Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2021, 09:36   #1

Boat: 1997 Bavaria 46E
iNavx and importing waypoints

Question:
If you import a set of waypoints into iNavx, and any of the waypoints being imported have the SAME lat/lon of an existing waypoint, what happens?

I want to confirm what I suspect happened when I did it.

I purchased the waypoint gpx file/list from Blue Latitude for the Sea of Cortez that goes with their guidebook. I'd already begun plotting some of the waypoints from the guidebook into iNavx, using my own names for the WP's.

I exported all of my waypoints. Then imported the gpx file I purchased.

It "appears" that the imported waypoints overwrote my WPs where the lat/lon were identical.

I'd like to get MY waypoints back with the names so I don't have to redo all that work.

If it's true that overwriting of exact same lat/lon WPs occurs during an import, then I'm contemplating a process to get mine back.

1. Delete all WPs
2. Import the Blue Latitude gpx file
3. Reimport my exported list of WPs (and MY WPs would overwrite the Blue Latitude ones that are identical.
raingolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2021, 10:18   #2

Boat: Sceptre 41
Re: iNavx and importing waypoints

Sorry, cannot answer re iNavx. (OPENCPN allows waypoints with same lat/long.)

One consideration: changing the names of the Blue Latitude waypoints means they won't correspond to those in the (excellent) Blue Latitude guidebooks.
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2021, 07:00   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Miura 31

I cannot help directly with your query but, if your waypoints are one on top of another, both are there but only the top one visible. If you have your waypoints loaded as a route and the imported waypoints also loaded as a separate route, simply go to your setup page and click “show waypoints for route only”. This should then display the one set of waypoints for that route only. Select the different route and the second set should display. Maybe it helps, but I have never used the import function, so do not know if this is true for imported waypoints.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2021, 19:12   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by raingolfer View Post
Question:
If you import a set of waypoints into iNavx, and any of the waypoints being imported have the SAME lat/lon of an existing waypoint, what happens?

I want to confirm what I suspect happened when I did it.

I purchased the waypoint gpx file/list from Blue Latitude for the Sea of Cortez that goes with their guidebook. I'd already begun plotting some of the waypoints from the guidebook into iNavx, using my own names for the WP's.

I exported all of my waypoints. Then imported the gpx file I purchased.

It "appears" that the imported waypoints overwrote my WPs where the lat/lon were identical.

I'd like to get MY waypoints back with the names so I don't have to redo all that work.

If it's true that overwriting of exact same lat/lon WPs occurs during an import, then I'm contemplating a process to get mine back.

1. Delete all WPs
2. Import the Blue Latitude gpx file
3. Reimport my exported list of WPs (and MY WPs would overwrite the Blue Latitude ones that are identical.
I've gone over this with the tech guys and confirmed the answer.

Every waypoint is a unique object, and if you import a second one with the exact same positions, it will NOT over write it. However, it will try to display them both on the screen, and the newer one will likely lay over the older one and may hide it. So it looks like it overwrote it, but the other waypoint does exist but doesn't display well as there are multiple points there.

Check your list of waypoints, and you should still see them both there in the list.

Also, if you import waypoints with the same name it will not overwrite them, either. It will add a number to the name of the imported waypoint to keep the names unique.

Hope that helps.
iNavX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
import, iNavX, Waypoints