Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2022, 06:50   #1

Boat: Allied 42 XL2
ICW from Marathon to Miami

I am planning a cruise later this year on a sailboat with a draft of six feet. I read differing options on whether or not my boat can use the ICW route. Any opinions would be appreciated. I certainly do not want to test Lindsay's Law.
Thanks
crosswire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 07:08   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: ICW from Marathon to Miami

All I can say it that I have been to/from Marathon 4 times in the last 5.5 years and wasn't willing to do the "inside" route in my 6'4" boat.

If you are asking to just break the Hawk Channel trip up there is good anchoring at Channel 5 and semi good at Rodriguez Key.

good luck
Old 01-05-2022, 08:26   #3

Boat: EggHarbor,Sportfish,35

Agree with sailorboy. If the weather and wind allow it go on the outside of the reef and troll the drop off. Some amazing fishing.
landsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 09:34   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosswire View Post
I am planning a cruise later this year on a sailboat with a draft of six feet. I read differing options on whether or not my boat can use the ICW route. Any opinions would be appreciated. I certainly do not want to test Lindsay's Law.
Thanks
You must be referring to a different “Lindsay’s Law”, than that enacted in Ohio.
Senate Bill 252, known as "Lindsay’s Law" [named for former Miss Ohio, Lindsay Davis], placed specific requirements for coaches, athletes and parents into law, and went into effect in 2017.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 10:03   #5

Boat: 1999 Maxum 4100 SCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
You must be referring to a different “Lindsay’s Law”, than that enacted in Ohio.
Senate Bill 252, known as "Lindsay’s Law" [named for former Miss Ohio, Lindsay Davis], placed specific requirements for coaches, athletes and parents into law, and went into effect in 2017.
This is the one they're referring to

https://www.boatingsafetymag.com/boatingsafety/aground
PJHoffnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 10:29   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJHoffnet View Post
This is the one they're referring to
https://www.boatingsafetymag.com/boatingsafety/aground
Thanks!
I didn't know that interesting bit of history.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 16:49   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I don't get these threads.....you are on a sailboat...sail the damned thing..
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 17:43   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kaufman 47, Cutter

We draw five feet with the board up. We did the inside ICW from Key Biscayne through Snake Creek. We were accompanied by another monohull that draws 5.5 feet. On our solo return from Marathon, we entered the ICW at Channel Five. We never touched bottom, but water seemed to get skinny just south of Gilbert's at Jew Fish Creek. Good luck. YMMV.
michaeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 17:45   #9

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosswire View Post

Thanks

Lindsay’s Law?
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 17:48   #10

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España

Nevermind.
Old 01-05-2022, 18:17   #11

Boat: Tartan 37

I had the same experience as Michaeld. I came from Miami to Marathon last week and it was south of jewfish creek that i had to listen to my low depth alarm for quite a while. I draw 4’ 2” and wondered aloud how people with 5-6 feet get thru here.
StuartSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 19:14   #12

Boat: Robt Beebe Passagemaker 49-10 in steel

Been a few years ago but I helped take a Chris Craft 36' Commander - draft 3'-10"- from Marathon to Miami and the captain wanted to go inside. We bumped a couple of times & damaged one prop. No way would I try a 6' draft boat on the inside. Hawks Channel is a piece of cake. As others have said, if you want to break it up, spend the nite at Rodriguez Key.
mvmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 19:50   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
I don't get these threads.....you are on a sailboat...sail the damned thing..

There’s a reason the govt created the ICW.
Inside is very protected albeit with draft issues from place to place. Being protected has two additional effects.
A. Less wind.
B. Long narrow passages that may or may not be sailable depending on wind direction and traffic.

If you go outside you will be in the Gulf Stream. Off Florida it’s most of 60nm wide and runs north at about 3.4kt depending on day and season. Even if you are going north, if the wind is out of the north, that wind against current, a lot of current.

Inlets to transition between ICW and the Stream can be sparse in places.

Choosing to stay in the ICW means accepting draft and truck height limitations.

Choosing to go outside means accepting that sudden nasty conditions that can develop, it is not a decision to be made lightly.
Old 02-05-2022, 06:11   #14

Boat: 2012 Tartan 47

Our old boat had a 5’ draft. We went down the inside on numerous occasions because the Admiral liked the view. From my point of view it was not a relaxing trip because of the numerous spots of water shallow enough that we kicked up sand. You have to be careful and aware in many areas. Ditto our old boat had a furling main and jib. This made it easy to deploy/furl them when opportunities arose to sail (you’ll do considerable motoring). The IC changes direction considerably in many spots. If I had the conventional main that we have now we might have done even more motoring. My suggestion? Go outside if you can.
RichandHelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 08:06   #15

Boat: Cherubini 33
Re: ICW from Marathon to

Ahoy Crosswire

My $0.02

The ICW really ceases to exist at all below (SW of) Islamorada and Snake Creek. I draw about 6’ but I have been over that water in a lot of smaller boats and my conclusion is that I don’t go there with my deep draft.

I usually brush the bottom while entering and exiting Snake Creek. There is a bar from about 200-600 feet outside (seaward) the channel marker entrance There is an approximate 2’ tide and I have gotten stuck on that bar a couple times during the lower half of the tidal cycle.

You will have at least 8’ from snake creek to Jewfish Creek on the ICW but it’s so twisty and narrow that you will almost certainly be motoring the entire way. Particularly if heading NE into the prevailing easterlies

I often manage to brush bottom on the bayside of angelfish creek but that is pretty soft and I take it slow and have never been stuck.

The only reason I go inside now at Snake Creek

1. Fuel

2. The admiral has to go to Gilbert’s

3. The little ramp to Ace and Winn Dixie

My conclusion is that Hawk Channel is better but bayside is doable if you have a reason to do it. (Only applies above Snake Creek)
Rocinante33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icw, miami