Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2015, 12:50   #1

Boat: Brewer 44' Steel
Homeport Tracks vs Routes

Guys.
Have Homeport but can't understand difference between a Route and a Track. Called Garmin. The tech says they are Almost the same but a track is quicker to lay down.
I ask because I have a single point a bit off the previously laid route. When you place the pointer on it a bubble appears with a number but I can't figure out how to erase it. Nothing works and eraser function is not lit up as a choice to be used. Ideas? Comments re route/ track thing.
Thanks. Russ
Old 22-06-2015, 18:16   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Homeport Tracks vs Routes

Generally:
A track is a record of where you have been.
A route is a plan for where you intend to go.

A track just records a series of locations (and can display the distance and bearing between the points)

A route can store a lot more information. HP will automatically give you the expected time and fuel consumption for each leg based on your selected boat profile. By displaying the details of a route, you can put in start date/time, different leg speeds, layover periods, refuelling etc so you can use it as a passage planning tool.

Have you tried selecting and right clicking on the "single point", you should get a context sensitive popup menu.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2015, 18:28   #3

Boat: Brewer 44' Steel

Ya in most cases what you say is true but NOT in Homeport. You CREATE a track and a route on the Homeport program. Hence the rub, Homeport treats a track differently than things like CE, or The CAPN. No offense but you haven't used Homeport I guess. Remember Homeport is ONLY a planning software. Once the Homeport route/track is loaded on the Garmin chart plotter things are different, then what you say applies.

That's the question I am asking how is Homeport different in the way it treats a track and a route. Why chose to plan using a track vs a route

Russ
Old 22-06-2015, 18:41   #4

Boat: Chris-Craft Carribean 35'

Sometimes a waypoint routing will take you through mountains in my neck of the woods. I like my tracks!
Capt. Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2015, 18:53   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Ya in most cases what you say is true but NOT in Homeport. You CREATE a track and a route on the Homeport program. Hence the rub, Homeport treats a track differently than things like CE, or The CAPN. No offense but you haven't used Homeport I guess. Remember Homeport is ONLY a planning software. Once the Homeport route/track is loaded on the Garmin chart plotter things are different, then what you say applies.

That's the question I am asking how is Homeport different in the way it treats a track and a route. Why chose to plan using a track vs a route

Russ
On the contrary. I had Homeport open and was checking what I was posting as I did it.

It's not only "planning software". In addition to route (not track) planning, I use it both as a trip archive and as a post-race analysis tool after importing tracks from a GPS.

The simple anwer to "why chose to plan using a track vs a route" is: Don't! Routes are designed for planning. Tracks are not.

The fact that HP lets you create a track manually by clicking on points and also edit tracks doesn't alter anything I said. (That's why I started off with the word "generally"). Such a track has limited use as a planning tool. Unlike a route, you can't put in the other variables required for planning such as speed, fuel, layovers.

FWIW, I regularly import tracks from my handheld Garmin into HP and use HP for route planning - exporting the routes to the handheld once I have them fully planned.

Creating a track for planning purposes in HP is like using a hammer to insert a screw. You can do it, but it's not the right tool for the job and the end result will not be as good.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2015, 22:04   #6

Its a matter of terminology.

Track *usually* refers to a recorded track. You can use any garmin device (or even phones) to record tracks. Typically a track would record your GPS location every few seconds. So if you record a track for even an hour, it would have 1000s of points (literally).

For e.g. this a recorded track I found online.

Marine Track

Route is a collection of waypoints that you follow in order to get from point A to point B. When plotting a route manually you typically follow a channel (if there is one), go around hazards/shoals/shallow areas.

For e.g. this is a route.

Marine Route

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Guys.
Have Homeport but can't understand difference between a Route and a Track. Called Garmin. The tech says they are Almost the same but a track is quicker to lay down.
I ask because I have a single point a bit off the previously laid route. When you place the pointer on it a bubble appears with a number but I can't figure out how to erase it. Nothing works and eraser function is not lit up as a choice to be used. Ideas? Comments re route/ track thing.
Thanks. Russ
Old 23-06-2015, 08:28   #7

Location: Full time RV traveler presently (temporarily) in Mesa AZ
Boat: Cal 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by karle View Post
When plotting a route manually you typically follow a channel (if there is one),
I'm glad you said "typically" as there is a channel through San Pablo Bay (San Francisco Bay Area) where the marked channel is restricted. Recreational boats are directed on the chart to stay out of it.
secrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
route