Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2012, 05:39   #61

Boat: J/120
Re: iPad and Navionics Question

I always get a kick out of the iPad vs. Chartplotter discussions, mostly because it is clear that most people that oppose the iPad (or other tablet, I don't have a real preference) have never actually tried it.

We spent 20 days sailing across the Atlantic this summer. Onboard we had paper charts, a Raytheon chartplotter, a Garmin Handheld, an iPad, and 2 iPhones. All of the iThings had iNavX and Navionics loaded. Over the 20 days we used the chartplotter and Garmin exactly zero times. Never even turned them on. We used the paper charts quickly approaching land to confirm things. We used the iThings exclusively, day & night, in the sun, out in the cockpit, up on the bow, in the berth, wherever. We also used the iThings for AIS, for email and for looking at gribs and weather charts via a wireless sat phone connection. The iThings were freaking brilliant and while the iPad is a bit big to carry around all the time, an iPhone certainly is not (I wore mine around my neck along with the autopilot remote when on watch), nor would an iPad Mini.

The best part of an iThing is the value. For us, the value is infinite because the cost for cruising was zero. We already owned the 3 iThings before we even owned the boat! We use them every single day of the year for a million different things. All of our iThings are more than 2 years old. As e-readers, saving all that space needed for books and readable at night they are worth their weight in gold right there. They are incredibly useful on and off the boat. How many other things can you say that about? Sunglasses...

The value of the chartplotter and Garmin is zero. We never used them and they are only useful for one thing.

I've since removed the chartplotter as it is an "antique" in the modern world and had issues connecting to the GPS antenna (the most important function!). We'll keep the Garmin as a backup, but with three iThings with 3 separate GPS's. It's fourth string and will likely never see the field of play.
sv Shearwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2012, 08:38   #62
cruiser

I bought the new mini, for just that reason-- so it would be easier to handle, and fit in more pockets in weather gear">foul weather gear.

I have a question, though, and I plead newb-ness and ignorance: what is "AIS"?
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2012, 09:55   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
I bought the new mini, for just that reason-- so it would be easier to handle, and fit in more pockets in foul weather gear.

I have a question, though, and I plead newb-ness and ignorance: what is "AIS"?
And just as importantly, how is the iThing configured to receive it? WiFi?
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2012, 10:48   #64

I use both, fixed Garmin chartplotter (connected to working GPS receiver), and iPad with Navionics (good charts and nav module) and Navimatics (lousy charts and ActiveCaptain), plus some other gizmo apps (anchoralert, pocketgrib, weather, marinetraffic, nav rules ref, boaters ref, etc.).

The fixed chartplotter is my first point of reference when navigating, and always on and used at helm at all time. The iPad swiss army knife of boating/sailing is used by my mate to keep the helmsman in check, validate position against charted track, and for second opinion. We also use iPad (and Mac PC) to research and plan, to chart the track, and to get other info like gribs, weather, local knowledge.

I found fix chartplotter with dedicated GPS receiver installed up there to be more responsive. refresh rate much better, always good signal (unlike iPad without additional and well positioned GPS reciver), and much easier to read in all conditions (not glossy, no fingerprints, much easier to read in sun).

Both devices found place and use on our boat but I would not go out there without my fixed chartplotter (and without paper charts of course). The iPad is our reference and backup device.
Richard_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2012, 12:17   #65

Re: iPad and Navionics question

Hi GPSNavX, I'm a newbie so please bear with me as this has probably been covered, but I don't know where to look. The reports on iNavX (?) for iPad have been good and I want to buy it. Question: is it worth buying well ahead of the trip, or does the license expire after one year? I'm thinking multiple charters in the same area. Royco
royco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2012, 12:19   #66
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Once purchased, iNavX does not expire. All future updates are no charge. Downloaded charts remain on your iPad and functional until you would delete them.
Old 21-12-2012, 13:28   #67

Boat: Seafarer 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPSNavX View Post
Once purchased, iNavX does not expire. All future updates are no charge. Downloaded charts remain on your iPad and functional until you would delete them.
However you can only download them for a limited time. I feel like the last post is intentionally misleading. If you ever get a new iDevice and want to transfer charts without a full restore you will end up SOL. Basically the chart download bit is fragile and really only amounts to a rental. I wish I could get a refund. We have never found iNavX to be more than a waste of cash (mainly because of the charts issue).
engele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2012, 18:32   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozbullwinkle View Post
I always use paper charts in conjunction with the chartplotter and agree with you that anyone who doesn't use them is foolish and not being prudent in their passage planning.

