Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2021, 15:33   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch
Re: I need everything electronic what do I Buy

your budget is pretty low. Our average full upgrade from legacy systems to NMEA2K components listed will run 22K or so with labor, parts, etc. If you are handy it's nothing you can't do yourself but there is a lot to learn. All three major manufacturers make good stuff but each has it's strengths and weaknesses. If you're hiring I'd get more than one bid and be wary of a low one. Doing this well takes time to plan, procure, install, configure, test, and train.
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2021, 16:11   #17

Boat: Amel Super Maramu, 53'

Just completed a full electronics refit. We put in B&G. Halo20+, 9” and 12” plotters, NAC3, wind, depth, speed, temp and 5 Triton mfd displays. Total cost was ~$15k.
E185640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2021, 16:54   #18
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by E185640 View Post
Just completed a full electronics refit. We put in B&G. Halo20+, 9” and 12” plotters, NAC3, wind, depth, speed, temp and 5 Triton mfd displays. Total cost was ~$15k.

Did you do your own labor?
Old 20-03-2021, 17:38   #19

Boat: Gulfstar, Hirsch, 45'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail sfbay View Post
Mad Multi.............are you planning to install the electronics yourself? If so then $15,000+ minimum for equipment depending on redundancy, e.g., cockpit helm and salon navigation station PLUS labor at $125-150/hour for a marine electronic contractor and installation takes a long time to build display mounts and run and terminate cables and calibrate the instruments.
Plus 1 on the comment above. Raymarine is outstanding, but will cost dollars to install.. you can do most yourself and reduce the cost, but you are going to look at about 15-19K all in
Rubicon King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2021, 03:17   #20

The cost variability is in the size and number of MFD displays. If you can live with a single 9 inch display, you might squeeze by at under $10k. Look for a bundled starter system with radar and depth sounder with 9-inch MFD, often around $5k. Firm there, you can add whatever you want.

I went with a lower end forward scan transducer for "feeling my way" into shallow anchorages. It is not suitable for depth at speed.

As far as FLIR to detect floating objects, I don't think it's suitable for that. It's fine for spotting objects you're roughly expecting, but highly unlikely anyone would stand watch on a long passage pinned to the readout. They are also fairly expensive. And you'll likely need a larger and/or additional MFD.

Good luck.

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2021, 06:27   #21

Boat: O’Day 40

I’m currently replacing my Raymarine chart plotter , autopilot, Navpod & instruments ( no radar). I’ve like the Ray eqpt, find it easy to use & their product support has been excellent. This is my second DIY instal and I can see why all the installation quotes were around $5-6k; they earn it!
LouK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2021, 06:41   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Berg View Post
Did you do your own labor?

Scott, I did do the installation myself. I used Chicago Marine Electronics as my purchasing and tech support outlet. Achillefs is a longtime Greek sailor, with solid experience and good pricing.

Install was simple once I gutted the NMEA183 network.

I am also a fan of Matt Smith at Smith Marine Electronics in Hampton, VA. Solid guy that is fair to work with. He will work with you of just about any system....from Garmin to Furu o.
Old 22-03-2021, 06:42   #23

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

I have had a boat with Garmin and a boat with Raymarine. If I had it to do over again I would pick Garmin but either one will be fine. Yes, you can make different brands talk to each other but it is a pain the ass you dont need. Just get a package that plugs in and works with all the default parameters. As for radar, I installed mine after my first dense East coast fog. Also useful for figuring out what is out there at night. For floating objects there really isnt much you can do except try to avoid them if you can see them in the daylight and hope you dont hit them at night. Happily, it is a pretty rare occurrence. I looked up the stats to reassure my parents and you are way more likely to die in a car accident than by hitting something in the middle of the ocean. The insurance companies keep track of such things so it is pretty reliable data.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2021, 17:54   #24
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Scott, I did do the installation myself. I used Chicago Marine Electronics as my purchasing and tech support outlet. Achillefs is a longtime Greek sailor, with solid experience and good pricing.

I am also a fan of Matt Smith at Smith Marine Electronics in Hampton, VA. Solid guy that is fair to work with. He will work with you of just about any system....from Garmin to Furu o.

I like Matt and have sent him some business; your total cost implied DIY. Good sailing!
Old 29-03-2021, 17:35   #25
Marine Service Provider

Quote:

I've never used Chicago (I buy from a large east coast distributor or direct) but Matt's a good guy... recommended, I agree.
Old 05-04-2021, 06:39   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu3534 View Post
AFAIK: Radar doesn't fit with other systems, i.e. you have to choose a radar first.

