Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2013, 10:43   #1

Boat: Hobie 17 + Hobie AI... And Gemini 105MC
How long from FLA to MD?

I was curious if anybody has an isea of how long it would take to transport a sailboat (34ft Gemini sailboat) from the East coast of FLA (Ft Lauderdale area) to the top of the Chesepeake (Annapolis MD)?

I am asking because I am trying to figure out if I bought a boat there, if I would be able to take a leave of absence from work in order to sail it home to the Chesepeake. (I would likely hire a captain and serve as crew, as I have much sailing experince but not enough knowlege to make that trip by myself on a new (to me) boat...

BWT I beleive that the Gemini would make it through the ICW, and I would have no prefernce which route, (ICW or Blue water) whichever was fastest.

Thanks!
Old 26-06-2013, 10:54   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: How long from FLA to MD?

Time all depends on how hard you want to push it. You can go offshore and sail non-stop or you can tie up every night, leave after a late breakfast and drop an anchor at 5 pm for a sundowner.

So maybe get a chart, measure the distance and decide how you want to manage the trip, how many hours per day and then do the basic math.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 11:02   #3

Well time would be of the essence, so no tying up each night... about how long blue water non-stop do you think?
Old 26-06-2013, 11:03   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Just in case you don't have a chart handy, the distance is about 1000 miles so if you go nonstop, direct and can do 10 kts then 1000 miles divided by 10 kts gives you 100 hours travel time or about 4 days.

Of course these are best case scenario numbers and unlikely you will average 10 kts. So assuming slower speeds figure 5-7 days. Unless you have really bad weather or no winds at all and have to motor all the way which involves stopping for fuel and then it could take even longer.

If you go up the ICW distance is slightly longer and you will probably have to stop nights.

Really completely depends on how you make the trip.
Old 26-06-2013, 11:08   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
Well time would be of the essence, so no tying up each night... about how long blue water non-stop do you think?
I feel like I should add a cautionary comment. This is the most basic level of navigation.

The fact that you ask this question leads me to strongly agree with your idea to hire a captain for the trip.
Old 26-06-2013, 11:21   #6

Look, I was just looking for a ball park figure from somebody that had made the trip, ok. I can lok at the chart and do the math, but obviously it would be nice to have a little knowlegable confirmation not having sailed that route before.

I know my ability and limits, no need to be degrading.
Old 26-06-2013, 11:42   #7

Boat: Key West 2020 CC

Brian T, I think there is a plethora of Geminis in the Annapolis area as opposed to Fort Lauderdale. The summer trades(SE) would move you along quickly but the weather can be unpredictable with the afternoon T-storms and the hurricane season heating up later next month. If you wait until fall you would be going upstream against all the snowbird traffic southbound in the ICW.
Good Luck with your decision.
OutOfControl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 11:48   #8

Thanks for the reply, there's a chance that it wouldn't be until after this hurricane season. And yeah there are several Geminis in MD, however there also seem to be several in FLA as well, and I was just trying to figure out how much more time would be involoved, and if I should try to limit my choices or not. I just wanted to think it through in case I decide that there is a much better deal elsewhere.
Old 26-06-2013, 11:58   #9

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

The best time in that boat is probably around 6 or 7 days but that depends on the weather cooperating. One almost never gets a good weather window that corresponds with a prescheduled break from work. If you get favorable winds and good weather you can probably make Beaufort NC in a little over three days, if you stay in the gulf stream. If you stay in the stream to Cape Hatteras and go to Norfolk you can probably make that in two more days. In another 24 hours you should be close to Annapolis. THIS IS ALL IF THE WEATHER IS PERFECT. Odds are that you will take longer than this, because that almost never happens. Gemini's are not known for their comfortable ride in rough water though the will move along nicely in the right conditions. I would count on loosing a couple of days to weather and if you are looking to do this between now and October There's always a good chance of a tropical system making it rough out there even if it's not that close. IMO the ICW at night is a two person job. One steering the boat and the other on a spotlight looking for markers and snags. If you only have a crew of two you'll not last long in the ICW trying to go 24/7. I would guess you are talking at least two weeks by the ICW and you'll need to pop outside in a couple of places even to make that. Parts of the ICW to avoid are Ft Lauderdale to Ft Pierce (also known as Bridge Hell), Georgia, Masonboro inlet to Beaufort, NC (can get hung up if the Marines are active at Camp Lejune). If you decide to go the coastal route popping in and out of the ICW Try to go directly from St Mary's inlet to Charleston outside. The ICW between these to inlets is mostly in natural river channels and you have to wind around a lot and make little headway in the direction you really want to go. North of Charleston it's pretty much going in a relatively straight line. If you can manage these areas off shore you might cut it down to 10 days or so. Good luck
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 11:58   #10

Boat: Wittholz 39' Cutter by Kanter, CSY 37 Cutter

Good deal in Florida - at least 100 gallons of fuel - hiring skipper - time off from work - minus food and drink for at least 2 - wear and tear on boat and boat systems = buy one closer to home------just my thoughts-----good luck on your quest
brutb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 12:13   #11

Wow thanks Capt Bill, that was exactly the type of stuff that I was hoping for!

In in response to Brutb, I do understand that it would add some cost and wear, however it would be a great way to learn my new boat but I guess I'm still weighing those trade offs.
Old 26-06-2013, 12:15   #12

Quote:
Look, I was just looking for a ball park figure from somebody that had made the trip, ok. I can lok at the chart and do the math, but obviously it would be nice to have a little knowlegable confirmation not having sailed that route before.

Good luck with your new boat and your trip. Just a thought, though, if you read your OP, there is some merit in the response you got. Had you said "In doing the math, I figure 5 to 7 days, is that close?" you might have avoided that reply, 'cuz that was pretty much my feeling, too. Just so you know, this and many other forums, get so many basic questions like this (there was one recently that asked - I have to go 30 miles, how long will it take?) that there may have been some of the same kind of response to yours.

Then again, some of us answer without thinking too much, too.

All the best.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 12:16   #13

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Seems to me I remember our trip from Dania Beach (just south of the FLL airport) to just south of Annapolis was 1161 miles. (No clue why that number sticks in my head...)

Anyway, we made the trip in 17 leisurely days of great weather and including a 3-day layover near Savannah. That also included two legs outside. Could have made it in 5 long days (i.e., not non-stop), but that would have had to be on plane at maybe 20 kts most of the way (except for speed limited areas).

-Chris
Old 26-06-2013, 12:19   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

Sorry if you misunderstand or I misunderstood. I did not mean come across as patronizing or degrading.

I know nothing about you and your knowledge or abilities other than what you ask. From the very basic nature of the question you ask and the minimal information you supplied I assumed minimal expertise on your side and felt like it might be warranted to advise caution.

I mean it only takes about 30 seconds to get a rough idea of the distance and do the math for a straight line calculation. However, how long it takes is hugely variable depending on your plans, weather, inside or outside, etc, etc, etc. The answer based on the information you provided could vary from 4 days to 4 weeks.

And yes I have made the trip.
Old 26-06-2013, 12:34   #15

Thanks so much, no hard feelings I probably could have worded the question better...

What I was hoping for was numbers from people who might have made that trip, just to give some real world data to my research. (there always seems to be something that you haven't thought about unitl you experience it first hand, and I was kind of curious to see the range of answers that I might get based on various experiences)

I'll try to be more specific and careful when I post in the future