Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2012, 05:34   #46
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: How far are we away from 100% iPad / PC navigation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heritage View Post
Dave:
Could you tell us how you persuade Garmin to upgrade the charts for free. Updated charts for my Garmin chartplotter are expensive.
What I meant was that if you buy a 555 today you get free charts, before you had to buy them.

Dave
Old 29-12-2012, 06:01   #47
CLOD

Boat: none

I had to replace my car's GPS this year. The old that I bought cost me about $900, the new one cost me about $130. I believe te difference is due to all the cell and smart phones that apps that do the same time.

I expect Ipads etc to have the same effect on boat systems with time.
Old 29-12-2012, 06:11   #48
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
I had to replace my car's GPS this year. The old that I bought cost me about $900, the new one cost me about $130. I believe te difference is due to all the cell and smart phones that apps that do the same time.

Mostly its just general competition and a huge increase in the size of the market, electronics costs are very volume orientated.
Old 29-12-2012, 06:55   #49
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
What time? It's 9:58 and there's a West Marine down the road.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 06:58   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
What I meant was that if you buy a 555 today you get free charts, before you had to buy them.

Dave
That is an excellent example of what we have been talking about. Garmin chartploters come with preloaded charts, but a couple of years down the road when you want to update them, it will cost you. The 555 (the Aus/UK version) and the 545 (the NA version) uses Bluechart g2 which costs $150. for the US charts.

My 440 is 5 years old, and the loaded charts are now so out of date that they are totally useless. As a contrast, because they are free (for the US), I update the charts for iNav-X on my i-Pad every six months.

I have a hard time understanding why I should pay Garmin $150 for something that I can get for free.
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 07:11   #51
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
What time? It's 9:58 and there's a West Marine down the road.

time as measured by flipping the page on a calendar
Old 29-12-2012, 07:29   #52

I am more than a newb when it comes to all the different software and map options available to use with ipads, laptops, tablets, etc. When I can see the coasts, I like paper charts for the original plotting of the day, but can also use an iPhone or regular marine plotter/gps.

I personally think it is all about what YOU personally will do with the info and how much you need that will dictate anytime soon which way to go with. Personally, I wished there was some standard info gathering devices on the boat already wired that would allow me to bring in my MAC laptop with all the maps I need in a simple to use format that will allow the GPS info to come in, the radar info to come in, etc. That way, I could use my laptop down below for everything and at the end of the day I can simply unplug it and take it to work the next day to use for everything else. Would even love to have some way of wirelessly transmit what my laptop is "seeing and displaying" down below to a cheap iPad on a protective case in the cockpit for reference and nothing else.

Maybe this already exists, but I think at this point is not readily available or practical/easy to the non-techie oriented boater that could otherwise just have a plotter installed on the boat permanently. Please correct me and educate me if I am wrong.
dgasmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 07:35   #53

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Personally I like having radar and radar overlay, which for the moment means a dedicated marine chart plotter.
However I have noticed a distinct trend away from marine chart plotters and towards a PC (with Open CPN or Maxsea) or tablet based system.

Just yesterday I fixed a marine chart plotter (Raymarine C70) for a fellow cruising sailor. They were of course grateful, but had transferred to PC based system and I think they will probably get little use from their repaired chart plotter.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 09:29   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Personally I like having radar and radar overlay, which for the moment means a dedicated marine chart plotter.
With an integrated system I like to run my charts north up and my radar course up on side by side windows. That eliminates the overlay, which I find a bit busy.

One advantage to a PC based system is that I can use raster charts, which "proper" chart symbols.

BTW - I have just gone back to Navionics on my new phone and discovered NGA Sailing Directions, very cool. The marina information still notoriously incorrect.

I am finding that Navionics is crashing when I try to get additional information on some features. Anyone else having that problem.?
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:27   #55
Sponsoring Vendor

Boat: Catalina 387

Like many who responded, I would struggle with the notion of an off shore trip and no paper charts, for many who are students of the navigation arts, it's important to keep your skills current and no better way then on a long off shore trip where time is what you have plenty of.

I am a strong advocate for iPad based navigation tools and feel they are an essential compliment for any nav station providing cost effective flexible options to enhance your navigation and watch keeping tasks.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
iLog Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:46   #56
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad7 View Post
iPad or Tablet...

I use a Galaxy 10.1 tablet in the cockpit with a special protective cover, taking complete command of my laptop where all my various programs and charts are stored,safely situated down below in the cabin. I use TeamViewer to maintain the wi-fi or LAN connection between the two.

This way,I can run ALL the Android apps as well as ALL my Windows based programs from the same (tab) screen. All my charts are located on a pendrive inserted in a USB adapter on my Tablet where I also have a backup navigation program named OruxMaps. Otherwise I can also use OpenCPN.

Tore
I like this solution as it keeps the navigational PC out of the cockpit and Wi-Fi links to a display in the cockpit.

Would like to see how you keep the 10.1 dry?
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:23   #57
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic

I like this solution as it keeps the navigational PC out of the cockpit and Wi-Fi links to a display in the cockpit.

Would like to see how you keep the 10.1 dry?
We keep our iPad dry with a lifeproof case. Great products but horrible customer service. I mean just horrible.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:20   #58

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
With an integrated system I like to run my charts north up and my radar course up on side by side windows. That eliminates the overlay, which I find a bit busy.

One advantage to a PC based system is that I can use raster charts, which "proper" chart symbols.

BTW - I have just gone back to Navionics on my new phone and discovered NGA Sailing Directions, very cool. The marina information still notoriously incorrect.

I am finding that Navionics is crashing when I try to get additional information on some features. Anyone else having that problem.?
There is certainly no ideal system.
I use a radar overlay mainly to judge the map accuarcy. In the remote sort of anchorages I prefer the maps are are often very wrong. Radar is better, but at least an overlay tells you the map wants displacing say 300m east to be accurate.

I don't have a great preference for raster or vector charts, but both options are great. That way you can avoid most surprises.

If you can maintain an Internet connection ( or download into the cache) google earth is often ( but not always) the most up to date when approcing a land structure, like a marina.

I tend to use Navionics on my iPad as very much secondary information, but I have had no problems with it crashing.

Occasionally I notice that the red triangle ( which denotes the current possition) is not updated ( keep the track on, that is always in the correct spot)
This glitch has persisted over several software updates, so if any of the Navionics gurus are listening this bug needs fixing.
PM me if you want details.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 15:46   #59

Boat: Coast 34

So I just bought an Ipad. It looks pretty fragile. I've heard a lot of good things about using it for navigation but I'm having a hard time picturing using it on our boat versus a chart plotter. I like having something to glance at as we go along but I'm used to cruising amongst islands in the PNW where we frequently consult a chartplotter. How do you use an Ipad? Do you attach it to the pedestal somehow or put it on a cockpit seat and pick it up to check it out? Do you enclose it in a waterproof protection cover (which one?) in the cockpit, then put it in a shock-proof cover when you have it down below? A search doesn't show me anything that is both waterproof and shockproof. Especially not a ziplock bag. A pelican case or the standard leather cover down below? If it isn't secured in the cockpit I can see it sliding around and falling, and/or getting stepped on or sat on. If you download Navionics, can you set waypoints? When you are steering, is it one hand for the wheel and one hand for the Ipad? I guess the logistics of having the Ipad available during passages is the most pressing issue. Any thoughts?
Annie in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 15:51   #60
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

iPhone Cases and iPad Cases | LifeProof Great products, horrible customer service. Just so you know. Waterproof/drop proof.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Ipad, navigation