Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2020, 11:52   #1

Boat: Excess 11 Catamaran
How to charge your tablet (iPad/Android) outside (in a waterproof case)

Hi all,
We have 2 helm stations on our catamaran and both are open to the elements.
On the starboard side we have a chartplotter (Raymarine Axiom), i70, throttle controls and autopilot controls. On the port side, we only have an i70 multifunctional display (not a chart plotter, it only show data like SOG, wind, AWS, TWS etc etc) and a secondary autopilot control.

We would like to use a (gps enabled) iPad in a waterproof casing on the port side mounted on (for example) a Scanstrut mount. This way we can use the iPad (if charged) elsewhere on the boat. However it's 'main position' would be on the port helmstation, outside. We're not yet sure if we will use the Raymarine app to mirror the primary plotter OR if we would only use the Navionics app and the built-in GPS.

The question is: 1) how do you charge your iPad outside 2) what kind of mount do you use and 3) what kind of case do you use? We're also considering Android tablets btw if that would make life easier.

Pictures of any install are much appreciated and will be rewarded a cold beer in somewhere in the Med next year
marcok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2020, 15:22   #2

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5
Re: How to charge your tablet (iPad/Android) outside (in a waterproof case)

I use an ipad with a RAM mount in a Lifeproof case. I installed a 12 volt receptacle and use a 3amp 12 volt receptacle usb adaptor. This ipad is my only source of electronic navigation. I use iSailor for nav,and run the Logbook app for my log entries.

Here's a video to see my set up:
https://youtu.be/UvCBRjzVkNk

Go to 3:24 to see it. Sorry for the long video. I have another one there with the CPT where you can see the ipad, as well.

Ben
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2020, 23:52   #3

Hi Ben, thanks for the info and the video. I see you mounted the iPad vertical with the connector on the bottom. Did you do this because you wanted the charging port on the iPad to be less exposed?

Also; how do you connect your USB side (so not the iPad side) to the boat's power? I've seen quite some USB socket but they are far from waterproof once an USB cable is actually inserted as the cover then remains open.

ps. look like your taking very good care of her looking at you flake your sails
Old 26-11-2020, 13:23   #4

Marco,

The RAM mount allows me to rotate the iPad 360 degrees. It's a ball and socket on the back of the part that connects to the ipad. If I'm on a long trip, I typically keep it portrait so I can see a greater distance. When getting close, I'll just rotate the iPad to landscape orientation. Also, in portrait orientation, water won't run into the hole where the power cord is.

My 12 volt receptacle is on the port side just above the engine controls, and I use a flush mount usb adapter that I bought on amazon because I wanted a 3 v charger or I can't run the ipad 24/7 while on passage.

I run a 10 foot usb lightning cable under my teak cockpit flooring to connect the charger to the ipad. I have bent a few charging cables because it sticks out a little, but no water ingress.
Old 26-11-2020, 14:41   #5

Boat: 1999 Maxum 4100 SCA

I installed several of these waterproof USB socket chargers topside, no issues.
https://www.rokkstore.com/collection...cts/rokkcharge
PJHoffnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2020, 16:23   #6

Boat: Tartan 28

There is no way I know of to charge an ipad in a downpour. The USB lightning connector is not waterproof. I’ve had issues with leaving it connected on a motorcycle with the waterproof iphone. Apple specifically calls out the lightning connector is not to be used in wet conditions. Water shorts out the contacts on the lightning connector.

That being said, Our ipad last 24 hours easy without being charged navigating if you have the screen set to sleep when your not using it. we will charge our ipad inside the boat if raining. Otherwise we just plug it in when needed. I suppose you could orient the ipad in landscape mode and put something around the connector to help with water ingress, but I’m not sure it would be a good idea regardless. Just dont charge it in rain or rough conditions.
zemurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2020, 17:00   #7

Boat: Sceptre 41

In terrible conditions (wet), I have a small battery pack inside a waterproof pouch/case with my android tablet. No wires need to be outside in the wet.
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2020, 17:14   #8

Boat: 42' Chung Wua Trawler

I was looking into this a short time ago for android tablets. It may still apply. You can charge wirelessly. Glue or use mounting tape to attach a Qi charger to the back of your waterproof case. That way there are no wires going into the tablet, so it is safe. With some digging I was able to find waterproof USB ports as well to mount at the helm. So it can be done.
cpisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2020, 23:42   #9

Thanks all for you feedback. I think I'll install the Rokk mount and 4.2amp double USB charger. I'll use that except when the weather is really bad; I'll then fast charge the iPad inside a 40 watt 220 charger.

Thanks!
Old 03-12-2020, 17:16   #10

Boat: Fontaine Pajot Lipari 41

Have a look at these, https://www.railblaza.com/products/screengrabba-r-lock/
coriobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 17:22   #11

Boat: Jeanneau SO409

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensolomon View Post
I use an ipad with a RAM mount in a Lifeproof case. I installed a 12 volt receptacle and use a 3amp 12 volt receptacle usb adaptor. This ipad is my only source of electronic navigation. I use iSailor for nav,and run the Logbook app for my log entries.

Go to 3:24 to see it. Sorry for the long video. I have another one there with the CPT where you can see the ipad, as well.

Ben
Just watched your video... cool!!! Which RAM mount and which Lifeproof case do you use? I want your setup, too!!!

Great job
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 17:38   #12

Luke,
Did the pm go through?
Old 16-12-2020, 09:15   #13

Boat: Hunter 28.5

Quote:
Luke,
Did the pm go through?
I'm also interested in which mount and case you are using specificially. Great set up!
TLMoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2020, 17:12   #14

Thanks for looking at the video. I have been using this Ipad setup for 10 years. I have no other instrumentation aboard. The Ipad is my knot meter, weather station, tide charts, and I use iSailor as my nav software. I do have paper charts for everywhere I go though. What you will need for the setup is:

RAM[emoji2400] Handlebar U-Bolt Base for Rails 0.5" to 1.25" in Diameter

RAM[emoji2400] Double Socket Arm

RAM[emoji2400] Tab-Tite[emoji769] Holder for 9"-10.5" Tablets with Heavy Duty Cases

Make sure everything is socket size B, and DON'T get composite. Get the metal. No rust after 10 years.

Lifeproof doesn't make the case I have anymore (Ipad Air2), so get some other waterproof case, like otterbox.

Let me know how it goes!!

Ben
Old 16-12-2020, 18:00   #15

Boat: Islander 36

Quote:

Ben
What is the Logbook?
smith8273 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Ipad, water