Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2014, 15:16   #1

Going north along the East Coast.

Hi, everyone. I am moving my boat, Mason 48 ketch, from North Carolina to Connecticut in a couple of weeks, and would like to know as much as possible about the ICW and open water options. I will have a crew of 2 inexperienced people. So the offshore route is, probably, out of the question. Any information about the cruising grounds from NC to NY will be greatly appreciated.
Nikolay
nikolay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2014, 15:39   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Going north along the East Coast.

First notice that I edited your post to read "ICW" instead of "ISW",- I'm assuming that was your intent.

I'm guessing that you have a 57' bridge clearance requirement and a 6' draft. Let me know if that's not right. ...and add the information about where you are in North Carolina, so we can give some information about inlets and the two ICW routes to the Chesapeake.

You'll likely have no difficulties with the ICW route to the Chesapeake and an easy path to the C&D canal as well as down the Delaware River to Cape May. The Cape May Canal would suit your draft at High tide, but only allow your bridge clearance at low tide, so your choice is outside around the cape, but you can take an easy wait inside the Cape May Inlet from the Atlantic side for a passage up to NYC. The East River in New York requires timing for the current and there are several suitable places to anchor awaiting this opportunity. There are also complimantary town moorings at Port Washington in Manhassett Bay after passing into Long Island Sound.

Confirm your vessel draft & heigth. Tell us of your staring area and we can give you some more details.
Old 29-05-2014, 16:34   #3

Thank you, CaptForce for the info. The main mast is 57 ft high, and the boat draws 5 feet. Most likely I will not attempt the Cape May Canal. Are there safe inlets on the NJ shore to hide into in case of bad weather.
Old 29-05-2014, 17:30   #4

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

You may want to check ActiveCaptain to find all the good places to tuck in on your trip.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2014, 17:44   #5
Eternal Member

The safe ones are: (1) Cape May (not the canal); (2) Abescon Inlet (Atlantic City); and (3) Sandy Hook.

There are a couple of others, but they are tricky. Best is probably Barnegat Inlet...they're constantly moving the buoys...be careful if you choose this one.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2014, 18:46   #6

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman

Sandy hook is not a good choice in east winds.. Actually just not real good. My opinion

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2014, 18:57   #7
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capttman View Post
Sandy hook is not a good choice in east winds.. Actually just not real good. My opinion
Not sure what you mean. There's excellent protection in East winds, once round the entrance channel.

Do you mean the channel itself in rough conditions?

Bill

Click image for larger version

Name:	SandyHook.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	293.1 KB
ID:	82101
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2014, 20:16   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

With the five foot draft you can take either the Virginia Cut to the Great Bridge Lock or the Dismal Swamp Route by the way of Elizabeth City to reach the Chesapeake Bay. I personally like the Dismal Swamp route, but if it's June or July the biting flys in the Dismal Swamp are not an option! I would choose Cape May, Absecon Inlet, Manasquan Inlet and Sandy Hook (to Atlantic Highlands) as good potential stops on the New Jersey Coast. Cape May offers a good anchorage just off the Coast Guard Station. Absecon Inlet (Atlantic City) has a great anchorage on the north side of the inlet passage just before the fixed bridge at Rum Point. Enter slow between the grassy bank to port and the sloping sand beach to starboard. Once your're in it's a great protected place. Manasquan Inlet is a simple straight shot, but there's no good anchorage and it requires a marina stay if you choose to enter,- call a marina ahead for space. Rounding Sandy Hook gives you an access down to Atlantic Highlands where you can find a protected anchorage just inside the breakwater. North wind can be a bit disturing , but I do not see any east wind problem here! Put yourself at the battery (south end of Manhatten Island) to run with the current up past Hell Gate and into Long Island Sound. I like to stay on the eastside at Verrazano Bridge and take Buttermilk Channel east of Governors Isand to reach the East River. Also, look at the anchorage by Liberty Island just south and west of the Statue of Liberty. This gives you a shorter distance to time the current up the East River. North of Hell's Gate, it's a good choice to go between the two Brother's Islands. Have a great trip!
Old 02-06-2014, 18:41   #9

Thanks a lot to everyone! Now I know what to expect on my way home.
Nikolay.

Tags
east coast