Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2010, 13:24   #91

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28
I did as I said I would and bought Navionics today for the ipad I bought yesterday.

Any good tutorial videos out there?
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 13:51   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Van H View Post
Here's an idea for an easy to program iPad app: include Bowditch, a full set of usable Pilot Charts, hurricane tracking charts, frequency charts and radio related stuff, and helpful formulas used in passage planning into one Passage Planning App. Most of the info is a free download from our Govt, but pulling it all up into one visually polished useable download might be nice... You can send the App store check to me now... :-)
I agree it would be useful but development cost more than likely would be more than it would ever make, get this, the stupid useless apps are the ones that make all the money and the useful ones with a good purpose seem to be way down the list.

It's such a small market niche app I'll bet it only gets a couple hundred downloads a year.

I have no problem looking into it more.

What would you think people would willing to pay for something like that? Are you thinking .99 cents or more like $30 for the app?

Again, it's such a small niche app.

I'll PM you
Chipg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 15:01   #93

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipg

Again, it's such a small niche app.

I'll PM you
You're right of course. The stupid app that let's you display different stupid smiles in front of your face gets published, but the useful serious app never gets developed... Just a set of zoomable pilot charts of the World would make a great app.... But for $.99, you might make $10 a year...

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 15:16   #94
cruiser

But the reality is that you can't plan on writing that one incredible app that will sell like Angry Birds and become a phenomenon. It's unrealistic. It also paralyzes a developer to the point where nothing gets written.

A really good approach is to write some simple apps to get experience with it all. A recent study showed that iPhone developers end up making more money than they expected to make:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/09..._satisfaction/

I'd suggest writing apps that you really want to use yourself. Make them easy to use and make sure they solve the thing you were trying to solve. Chances are that if they meet your needs, they'll meet other people's needs too.
ActiveCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 16:03   #95

My biz partner is a senior exec at Apple, he use to run the iPhone app store so I know the numbers more than most, 90% of all apps will never make more than $1k, apps are the new form of spam. With close to 300,000 apps in the Apple app store you can no longer just make one and upload it hoping sales will take off. You have to drive sales with expensive advertising campaigns. Apple, takes 30% so you're left with .70 cents for a .99 cent app. I'm going to leave my apps out of the discussion and off the boards but 2 months ago one was the 199th highest grossing app in the iPhone app store for all categories (out of 300,000 apps) and the 24th highest grossing in its category and it took a very expensive time consuming advertising campaign to get it there.

It's a lot more work than most think to be successful at it.
Old 05-12-2010, 16:35   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipg View Post
It's a lot more work than most think to be successful at it.
Usually the way it is, the only get rich quick scheme I know of that works is selling people get rich quick schemes.

Still trying to find a way to network my garmin 5208, ipad and mac......
lawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 16:40   #97
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Today you can take your Garmin 5208 N2K output (position, course, speed, satellites in view, depth, water temp, wind speed/direction) and send it to your Mac and MacENC and repeat it to your iPad and iNavX. An Actisense NGT-1 N2K gateway acts as the glue. I believe Maretron also makes an N2K app for iPad. Panbo.com is a good reference for N2K related topics.
Old 05-12-2010, 16:51   #98

GPSNavX- Thank you very much for the reply! I downloaded the trial MacEnc and really liked it, just couldn't figure out how to make it all work together. I will check that out and appreciate the point in the right direction.
Old 05-12-2010, 22:53   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdawg View Post
Usually the way it is, the only get rich quick scheme I know of that works is selling people get rich quick schemes.

Still trying to find a way to network my garmin 5208, ipad and mac......
There are plenty of apps that let you control a remote Mac or PC, essentially every thing runs on your main computer and the iPad is used to view and control the computer remotely via wifi.

I'm on my iPad controlling remote PCs from hundreds of miles away for heavy processor intensive jobs all the time.
Old 05-12-2010, 23:01   #100

Lawdawg,

Here's a video of a remote PC app controlling a desktop computer.

Old 06-12-2010, 03:32   #101

iPad makes quite a nice second monitor for a PC. If your nav software can make good use of a remote monitor this can be pretty handy. Article here about Nuno - but the technique can probably be used with other software.

Nuno Navigator Blog | iPad route monitor
Old 06-12-2010, 04:33   #102

Boat: '70 Soverel 33 (v.1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomfondle View Post
Article here about Nuno -
I confess to being techno-illiterate but... the article referenced above starts off with: "Note that you need a WiFi connection between the iPad and the Windows computer." Doesn't this defeat the purpose? What if you are a cruiser, at sea, far from a wi-fi connection? Surely there is another way to link the iPad and the laptop..?

iPad-less at the moment, but interested...
Anomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 06:02   #103

This is usually in reference to when you have a Mac or PC down at the Nav station and can use the ipad as a second screen at the helm, you can set up a wi-fi network on the main computer to be shared on the boat. You can be sharing a wi-fi that is set up on the boat without having 'internet access' to share in case that was what was confusing you.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:09   #104

Boat: '70 Soverel 33 (v.1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdawg View Post
sharing a wi-fi that is set up on the boat without having 'internet access' to share in case that was what was confusing you.
Yep. That was it. I'm easily confused.... thought that was just computer-to-computer and didn't realize that too was "wi-fi". Thanks.
Anomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 06:11   #105
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anomaly View Post
I confess to being techno-illiterate but... the article referenced above starts off with: "Note that you need a WiFi connection between the iPad and the Windows computer." Doesn't this defeat the purpose? What if you are a cruiser, at sea, far from a wi-fi connection? Surely there is another way to link the iPad and the laptop..?

iPad-less at the moment, but interested...
You can create an ad-hoc wifi connection between two computers without being near a shore wifi.. In other words you would make your own independent network on the boat.

This thread has me pretty much sold on buying an iPad... I have been shopping for a plotter for quite a while, and for less money, I'll have a damn fine one that I can use for a lot of other stuff too. I was really impressed with the remote control of another computer, as I currently have a dedicated boat PC running Cap'n Navigator and EVERY chart from the Canadian Maritimes to Venezuela!

Tags
Ipad