Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2013, 01:10   #31

Boat: Norm Cross 28 Tri, Hobie Miracle 20, Hobie trifoiler, Condor-40
Re: How long from FLA to MD?

I enjoyed this thread. I looked for an ICW thread for traveling south Mass to S Florida but did not see one. I just bought a boat in MA and live in Hawaii. Now that a delivery. Chris L
Chris in Hawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:51   #32

Boat: Hobie 17 + Hobie AI... And Gemini 105MC

Wow, that IS a delivery!! ...you must have found one HELL of a deal to make that worth while?!

I've since decided that there's no reason for me to go to fla to find a Gemini. I actually found a great deal on a beautiful 2011 105mc that I have an offer on and hope to close this week or next and close enough to get it home in a weekend
Old 10-07-2013, 06:17   #33

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris in Hawaii View Post
I enjoyed this thread. I looked for an ICW thread for traveling south Mass to S Florida but did not see one. I just bought a boat in MA and live in Hawaii. Now that a delivery. Chris L
This because technically the Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway starts in Norfolk, VA. There is a mostly inland route from MA to Norfolk, but one must go offshore around NJ in a sailboat. The New Jersey intracoastal waterway has low bridges and only a sailboat with a short mast can pass through it. I think the limiting height is a 34 feet, as I remember, but in any case it was well less than my 63 feet. Depending on where you are starting in MA you essentialy run down Buzzards bay, through Long Island Sound and through the east river at NYC, out the mouth of the Hudson, at Sandy Hook, south to Delaware Bay, Up Delaware Bay to the C&D Canal, down the Chesapeake to Norfolk where you join the ICW. Plan your trip so you pass through the East river when the current is running towards the Hudson or you'll spend a lot of time going nowhere. Also plan to arrive at the mouth of Delaware Bay at low slack tide or just before. That will give you a favorable current all the way throgh the C&D Canal. I'm sure people can give lts of recommendations on places to stop along the way.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:29   #34

Boat: Morgan 452
You should not have said anything about changing your plans. The discussions/arguments about using the ICW vs. offshore could have gone on for days!

I would have added that, several years ago, my wife and I signed on to help friends move their boat from Miami to DC. We had five crew, all experienced offshore. The plan was to go offshore and take a week. Because of weather, we ended up stuck inside on the ICW. After 4 days, we had made it to just North of Fort Lauderdale. We had to bail at that point in order to ensure that we could get back to Virginia in time.

Bottom line - plan on taking the slow route, then be pleasantly surprised if you can go faster. Doing it the other way around is how people make bad decisions.
CaptFrankM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:46   #35

Boat: Norm Cross 28 Tri, Hobie Miracle 20, Hobie trifoiler, Condor-40

The boat I purchased is off shore capable, a Condor-40. What a beautiful boat especially for an older design. Since we sail Hawaii, big winds, big waves, and its all off shore I prefer to sail with some scheduled landings to explore points as we travel south. Heck, otherwise get a trawler. I also get super deals at Marriott Resorts being a retired Marriott Exec. So hopping down the coast with occasional cheap to free hotel rooms is pretty attractive itinerary.

Checking the Atlantic wind patterns it appears to be up wind all the way down the coast. I am familiar with the Pacific weather patterns and will have to quickly learn the Atlantic ones. For instance on the west coast if want to go from Mexico to Seattle, you have to do a big loop out to Hawaii so you don't beat up wind along the coast.

Let the adventure begin. Any one interested in participating in the initial sail MA to Chesapeake in September. Should be beautiful. Crew would be unpaid except for expenses aboard during transit. I do have a USCG license with Sail addendum so pretty experienced. I will post this request to the CREW WANTED forum.
Chris in Hawaii is offline   Reply With Quote