I'd go with B&G HALO (24). Halo is the only one of the new generation radars that (also) works with OpenCPN. From that it is: B&G Autopilot, Depth, Wind, Chartplotter.

AIS and Wifi can be any popular make.
Only problem with B&G is their customer service is horrible! A friend bought an entire system from them. The radar didn’t work. B&G never responded to his first, second, third, fourth or 5th calls. He spent thousands trying to trouble shoot the problem. The problem was a bad radome. B&G’s Radome.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 06:43   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ_n_Audrey View Post
I switched from Furuno (which died after 8 years) to Raymarine on chart plotter, Active AIS, radar. Autohelm was already Raymarine, but I replaced the head with new Raymarine. Wind instruments were Furuno from PO, and I've kept those. Raymarine seemed like the best compromise on ease-of-use, cost, parts availability in remote locations, and functionality. I got a secondary Garmin chart plotter at the nav station only because it was dirt cheap and it allowed me to link my iPad Garmin app to the other systems wirelessly. IR cams and forward looking sonar would be excessive money, IMHO, unless money is no object. Make sure in your install everything talks to everything, and in my case I hard-wired the radar, not wireless, because, as we know, wireless technology always works perfectly.......
Funny you mentioned wireless is questionable. EVERYTHING IS HARD WIRED IN THE COCKPIT OF A COMMERCIAL AIRLINER! EVEN THE HEADSETS.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 06:48   #28
Marine Service Provider

I am somewhat of a contrarian here....but why do you need any electronics? Seriously. OK, but what are really the most important ones? Well, assuming you have a compass, let's start with a depth sounder and vhf. What else is really necessary? In fact "Nothing" is necessary, but desirable. Many sailors are way too concerned with gadgets and technical issues and often at the neglect of sails and rigging, skills and simply developing food solid old fashioned seamanship. Please, if you shar more about your experience and goals and sailing plans, we might be able to provide better guidance. You have a BABA 40. When was the rigging last inspected? Where are sailing? Do you really need all the things that are available? Do you want to be a button pusher, a gadget freak, a technical optimist...or a good mariner? You can have all of them of course, but relying on electronics? Not the best plan in my opinion. Keep us informed! Thanks
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 07:00   #29

Boat: 38' self built cutter (1990)

IMHO you should think about redundancy, regarding electronic systems strictly involved in safety. (As an example, I could quote the redundancy I accumulated in the years re positioning and navigation systems: paper charts + Tamaya sextant and tables; old BW plotter w Cmaps; Opencpn + Cm93 charts on my linux pc; a rugged waterproof smartphone w Navionics and Opencpn+Cm93. Also, TackTick depth finder+ lead line ready for use, etc.). Obviously, less redundancy is needed if only daysailing/coastal sailing.
Visarend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 07:08   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happ View Post
Only problem with B&G is their customer service is horrible! A friend bought an entire system from them. The radar didn’t work. B&G never responded to his first, second, third, fourth or 5th calls. He spent thousands trying to trouble shoot the problem. The problem was a bad radome. B&G’s Radome.
Prior to my purchase I had read similar reviews/discussions. I made my choice based on two factors. First, there are only two large scale radar manufacturers left in the world. I knew I did not want a Panasonic radar, so that eliminated Garmin (and I love their MFDs). Second, the prior B&G system installed on the boat lasted 25 years and worked great (integration and spares was becoming an issue). So, I went with the B&G.

As previously noted, I made a conscious choice to stay away from West Marine and Defender in my purchase. I thought this choice would raise my costs, but give me a better outlet for install support. I got both, a lower cost and a full install schematic for MY BOAT from Achillefs. He also supported me throughout the install, text or cell. He is a fantastic small business owner. The same as Matt. They want you to be successful. The big outlets do not operate on the same model, but have their place.

I did call B&G 3 times during the commissioning across 4 days (weather delays in the commissioning process....I also took a silly amount of time verifying my data because I am a nerd and cautious). Maybe I got them on good days, but I had no issue with B&G email responses or answering the phone. They were happy to review my data and share suggestions on how to improve autopilot mapping, while reducing power draw (I used my original Raymarine Autohelm linear drive with the NAC-3 AP).

It could change, but I have no issue with B&G customer service, direct or byway of their vendors (the ones I chose).