Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2017, 07:10   #1

Boat: C&C 37/CB
Gearing up... Garmin Charts/OpenCPN

We're going through the final stages of outfitting our C&C 37 for a Bahamas mission this coming winter. We have been coastal cruisers in New England up until now.

Would appreciate some reviews from Garmin users on their experience with standard chart sets installed on GPSMAP equipment.

We have a Garmin 4212 with installed charts for the USA and northern Bahamas. Will likely purchase the VUS030R chip for the Southeast Caribbean in case we stray a bit south.

Anyone familiar with Garmin charts? Should we carry a backup system from another vendor? I'm thinking about OpenCPN as a backup.
Tasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 08:48   #2

Boat: Irwin Citation, 38, Bonsai1
Re: Gearing up... Garmin Charts/OpenCPN

Garmin charts are the most accurate ones to use in the Bahamas, there is a charter fleet operating out of Nassau that uses Garmin and nothing else . I use it my self , I run two garmin GPS on my Boat.
bateaubonsai1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:09   #3

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

IMHO some kind of backup is prudent. For back up I use Garmin Blue Chart Mobile on iPad and iPhone. Charts are very inexpensive and are as accurate as my primary nav system. Some folks have trouble with iPads overheating in the sun and shutting down. Mine is always in the shade and I've not had any problems with it. It takes no computer skills and it "Just works"!

I'm fascinated by OpenCPN and would like to try it but I'm not very computer savvy and rather intimidated by the initial set up. If you are a computer guy that may be a better way to go.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:39   #4

Thanks bateaubonsai1: "Garmin charts are the most accurate ones to use in the Bahamas, ..... I use it my self , I run two garmin GPS on my Boat"

This is very reassuring - I love my GPSMAP 4212 - and I'm happy to hear the Garmin chart cards are [reasonably] accurate.

Have you ever tried another supplier of charts? What Garmin maps have you installed (VUS029R?)?

I am planning to stick to day-light passage over the banks areas. Do you have advice or comments on that? Our draft is 4.5ft.
Old 09-04-2017, 11:30   #5

From darylat8750: "IMHO some kind of backup is prudent. For back up I use Garmin Blue Chart Mobile on iPad and iPhone. ... I'm fascinated by OpenCPN and would like to try it but I'm not very computer savvy and rather intimidated by the initial set up."

I absolutely agree about redundancy - I usually have 3 GPSs - large bulkhead mount, smaller one with integrated antenna that I configure through a temporary mount, and a hand held...

But all three are Garmin. I was watching a youTube video of a sailing couple and they showed two screens with contradictory charts...

I was thinking that carrying charts from multiple vendors may hamper integration - but may also be wise to get access to different chart data... Will carry paper charts also - but usually look at those in the morning and not so much underway.

Would be very interested in opinions and advice here. I know there are those that don't trust GPS data - but this is often the most up to date.

OpenCPN is a breeze to set up on the PC. Haven't tried it on a tablet yet. I've downloaded Raster charts and ECN? Both were based on NOAA data though... Basically paper charts for your chart plotter...
Old 09-04-2017, 22:11   #6

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

I agree with two different sources for nav data. I also like the idea of different platforms. I should have mentioned that my primary nav is Furuno. When I first started with the electronic nav I was a little paranoid and also used another program on my laptop so I had 3 separate navigation programs running a once. (Trawler so electric power is not an issue.) On the Yucatan none of them were reliable for accuracy. In the US they were all very close with a slight edge to the Garmin stuff.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 16:17   #7

darylat8750: "I agree with two different sources for nav data. I also like the idea of different platforms. ... In the US they were all very close with a slight edge to the Garmin stuff."

Thanks, It's reassuring to hear people liking the Garmin chart data. Our summer cruising range has been between NY and Maine and have also found it quite reliable.

I remember cruising the Bahamas in the 1980's and we had some sketchy guidebook and I spent a lot of time sitting on the first spreader... Hoping that someone can share their thoughts on how reliable any chart data is likely to be in the Bahamas now...
Old 27-04-2017, 09:56   #8

Boat: Irwin Citation, 38, Bonsai1

I was a skipper for a Canadian charter compagnie for a few years and we used to deliver Bareboats sailing day and night thru the yellow bank using Garmin , very accurate , never touch Bottom, NO LIES !
bateaubonsai1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:46   #9

Boat: Chris Craft 38 Commander 1965

I have used various PC based systems over the years and have also been a Garmin user for many years as well. Presently I have Garmin GPSMap and keep the charts updated from their website and have a PC onboard running Windows 7 with OpenCPN installed. What I like about this combination is that using Garmin's HomePort application on the PC I can start with a backup of everything on my GPSMap and save it to the computer. Then can easily plan things on the PC with it's bigger screen at home on my home office PC - make any changes or additions and then take it all back to the boat's GPSMap and install it. Also, Homeport will export the data to a file that OpenCPN can read so both the Garmin Plotter and the OpenCPN have exactly the same data - waypoints, routes, etc.
This is much more convenient than what I used to do when I used something else on my PC. I had to recreate the data by hand and there was always some discrepancies between the two sets of data. Now all is perfectly synchronized.
My autopilot can take it's data from either the Garmin or the PC whichever I want. Typically from the Garmin and the PC is a backup.
A second (and third) GPS source is available should the GPSMap go down for some reason.

I started out back in the sixties boating Treasure Coast and Keys of Florida and most all of the Little Bahama Bank and including the Berry Islands, Bimini, and North Eluthera. Fist with paper charts, the Loran C, the GPS without plotter, then finally ending up with my present configuration. I have a Chartkit book in the locker for my Backup to the Backup.
Squanderbucks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charts, enc, garmin, gear, opencpn