Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2012, 12:36   #1

ICW Cruising Guides

I'll be doing the ICW from Charleston to Miami starting in March. I'm looking for the preferred cruising guide. I've heard much about Kettlewell but I've seen a new version of an ICW cruising guide that apparently is the same format as Kettlewell's (and he is listed as an editor) but with additional information. It is about half the price and not spiral bound. Anyone know about this one (author listed a Moeller)?
tugboatjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 14:06   #2

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'
Re: ICW cruising guides

Welcome aboard the forum. I use the Kettelwell's for the charts and the Waterway Guide and Skipper Bob for the cruising information...a great combination at the helm. I get daily updated info from WaterwayGuide.com, SkipperBob.net, and other sites. I've not seen the Moeller book, I don't think. Hope this helps.
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 14:30   #3

Thanks for the reply. The guide I'm referring to is called "The Intracoastal Waterway: Norfolk to Miami: the complete cruising guide" by Moeller and Kettlewell. I'll probably just get Kettlewell and Skipper Bob or whatever the name was. I don't plan on being connected to any webs so I will not be able to get updates.
tugboatjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 14:46   #4

Boat: compac 16

for a really fun neat free only guide of sorts America's Great Loop i would go all the way through it and just read each page it is a great thing just to read and remember click the hidden mice they have info on them.
samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 14:54   #5

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

tugboatjoe, The Moeller's have partnered with Mark Doyle and combined with his guide, Managing The Waterway. It is a great easy to use format with the info you will need including charts, marinas, anchorages and navigational information. Since they are not a sponsor here I don't know about posting a link but just Google Managing The Waterway. And you will save yourself some money not having to buy several books. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 18:59   #6
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360

==> | Managing The Waterway

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 10:40   #7

Tugboatjoe, I did want to correct my statement. It was indeed John Kettlewell that partnered with the Moellers for his cruising guide. It too is an excellent resource. Sorry for the mistake. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 17-01-2012, 18:33   #8
cruiser

It's odd how the suggestions fly without an understanding of what type of information you're looking for.

What do you need:

- Route information

- Slip pricing

- Town history

- Restaurant suggestions

- Current hazard locations and findings

- Charts

- Things to do

- Offshore vs inside routes

- Anchorages

- Marina information

- Bridge information including current restrictions

...and lots more.

If you explain the types of information you'll need, the appropriate source of information will usually become obvious.
ActiveCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 19:42   #9

Boat: Looking for a new boat

Isn't Skipper Bob's becoming a little dated?
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2012, 10:19   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
Isn't Skipper Bob's becoming a little dated?
Skipper Bob was purchased by Waterway Guide some years back. While Skipper Bob himself updated the information in his guides, the current Skipper Bob is edited by a fellow up north that is no longer on the water. Information is updated if someone sends in an email to the website for anything that might be incorrect. Additional updates come from the Cruising Editors at Waterway Guide of which there is one couple, great cruisers by the way, that send in edits for the entire east coast from Chesapeake to Florida. So take that for what it's worth. In most other areas there is no one on the water keeping the books current. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 18-01-2012, 11:24   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterwayguy View Post
Skipper Bob was purchased by Waterway Guide some years back. While Skipper Bob himself updated the information in his guides, the current Skipper Bob is edited by a fellow up north that is no longer on the water. Information is updated if someone sends in an email to the website for anything that might be incorrect. Additional updates come from the Cruising Editors at Waterway Guide of which there is one couple, great cruisers by the way, that send in edits for the entire east coast from Chesapeake to Florida. So take that for what it's worth. In most other areas there is no one on the water keeping the books current. Chuck
Please let me correct you, Chuck:
Waterway Guide employs 12 Cruising Editors (or couples) covering all of its cruising areas, and also receives countless updates submitted by the cruising community, either through the website or emailed directly to the editors or staff. There are also several cruisers who aren't officially cruising editors who send in updates each time they take a cruise. Waterway Guide employs an additional staff of 4 who research updates and edit for publication. Skipper Bob is updated through the same process, including a significant number of the cruisers who use it (well over 100).
Old 18-01-2012, 12:00   #12

Thanks for the update Mike. I appears things have changed in the last several months. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 18-01-2012, 12:00   #13
cruiser

When Awesome Dude asked, "Isn't Skipper Bob's becoming a little dated?" - as a good neighbor in Maine he might have been asking a more practical question about the actual dating of the information.

Skipper Bob info is obviously collected and researched. At some point, masters are created and they are printed and then shipped off to the different retailers. I'm guessing that they are printed once a year. Are they printed more than once a year? When is the data collected and sent off to the printer? That would provide the real dating of the material.

Given that the data is put on paper, it is absolutely dated. I guess it could be nearly a year out of date by the time someone actually receives the paper.

I also have to say that it is quite confusing seeing a "Waterway Guide" user name and a "Waterwayguy" user name. Who is speaking for the publication?
ActiveCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2012, 12:15   #14

No problem, Chuck
BTW: Good job on loop radio.
Old 18-01-2012, 12:19   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterway Guide View Post