Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2015, 09:01   #16

Re: GPS position during Mayday

An option to using the geographic position (lat/long) is the relative position (direction and distance from a known point). But folks are so fixated on chart plotters that they do not really know where they are.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2015, 09:03   #17

Boat: pelle&Peterson, Maxi95, 9,5 mètres
Send a message via Skype™ to Va2shp
Thumbs up Re: GPS position during Mayday

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
The last few days in the Caribbean there has been a few Maydays and Pan Pans none of which have been able to pass a GPS position to the Coast Guard efficiently or at all by VHF.

So perhaps as a reminder to people in any part of world that the most important bit of information is the GPS position sent by DSC or clearly given and repeated until its clear correctly received and spoken clearly back to the vessel in distress.

Every boat by now should have VHF with DSC which should be connected to a GPS so the position is sent when the Red button is pushed.

Particularly important where the coast station may not have English as a first language as it compounds the difficulty for other vessels to understand it.

Hopefully none of us need to issue a Mayday but we must all be able to do the radio procedure instantly, correctly and understandably.

Mark
Well said!
Va2shp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2015, 09:19   #18

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by athene View Post
On a lighter note, the posting reminds me of a darkly humorous story told to me a few years ago by a member of the UK's coastguard agency.

The coastguard received a Mayday from a spanking new and very luxurious powerboat on its way down the English Channel, both engines of which had failed.

Before the well-oiled machinery of the maritime rescue operation could be triggered, the evidently somewhat panicked owner was asked to provide the vital information of his current position.

A puzzled silence of several seconds ensued before the answer came: 'Well, I'm the managing director of a food manufacturing company - but I don't see what that's got to do with it.'

GORDON KNIGHT
Thanks for the chuckle.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2015, 09:41   #19

Boat: Gulf 32

The nice thing about giving direction & distance (as long as it's clear, not "I'm off that point with the trees") is it can be easier to find the vessel in distress if a good samaritan doesn't have a GPS (or doesn't have it on) or isn't familiar with how to navigate from one GPS point to another (or how to input a point into their chartplotter / GPS).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
An option to using the geographic position (lat/long) is the relative position (direction and distance from a known point). But folks are so fixated on chart plotters that they do not really know where they are.
basssears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2015, 09:56   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by svfinlandia View Post
I agree that everyone in the boating community should have at least a minimum of training to use the VHF. Most ex military (as am I) already know the drill, but I get pretty tired of hearing people with all their 10-4's and good buddy's and the rest of the CB lingo on the radio.

Al, S/V Finlandia
Sailing on Lk Ontario sometimes you can tell what side people are from by the radio comms, The VHF course here isn't much, takes a day, but you can sure tell who knows the basics and who doesn't.
I was sure that until a while ago people in the States had to have some kind of radio ticket as well. I think one is available, think it's required for commercial? Any of that sound familiar to anybody?
Siberianhusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2015, 10:12   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by basssears View Post
The nice thing about giving direction & distance (as long as it's clear, not "I'm off that point with the trees") is it can be easier to find the vessel in distress if a good samaritan doesn't have a GPS (or doesn't have it on) or isn't familiar with how to navigate from one GPS point to another (or how to input a point into their chartplotter / GPS).
It also alerts folks in the neighbourhood, without them having to check their geographical position.
Old 27-12-2015, 10:21   #22
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

"10 miles East of X Headland" is one hell of a lot of water. A good L&L is just a bucket full. Buy, yes, in close coastal, estuaries etc, fine.
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2015, 10:27   #23

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Not new - still funny

While knowing your lat/long is good a bit of spatial awareness also helps.....

At 03dark quite a few years ago I heard a young Melbourne bloke just back from a solo circumnav . Lonsdale had just asked where he was... '4 miles SSW of Lonsdale' was all the coast station wished for... he was given a position to the third decimal place of minutes of arc.... I felt like asking what end of the boat he was talking about.....
Old 27-12-2015, 11:03   #24

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

I was taught that in extremis, when short of time the two most important pieces of information that you had to send were:
- position.
- number of persons in danger.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2015, 11:15   #25

Boat: Sea Ray,SundancerDA,30

I don't want to pay for a 15 min learning experience on a VHF. We boaters pay for almost every thing and its expensive.. There is really no need to do this. All radio mfg's should have this information in side the box.. Any boater that sells a boat, should automatically ask the new owners if they have a MMSI number already and should be able to tell them where on line to acquire one. Try MMSI Registration - Maritime Mobile Service Identity - BoatUS Allso this http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/cg534/sar...SIpamphlet.pdf
thats where myself and my friends go for ours ITS FREE. Just sign up for one, very easy registration form, then take that new MMSI number and input it into your radio.

MARITIME MOBILE SERVICE IDENTITY
A Maritime Mobile Service Identity is a series of nine digits which are sent in digital form over a radio frequency channel in order to uniquely identify ship stations, ship earth stations, coast stations, coast earth stations, and group calls. These identities are formed in such a way that the identity or part thereof can be used by telephone and telex subscribers connected to the general telecommunications network to call ships automatically. I hope this helps out for all. New boaters, You should read the instructions first. Its very easy and dont' be intimidated by it. I'm ex navy and NG and was a radio man. sorry for this long text.
CC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2015, 11:22   #26

Boat: Sea Ray,SundancerDA,30

For got to mention, you only get ONE TRY TO INPUT YOUR MMSI NUMBER.
you can have the place that you purchased your VHF to help you do it or inside your marina you can ask another boater to help you. They would be glad to do this for you. ON another note, if more than yourself will be heading to the same place , trade your mmsi's and input theirs into your radio. You can call them easily for more weather conditions or what ever.. Its another little safety deal.
CC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2015, 12:31   #27

Until it is law to have a dsc radio with some knd of gps there will be people who have a plain old school VHF for them the mmsi thing is a moot point. What are your plans for them? Build a wall and keep them in their end of the lake/pond/ocean?
Siberianhusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2015, 13:00   #28

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
"10 miles East of X Headland" is one hell of a lot of water. A good L&L is just a bucket full. Buy, yes, in close coastal, estuaries etc, fine.
You have that right. However a coastal person with only a VHF it may apply.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2015, 13:16   #29
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
the two most important pieces of information that you had to send were:
- position.
- number of persons in danger

Why the number of persons?
Solo sailors not worth rescuing?
Black couples are next.
Babies co-located with tv cameras very important to be rescued? (Provided rescuers look heroic?)
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2015, 13:18   #30

Quote:
But it can get the CG or whoever headed in the right direction.

That is also why you give a vessel description and get the flares ready.

Communication will continue until the situation is resolved.

Tags
gps