Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2010, 02:03   #1
TOM

Boat: Footloose 40 steel cutter
GPS Monitor

We want to move our gps to the helm { currently running Maxsea 10 on our laptop downstairs}. I do not like the idea of moving the laptop upstairs as it will just get ruined . Would like to hear from anyone who runs computer based nav software at the helm and by what means. I have looked up waterproof screens and can not find anything and waterproof laptops cost a fortune .

Any Ideas ?

www.byamee.com
TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 02:53   #2

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000
Yup me too..I looked and looked..for a 12V powered waterproof monitor..the only ones I found cost a fortune...for less money, I bought and installed a 10" C-Map based chart plotter under the dodger...and included AIS...now I have a redundant GPS and a waterproof screen with AIS ...magic !

See you out there

Alan
Albro359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 03:13   #3
TOM

Boat: Footloose 40 steel cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albro359 View Post
Yup me too..I looked and looked..for a 12V powered waterproof monitor..the only ones I found cost a fortune...for less money, I bought and installed a 10" C-Map based chart plotter under the dodger...and included AIS...now I have a redundant GPS and a waterproof screen with AIS ...magic !

See you out there

Alan
Not sure what you mean ? are you saying that you can use a chart plotter screen to act as a monitor for p.c based nav software .
TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 03:50   #4

Boat: Lark - 14ft Racing Dinghy - Heart Of Gold
You might look at VarTech, who I have contacted in the past for exactly this purpose, however, their screens are very expensive. Alternatively, you could pick up a cheap TFT screen from e-bay and mount it behind some perspex/plexiglass. If you could ensure that your enclosure was airtight, then it shouldn't fog. You may need some silica gel to help with this.

Tim B.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:03   #5

Boat: Morgan, O.I. 33' Dutch Treat
I am not sure what price range you are talking about as being high but I do know the Raymarine A-50 chartploter will hook up to a computer nav station but believe you have to use the softwear they have. The cost of the C-50 with all the charts is around $1,000 so maybe something to think about.

Right now I use Maptech on my Laptop with a stand to hold it right inside the hatch been working fine for two years now but have been making plans to buy the A-50 because of the cost of charts, it is the cheapest way I have found to get the charts I need.

Dutch
johnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:37   #6

My comment on expense is based on a 15" touchscreen at IP65 being $4000. It would be worth contacting them, to see what they can do for your requirements, if you don't need a touchscreen, or a 15" screen then the price will be significantly less. You might also want to think about how the software will interact with a second monitor. Is it a mirror display? Expanded Screen? Do you really need touch-screen? Lots to think about.

Tim B.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:06   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Why not just fit a small chart plotter at the helm? they are built to do just this, use minimal power and perfect for the job. We have the Garmin 555s and AIS in place of the more normal dare I say old fashioned idea of a compass.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:13   #8

It depends what you are trying to achieve. For instance, if you already run NAV software which works out the fastest course for you then it makes sense to repeat it on the helm. You might also want the ablity to monitor tanks, or electricals, or the engine from the helm. I know there are chart-plotters that are getting better at this, but they get expensive if you want one with a large screen, or need a NAV station as well.

Tim B.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:51   #9

Boat: PETERSON 44
Got to think that a Small chart plotter with nmea would give the best bang. Otherwise you might look at itronix ix250 or 260. The 250 syncs with my garmin fine running seaclear. Only problem is the screen resolution is to small for some programs (google earth). They can be setup for internal gps. It's my backup/ kids computer. Check eBay the 250 can be fetched for about a $200 and a 260 for near$350. For reduntant and tough not sure this isn't a good way to go.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:08   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim B View Post
It depends what you are trying to achieve.
Tim B.
Agreed, in a busy shipping area, on a foul rainy night, just enough information to keep us safe and something utterly reliable.

A small chart plotter would give excellent redundancy to laptop on the chart table if it went pear shaped too. Only one make for us, Garmin, although we do have a C80 under the sprayhood it rarely gets turned on.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 13:22   #11

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM View Post
Not sure what you mean ? are you saying that you can use a chart plotter screen to act as a monitor for p.c based nav software .
Hi Tom,

No I have laptop at the Nav station that can run MAxsea V12. I ALSO have a waterproof C-Map plotter under the dodger which has an AIS function as well. Use this most of the time...draws less current than the laptop and can use it at the helm....
Maxsea has asome good features that I use from time to time and raster charts which I prefer, but the logistics of being able to use it at the helm defeated me..so I caved in and bought a C-map plotter.

See you out there

Alan
Albro359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2010, 18:26   #12

Boat: Gibsea 126
We used a garmin GPS76 at the helm. We used OziExplorer down below and uploaded our main sailing route the the GPS (using a direct connection to the laptop). We also could input clearance waypoints or safe sailing borders (as routes).

It's simple, cheap, easily backed up and got us 33,000 miles. It also helps you pre-plan your route. You would be amazed at the number of sailors who only see a location when it first appears on their automatic chart for the first time. Nothing beats good planning.
svbillabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2010, 19:50   #13

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
For almost 10 years I have been buying cheap LCD monitors and mounting them under a dodger or at the helm. Then I put a 2gal ziplok baggie over the monitor and have a waterproof display. Extension cables run down to the lapbook at the nav station. I wireless mouse and/or seal rubber keyboard complete the installation. Works fine. The cheap LCD can be replaced dozens of times before you equal the cost of the fancy chartplotter.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2010, 21:38   #14

Boat: Columbia 10.7. 35’
You can buy Itronix military grade laptops on Ebay for cheep. I believe they come without hard drive, but those are also available.