We plan on leaving St Martin in the first week of March and will be also be heading for the San Blas islands before transitting the canal. We will have to exchange contact details as our paths should cross somewhere along the way. We will have VHF & a Satphone with wireless connectivity for net access.

What preparations are you making to your cat in St Martin to get it ready for the passage?
Regards,
Steve

Hi Steve, PM sent so as not to hijack the thread....

Surfer Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2012, 22:57   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by engele View Post
However you can only download them for a limited time. I feel like the last post is intentionally misleading. If you ever get a new iDevice and want to transfer charts without a full restore you will end up SOL. Basically the chart download bit is fragile and really only amounts to a rental. I wish I could get a refund. We have never found iNavX to be more than a waste of cash (mainly because of the charts issue).
Thank you engele, this is the kind of info I need. If I don't change iDevices will the software keep on working, and more importantly, do the charts expire after a year? BTW, only got this now as we are about 8 hours east of you. It is disturbing that you say the system is "a waste of cash.... mainly because of the charts issue". I really want this to work as it is a pain on most charter boats where there is only a plotter at the nav station and no repeater at the helm. We have over the past few years chartered Lag 440's and 500's in Croatia and on the flybridge there is only a fold-up window which fails miserably at keeping the paper charts dry!
Old 22-12-2012, 09:10   #70

Boat: J/120
If iNavX is a waste, what is the better alternative?

We've found it to be extremely useful and a great value.
sv Shearwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2012, 09:27   #71

Thank you sv Shearwater, I really want to be convinced; thinking of buying a mini just for this purpose. The concept is so cool. So, I download the app. Then buy a chart. It remains active forever? Last year we were in the Med on a Lag 500. Up on the flybridge the paper chart was sodden due to rainy weather. So this mate of mine, who knows nothing about sailing, says "let me check out Google-something on my iPhone". Next thing we had a perfectly functional, if not too detailed, map to follow. Naturally, I down-played this miracle. No-one likes a wise-guy!
Engele, what was your main problem with iNavX?
Old 22-12-2012, 09:31   #72
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It is true, that charts purchased for iNavX from X-Traverse can be downloaded during a one year period after purchase. They can be downloaded to two iDevices. Once downloaded they stay resident on the iDevice and do not expire.

Here is an FAQ ..

Navionics charts for iPhone and iPad
Old 22-12-2012, 18:17   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPSNavX View Post
It is true, that charts purchased for iNavX from X-Traverse can be downloaded during a one year period after purchase. They can be downloaded to two iDevices. Once downloaded they stay resident on the iDevice and do not expire.

Here is an FAQ ..

Navionics charts for iPhone and iPad
This is basically my problem. Also while there is a lot of functionality it has never been as clean as cheaper alternatives. The Navionics apps have been far superior in my view. The biggest problems are related to Xtraverse. Xtraverse wants a "data subscription" active for a chart download and also only allows a download for a set period of time. If you have a problem with a chart, iPad, buy a new iPad, etc after that period of time, then you need to repurchase the chart. It's ********.
Old 22-12-2012, 18:26   #74

Also keep in mind that if you get the xtraverse charts, pay for the "data subscription", etc. and then decide that you want to use the charts from your iPhone on your iPad, you will need to buy them again.
Old 22-12-2012, 19:11   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by engele View Post
Also keep in mind that if you get the xtraverse charts, pay for the "data subscription", etc. and then decide that you want to use the charts from your iPhone on your iPad, you will need to buy them again.
That is so 20th Century ... one thing Apple Inc sorted out for user benefit is ability to restore purchases: tunes, apps, in apps, you name it. I find it odd that map providers still cling to the old business model ... an odd group.

I wanted to go with iNavX which I liked after trying it on Mac, but I found the map purchasing schema confusing and suspicious ... was not really sure how this works till I read the above posts. I went with Navionics instead ... everything is right there inside the app, including ability to restore purchases/upgrades if something happens.

Navionics is probably not less expensive in a short run but I got what I wanted without scratching my head and hurting my pocketbook long term.
Richard_W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Ipad, navionics, ipad