Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2011, 03:03   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
INavX: Questions & Problems

Does INavX really have no ruler function? I can hardly believe it. Even my ancient Raymarine plotter has this. For passage planning we also need a "path". Function like in Google Earth.

And - does INavX really not share position data with AyeTides? When you click a tide station icon, instead of offering you info on that station (like my old Raymarine system), AyeTides asks you to enter station info, or lat-long in figures(!). This seems incredibly kludgy.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:06   #2

Boat: Hunter Marine, Hunter 28.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead
Does INavX really have no ruler function? I can hardly believe it. Even my ancient Raymarine plotter has this. For passage planning we also need a "path". Function like in Google Earth.

And - does INavX really not share position data with AyeTides? When you click a tide station icon, instead of offering you info on that station (like my old Raymarine system), AyeTides asks you to enter station info, or lat-long in figures(!). This seems incredibly kludgy.
Not sure about ruler but when I am in inavx I just click reports, tides... I see list of stations related to map that I am currently viewing, click one - get info. No entering lat/long...

Maybe update app or uninstall, reinstall.

When I open the ayetides app itself I have to do more legwork to get info but in my exp inavx directs to right stations on ayetides.

S/V Joyen's Dream
SuddenVibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 21:34   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

To measure distance and bearing on the iNavX chart - double tap then drag the red dot. Green dot can also be dragged. Tapping the green dot will originate the measurement at the device position.

AyeTides launched from iNavX (forecast tab) will open up to a tide and/or current station list. Select the desired station.

More info here..

http://www.gpsnavx.com/iNavX/help/usingcharts.htm
Old 04-04-2011, 01:41   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: INavX questions, problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPSNavX View Post
To measure distance and bearing on the iNavX chart - double tap then drag the red dot. Green dot can also be dragged. Tapping the green dot will originate the measurement at the device position.

AyeTides launched from iNavX (forecast tab) will open up to a tide and/or current station list. Select the desired station.

More info here..

Using Charts
Thanks for the tip on the Ruler function. No Path function, I guess? I guess if I have waypoints at every turn I can do a Route?

Considering the fact that your product will be used disproportionately for passage planning (one of its great advantages over a conventional plotter), a function like Path is important. I really like the click-through to Google Earth, for example, and Google Maps -- that's really useful. Now a good Path function would really round out those functions for passage planning.

So AyeTides is NOT linked to location and merely lets me choose from a list? I cannot choose a tide station by clicking on it in INavX? If I understood that right, then that is something I would hope you are addressing in a future release!! The very first chart plotters I used in the '90's even had that function! It's important because, besides the extra and unnecessary hassle of choosing the station (when you already clicked on it), you might not even know what the station is called.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:48   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: INavX: Questions & Problems

The "Tides" function is linked to the position (center of where chart is viewed) or you can tap directly on the <C> or <T> symbols on the Navionics charts to select a specific station. You can also just tap anywhere on the chart and select "Tides" from the pop over menu. The thought is one does not want to have to hunt for stations, but see a selectable list of available nearby stations sorted by distance.

Routes can be created right on the chart..

Creating Routes on the Chart

Tags
iNavX