Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2020, 00:15   #46

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: French Canals UK to the Med

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathenly Twins View Post
Another worthy consideration is the amount of weed in the smaller canals. YouTube channels Wildings Sailing and Sailing Magic Carpet both posted recent vlogs of their French canal transits and, to be honest, it looked a bit nightmarish. Weed so thick it looked like one could practically walk on it and frequent propeller fouling and water intake clogging. I'd previously considered a canal trip but after watching their experiences it doesn't seem worthwhile. Good luck.
Agreed, they both had problems with weed, but what we don't know is if this is a one off because no one really used the canals during the Spring due to lock down or happens every year. I thought Magic Carpet really enjoyed most of the trip given the circumstances and this is there second long canal trip.

It won't put us off, indeed the Midi is on the bucket list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehtor View Post
Hi Hawkeye!

We are thrilled to know if you finally did it. Knowing the risks we are evaluating on doing it with a Bavaria 49 (1.8 m. draft). Cheers!
Was your draft calculated in seawater? if so then you will be deeper in fresh water.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 02:36   #47

Boat: Gib'Sea 402

Yeah the canals are silting up and getting shallower year on year. It's some time since we went through with 1.5m draft and struggled with frequent grounding. Weed was also a problem and we had to have the boat lifted out temporarily at St Jean de Losne to clear the firmly blocked raw water intake.
hoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 05:08   #48

Boat: Bavaria 44

Risking on stretching this topic too much, I was wondering if could be technical (and economical) feasible to unbolt the keel and replace it with a cheap and short fiberglass fin for steering purposes. Same with the rudder.

Am I being too stuborn here?
Rehtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 05:25   #49

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Risking on stretching this topic too much, I was wondering if could be technical (and economical) feasible to unbolt the keel and replace it with a cheap and short fiberglass fin for steering purposes. Same with the rudder.

Am I being too stuborn here?
You don't actually need the keel at all:

https://www.yachtingmonthly.com/spec...t-a-keel-30486
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 05:32   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
You don't actually need the keel at all:

https://www.yachtingmonthly.com/spec...t-a-keel-30486
I was pretty sure a sailboat without a ballast keel could navigate a protected canal. This one I did not imagine.

Kudos to the Jeanneau design...
Old 10-09-2020, 07:33   #51

Quote:
I was pretty sure a sailboat without a ballast keel could navigate a protected canal. This one I did not imagine.

Kudos to the Jeanneau design...
You may or may not be OK without the keel as long as it's the very calm waters of the canals. Depends on the weight distribution and hull shape...but sailboats typically rely on the keel for primary stability.

When you get on the bigger rivers though, wakes from passing barges could cause a lot of issue. I certainly wouldn't count on it staying upright.

How would you propose transporting the keel to your destination?
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 07:40   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
You may or may not be OK without the keel as long as it's the very calm waters of the canals. Depends on the weight distribution and hull shape...but sailboats typically rely on the keel for primary stability.

When you get on the bigger rivers though, wakes from passing barges could cause a lot of issue. I certainly wouldn't count on it staying upright.

How would you propose transporting the keel to your destination?
Good points here. I would assume that a hull without a mast, with the engine down, etc. could be able to navigate with the waves of barges if a SO 37 could navigate the Med with the mast up and no keel.

I would assume that sending the keel (and the rudder) by truck to the destination would be the best option.
Old 10-09-2020, 07:47   #53

Quote:
Good points here. I would assume that a hull without a mast, with the engine down, etc. could be able to navigate with the waves of barges if a SO 37 could navigate the Med with the mast up and no keel.

I would assume that sending the keel (and the rudder) by truck to the destination would be the best option.
I'm betting there is more to the story of that other boat and I certainly wouldn't count on any monohull staying upright.

I haven't been on the big rivers in Europe but going down the Mississippi, we've had wakes from barges that washed over the cabin top they were so big. Often in narrow areas, you can't move far away to let the wake dissipate.

So what's the cost of shipping the keel by truck? I'm betting it's in the thousands of euro range. Also, if you pull the ruder, how will you steer in the canals?
Old 10-09-2020, 08:01   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
I'm betting there is more to the story of that other boat and I certainly wouldn't count on any monohull staying upright.

I haven't been on the big rivers in Europe but going down the Mississippi, we've had wakes from barges that washed over the cabin top they were so big. Often in narrow areas, you can't move far away to let the wake dissipate.

So what's the cost of shipping the keel by truck? I'm betting it's in the thousands of euro range. Also, if you pull the ruder, how will you steer in the canals?
If we were to navigate the big rivers of Europe, I wouldn't unbolt the keel either, that is for sure. We are talking the small French canals and rivers where there are very few big vessels.

Yes, I believe it could be couple of thousands EUR, but if you have a big boat and you want to navigate the canals, I would presume that is cheaper than changing the boat.

If unbolting the keel and rudder, both should be replaced for some simple fiberglass fin and rudder, sufficient for a practical steering. No need to be fancy in this solution in my opinion.
Old 10-09-2020, 08:24   #55

Quote:
If we were to navigate the big rivers of Europe, I wouldn't unbolt the keel either, that is for sure. We are talking the small French canals and rivers where there are very few big vessels.

Yes, I believe it could be couple of thousands EUR, but if you have a big boat and you want to navigate the canals, I would presume that is cheaper than changing the boat.

If unbolting the keel and rudder, both should be replaced for some simple fiberglass fin and rudder, sufficient for a practical steering. No need to be fancy in this solution in my opinion.
If you are going to the Med, how do you propose to avoid the big rivers? Only inland routes I'm aware of include either the Danube or the Rhone.

A fiberglass fin is optional but a fully functional rudder is important. You will be frequently maneuvering in close quarters, often with cross currents and other complications at locks. In fact far more than if you are anchored out in open waters.

Tags
canal, enc, grass