using the iPad as a mobile, configurable display has its appeal.

Now I face the big decision: which app to buy for the iPad? Should I stick with Navionics, the devil I know? Or choose a new nav tool? I imagine this topic comes up regularly, sorry about the repetition, but the features keep changing...

In the past I just accepted the tablet as a standalone GPS/charting device. I used it for route planning, large-screen overview to supplement my handheld Garmin, and tide predictions. Now I see at least 2 new interesting possibilities.

As I do my research, I discover that the iPad apps offer new options like... possibly integration with the Furuno wifi radar so I could overlay radar onto my chart (Nobeltec TimeZero); possibly integration with NMEA/wifi hubs so I could display all my instrument data on one screen (iNavX). Maybe I could even make my tillerpilot steer a GPS course!

So I am now really perplexed. If anyone else has done all this research recently, could you share the short version? I think there are only 4 contenders:

iNavX
Navionics
TimeZero
iSailor

and in trawling their websites I'm overwhelmed by verbiage and still trying to figure out which can do what and how much it will cost me. I'm just interested in NMEA wifi integration (display and autopilot send) and Furuno 1st Watch integration. I don't really need google earth aerial imagery or 3 d projection, I'm quite comfortable reading paper charts :-) I don't need any fancy "guide to services and marinas," this is my home ground and I know pretty much everyone out there. I do absolutely need tide/current prediction as this is a major factor in these parts. I do need full offline operation as I have no form of internet or phone connectivity when cruising.

I cruise the Canadian west coast so free NOAA charts are not an option; I will have to buy charts no matter what. Can I port my Navionics charts into an iPad app? I have no idea. If anyone can educate me a bit on this bewildering new world, I'd really appreciate it. Every time I start googling around trying to understand all my options, I get overwhelmed and give up :-) gee, I'm starting to feel my age.
For me InavX is out, they force you to purchase the "free" NOAA charts which is total BS!

There's also SeaIQ and Garmin bluechart. Both have Active Captain integration. Navionics does not! This is a major feature. Not to mention Navionics is not terribly accurate in comparison to other apps on the same device!!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 12:01   #19

Boat: 1979 Islander 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
For me InavX is out, they force you to purchase the "free" NOAA charts which is total BS!

There's also SeaIQ and Garmin bluechart. Both have Active Captain integration. Navionics does not! This is a major feature. Not to mention Navionics is not terribly accurate in comparison to other apps on the same device!!

I have never been forced to download any charts. I did download the free NOAA charts, because they were free. They are freely listed in the store on the app as some of the available charts, but they are available for free.
macman4190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 12:18   #20

Boat: 1982 Morgan 383

I have Navionics on both an android phone and iPad and could share routes with my Navionics ID and a cell and or wifi connection. I was able to use the iPad at the helm when it wasnt raining or too sunny. I now have a small android pad with the navionics and openCPN apps, but have yet to test them in the "real world" of sailing. Meanwhile my chartplotter on a swing arm in the companionway, is on its last legs so I'll be doing this research as well.
Old 30-04-2017, 13:37   #21

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS

Looking at the Furuno web site my first question would be why on earth anyone would want to buy their wireless product in the first place? Access to the radar image is via an app but that app has no charting. So there is no way, it would seem, that one can overlay the radar onto a chart. Never mind integrating AIS as well. Perhaps that is all to come from Furuno in due course. However, without any guarantee of that, perhaps the money would have been better left in the bank.

As for iPad charting apps, my second question would be to what extent one has to remember that Apple, in their search for even greater profits to park offshore, cripple their devices. No US port. No SD card. So essentially one has a dumb consumption device.

That leaves the third question: what to consume. My own experience covers comparison over in excess of 1knm. Navionics v. iSailor v. Garmin Helm.

Navionics had some nice touches but, subjectively, the charts and interface were markedly inferior to iSailor. In turn, iSailor has add-ons which have to be paid for and rely on the black art of wireless networking which is even blacker for being wireless. The Garmin charts were in part downright dangerous for not showing important data but at the end of the day the software by simply and reliably replicating what was available to the chart plotter (with its numerous connectively options) was a clear winner. There were no problems and the functionality and control were the same as the plotter.

What would I do in your case? Setting aside regret, probably get iSailor and speak to the really helpful support people there. At least they will tell you what can and cannot be done.
Alita49DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 15:01   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolfP View Post
I have Navionics on both an android phone and iPad and could share routes with my Navionics ID and a cell and or wifi connection.
Rolf - could you expand on that? Were you ale to get Navionics on your phone as an adjunct to your iPad license (i.e. at no charge)? And does the Navionics on iPad update the android automatically like on the video? Or vice-versa?
Old 30-04-2017, 15:50   #23

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

I use isailor by Transas. I have no other chart plotter than my iPad on the binnacle with a ram mount. Isailor has been flawless for 5 years. It has AIS capability, as well.
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 15:54   #24

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

I'm a big fan of the Navionics app on my iphone mostly because of the SonarCharts which are the bees knees. Integrated with my DragonFly they make great companions. On the big boat we use Garmin equipment and use the Garmin chartplotter and Navionics side by side. Most of the time, the Navionics is more accurate.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 21:59   #25

Boat: 1982 Morgan 383

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsetrider View Post
Rolf - could you expand on that? Were you ale to get Navionics on your phone as an adjunct to your iPad license (i.e. at no charge)? And does the Navionics on iPad update the android automatically like on the video? Or vice-versa?
I paid for Navionics twice, and then yearly, but it's pretty cheap. The routes are stored in the Navionics​ Cloud somewhere so I can create one on one device and then retrieve it on another
Old 20-09-2017, 16:35   #26

Thanks hogHunter- I am content with Navionics on the iPad as I don't actually use my android phone for nav. I have several nav apps on the phone for backup purposes.

Tags
Ipad, software