Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2014, 09:45   #16

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: ICW at night revisited

I've only run in the night once in the ICW. Got held up by marines who built a Bailey bridge across the ICW. had to wait till dark before they got all the tanks etc. across. It was a short run to Mile Hammock Bay but still not a lot of fun.
Old 27-11-2014, 10:03   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

You can argue safety, insurance and idiots on the water but I think MarkJ's comment is right on. Trying to stretch the day on the ICW you are pushing your limits and the chance of screw-ups increases dramatically.

If you're in a hurry and trying to make more time then go outside. If you aren't in a hurry then why run the ICW at night?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 10:22   #18

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

You are also trying to generalize a large stretch of waterway. Some parts are a piece of cake at night, some are not. Look at the chart, use your noggin.
Old 27-11-2014, 10:26   #19

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
You are also trying to generalize a large stretch of waterway. Some parts are a piece of cake at night, some are not. Look at the chart, your noggin.
Sure but the "piece of cake at night" portions are a couple hours maximum before you're back into winding and shallow portions.
Old 27-11-2014, 10:48   #20

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Passing Dolphin island at sunset with three onboard a Westerly heading east into Mobile bay, my friend and boat owner asked if we might push on through overnight to Orange Beach, our destination. I was mate and "safety guy".

I thought it would be a good experience and confidence builder for a young couple learning by doing. Conditions were calm enough, two excellent spotlights, MxMariner on Andriod, and wanting to get "home" so we continued.

Plenty of current so a good lesson in the difference between bow oreintation and course to stay in the channel. And that last straight shot at the bridge from the west sure could use a range marker or light. And a missing flashing green on the east side approaching the entrance to the ICW caused some head scratching for several minutes. Finally had to sternly suggest a drop in speed including statements about why I came along for the trip.

We made it fine, in fact halfway across the bay I went below to "sleep", to express confidence in my two good friends. Of course when I heard, "I think there should be a one second green dead ahead", I was on deck before "But I don't see it" was stated.

A good experience for all of us but I will be limiting night travel on the ICW whenever possible.

......mmmmm, chicken tetrazinni MRE for Thanksgiving on a beautiful sunny day in Ingrams bayou. ......... lovin' it. Happy Holiday 'merikans. And all you 'feriners, too. peace.
Old 27-11-2014, 11:17   #21

Boat: Island Packet 380 - Delta Blues

One word on why I wouldn’t do it — crabpots. In some places they are thick and in the middle of the channel.

My biggest fear is snagging a pot while a blow is coming up in an area with poor holding conditions.

https://sailingdeltablues.com/
dennisjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 11:44   #22

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

Some people like to wait until all green before they drive across the Country. Some people set out when they have the first green and adjust their way as they go. Some people never leave their slip; some are sailing around the world.

I am not motoring in ICW just want to kill myself, but I will not be panicking and totally stressing out because I am motoring in the dark. When in doubt slow down or stop, there are plenty of place to drop anchor until you feel it is safe to move on.

There is no right way or wrong way.
rockDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 12:42   #23

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
.................... I am not motoring in ICW just want to kill myself, but I will not be panicking and totally stressing out because I am motoring in the dark. When in doubt slow down or stop, there are plenty of place to drop anchor until you feel it is safe to move on...............
I can think of a few spots on the ICW where there's no safe anchorage for twenty miles or more. For many of us, that's three miles at daylight speed, more at nighttime speed. You have to anchor before the stretch or press on to the end for an anchorage.

My point is, you can't just stop anywhere, you have to plan ahead.
Old 27-11-2014, 13:06   #24

Boat: Nor'star Flicka 20'

I single handed my 20' 3'3' draft Flicka the entire ICW MD to TX.three years ago The only way I would do it at night even with crew is if I had a screw loose! My 2 cents worth.
DolphinBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 18:21   #25

Boat: 1979 Hunter 30 Cherubini

I've lived and sailed on the ICW in FL and Ga for 25 years. I've done it...
ONCE. Never again.
Sea7King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2014, 06:42   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
ICW at night revisited

I've run some of it at night, sort of. Had a long distance planned so left early, several hours before sun up. That way I put the night portion when I'm not yer dead tired and if something happens, it's only a couple of hours before sun rise, not all night.
I've done a whole lot of night flying, and I don't like to use a spotlight, go when the moon is full or almost so and a cloudless night once night adapted you can see everything except colors of course. Way different than on a moonless, cloudy night so add moon illum and cloude to that depends list
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2014, 06:45   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

I wonder if unbusted67 got busted?
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2014, 06:55   #28

Boat: Carter offshore 35

I had a Honda 2000 with a ceramic heater that I would run for heat when on the hook. with it set at 750 watts it would run about 6-8 hours. A little expensive but considering I only needed it till I got to Georgia it was cheaper than Espar. If you leave Norfolk on Sunday the bridges are on demand makes a big difference in miles that first day.
DeborahLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2014, 09:27   #29

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
I can think of a few spots on the ICW where there's no safe anchorage for twenty miles or more. For many of us, that's three miles at daylight speed, more at nighttime speed. You have to anchor before the stretch or press on to the end for an anchorage.

My point is, you can't just stop anywhere, you have to plan ahead.
It goes without saying. Everything in life needs planning including sailing. ICW is 3000 miles long. It will have bad spots, so act accordingly.
rockDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2014, 12:52   #30

Boat: islandpacket

I hane done the east coast icw many times on other people's boats. I do understand that they are in a hurry to move there boat. My longest was 30 days from sunup to sun down had many anchoring problems evan with good charts and gps. When I take my boat it will be slow and well planned. I really enjoyed the views and will take 2 -3 month's fron Delaware to the keys with many long stops along the way. Take your time. Limit your stress and enjoy.

Tags
icw