Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: How often do you update your paper charts
I'm independently wealthy, I buy new ones whenever a new revision comes out 0 0%
About every 5ish years 1 10.00%
5 - 10 years 1 10.00%
10 -15 years 2 20.00%
15+ years 0 0%
Not until it's full of holes, and only useful as kindling 6 60.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2010, 12:26   #1
Marine Service Provider

How Often Do You Update Your Paper Charts ?

My last chart thread got me thinking. I finally settled on some cheap used charts, but while I was shopping around I saw some that were 20+ years old. Not sure I'd want to rely on something that outdated. Electronic charts, on the other hand are constantly updated. So, just how often do you update your paper charts?
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:33   #2

Before every departure I update all the charts I expect to use. Takes only seconds with a 3G modem. I print out details of landfalls, anchorages and harbors along the way in case I yet again spill my Rum & OJ into the computer and somehow destroy the iPhone.

Otherwise no paper charts. This is not the 1900's anymore folks.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:40   #3
Marine Service Provider

Daddle, I'm a big time geek. Laptop, Garmin plotter, and iPhone. And I was seriously thinking of eliminating all paper from my life. Still considering doing it at some point in the future. Just see this thread.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rts-44405.html

But I specifically asked about paper. Can we PLEASE not turn this thread into yet another paper vs. electronics trainwreck?
Old 10-08-2010, 13:05   #4

Boat: C&C 35 Mk.II
My oldest paper charts are about ten years old. (Admittedly, the boat is the same age.) The areas I cruise are pretty predictable- channels don't change appreciably, the Coast Guard put the same buoys in the same places year after year. And I cruise in a boat that can easily get herself out of pretty tight/shallow situations if need be.

In a more rapidly changing area (an inlet with bars, for example), I probably wouldn't be replacing charts until 10-15 years (darn things are Expensive!), but would be keeping an eye on the Notices to Mariners and marking the applicable updates directly on the chart each year.
Old 10-08-2010, 13:15   #5

It probably depends on your intended cruising grounds. In some places there are frequent changes in aids to navigation. Not so much in the Bahamas but there is a lot of shallow water there and storms can create important changes. I always make sure I have the latest edition Explorer charts for the Bahamas and check the updates which are available, but only for the latest edition, free online - eg.:

Near Bahamas Free Update

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 16:16   #6
Marine Service Provider

Same here marshmat. I only draw about 2.5' with my boards up. Even when cruising the ICW through GA, or as I like to call it, Shoaland, depth dropped so quickly and unexpected in spots that I was in shock. But we just kept cruising along as we passed other boats that were grounded.
Old 10-08-2010, 16:57   #7

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunzster View Post
Same here marshmat. I only draw about 2.5' with my boards up. Even when cruising the ICW through GA, or as I like to call it, Shoaland, depth dropped so quickly and unexpected in spots that I was in shock. But we just kept cruising along as we passed other boats that were grounded.
Updated charts will not help much as far as depths go in the ICW. Notices to mariners will help with changes to navigational aids and perhaps warnings of shoaling but, for the most part, you're on your own as far as depths go.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:57   #8
Marine Service Provider

Good point. From what I remember there weren't any specific shoaling warning in GA. Just pretty much the entire state you assumed there could be a shoal everywhere.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:02   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunzster View Post
My last chart thread got me thinking. I finally settled on some cheap used charts, but while I was shopping around I saw some that were 20+ years old. Not sure I'd want to rely on something that outdated. Electronic charts, on the other hand are constantly updated. So, just how often do you update your paper charts?
Do you mean make pen-and-ink updates from the Notices to Mariners, etc or replace the physical charts?

I replace paper charts when they get damaged, or when there is a compelling reason to. I make pen-and-ink changes when it seems important to do so.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:52   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473
I try and correct my paper charts every 3 or 4 months, longer than that and the task becomes a real chore.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:44   #11

Boat: Koopmans, 33 ft cutter
On our sailing boat navigation is done on a PC chart plotter (yes, now with OpenCPN), with a 13 year old Simrad plotter as back-up. On both the maps are recently updated.
The paper maps are about 10 years old, large scale, never updated (only marina's change in the Med), never used.
Zoef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 18:59   #12
Marine Service Provider

I meant update as in new ones, but guess I should have put a few options for handwritten corrections in the poll.

Tags
charts