Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2014, 10:34   #46

Re: ICW Travel Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
First rule of an enjoyable trip is to have plenty of time. Calculate the time you need and double it to enjoy it. This is also a safety issue. Most people who get in trouble on a sailboat were trying to keep to a schedule despite less than ideal weather.

I personally know six guys who sold their boat because their wife decided they didn't like cruising. In each case, the husband now admits that they didn't focus on keeping it enjoyable for their wife - too many ten hour days motoring, a scary seasick rough crossing, or sitting in the cockpit underway in a cold rain will drive many women off the boat. And before someone complains, I know two women who love tough offshore passages - ( on one trip I was curled up in my bunk seasick, while she was happily clipped in at the helm at 2AM in a driving rain - singing .)

If you must sail the BVI's, get an off season week's charter. It will probably cost you less than the cost of sailing your own boat there.

I can't advise you on the northern part, but a trip down the ICW and a month or two in the Bahamas is a great trip and a reasonable first adventure.

The best way my wife and I have found to enjoy the ICW is to plan 100 miles every three days (two days of 50 miles and one day off to explore a town, wait out a rainy day, and provision).

There are only two potentially dangerous areas - NYC to Cape May and crossing to the Bahamas. To be conservative, assume that you will have to wait a week for good weather at each one. Don't think about going in less than perfect weather.

I would also consider making it a two year trip instead of a one year trip. Skip one Canadian summer. It will make Canada seem all the more enjoyable the next year.
Sounds like your Wife is one hell of a woman! VERY cool.

I do like the sound of a two year trip, finance isn't a problem. My concern was hurricane season. Are there places that are safer than others?
Saltwaterpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:24   #47

Boat: EndeavourCat 36

Consider buying a boat in Florida! You can do the ICW on the way north in the spring...

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Cuttyhunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:34   #48

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltwaterpuppy View Post
My concern was hurricane season. Are there places that are safer than others?
Here are the worst places.
The Worst Places for Hurricanes

The safest places are further north. New York City never gets hit. Oh wait.......

Don't sweat the hurricanes (pun intended). The odds are in your favor.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:05   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Here are the worst places.
The Worst Places for Hurricanes

The safest places are further north. New York City never gets hit. Oh wait.......

Don't sweat the hurricanes (pun intended). The odds are in your favor.
Based on what that website says, I should be relatively safe if I stick to the bvi's, or the Cuba/Jamaica/Dominican republic areas...I would hope!
Old 05-09-2014, 12:32   #50

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Not to be snippy but if you cannot figure out the time in route how do you expect to do the Bahamas and then the open stretch to the Virgins? If you are actually going to the Virgins you would be better jumping off shore after Cape Fear. Once you poke through the southern Bahamas the Virgins are dead to weather.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 12:47   #51

I'm afraid the woman at night at the helm is not my wife just a friend - but my wife enjoys cruising (overnight passages not so much so I wait for the weather. On an offshore passage that's more than 72 hours, I'll also sometimes bring in friends so my wife can fly).

Hurricane's really aren't much of a problem if you are willing to be just a little way north - like Georgia. My insurance company simply requires me to be north of the Florida border between July and November 1 to get good rates. There's an excellent marina in Brunswick Georgia and several around Savannah. Both Savannah and Charleston are fantastic cities with good air service. In the very middle of summer the humidity can be a bit much but spring and fall are wonderful.

If there's enough money, a lot of cruisers (including me) maintain a small condo "back home" that we can use as a break from the boat - usually near family and friends. It adds to the budget but in our case being 75% full time cruisers has kept us cruising for more years than if we had done 100%.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 13:08   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tingum View Post
Not to be snippy but if you cannot figure out the time in route how do you expect to do the Bahamas and then the open stretch to the Virgins? If you are actually going to the Virgins you would be better jumping off shore after Cape Fear. Once you poke through the southern Bahamas the Virgins are dead to weather.
I don't take it as snippy at all. I am simply asking the questions to narrow my research field. Wasn't at all going to plan my trip based only on the advice I get here
Old 05-09-2014, 14:42   #53

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltwaterpuppy View Post
Based on what that website says, I should be relatively safe if I stick to the bvi's, or the Cuba/Jamaica/Dominican republic areas...I would hope!
That page was only for the US. Those other areas are not included. Once again you are putting to much emphasis on hurricanes. They really are somewhat rare given any location and the chance that you would be there at that time. I lived 20 years in Fla and went thru only one.
Driving your car is much riskier. Don't drive!!!!!

Tags
icw