Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2016, 16:00   #16

Boat: Sigma 41
Re: Fort Myers to Fort Lauderdale via Marathon or Key West?

We brought our Sigma 41 from Ft Meyers stopping at Little Shark River for the night and then on to Channel 5 where we turned north in the ICW as the wind was 20 plus out of the NE which would have been on the nose and rough in Hawks Channel. I would not sail or motor at night due to the crab pots. You can carry your draft all the way to Miami in the ICVW and then hope the wind settles down to pop back outside at Miami or continue on to FLL.
dneve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 16:06   #17

Boat: Cornado 25

Assume you are talking the "Yacht Channel" across the back country from Flamingo to Channel Key then west a few miles to Moser and outside. Plenty of draft but watch your marks. Re: channel 5 suggestion above. Brought a 5 foot draft down the Gulf side a couple months ago and very very thin water from Rams Horn Cut to Cowpens. No way with 6'...

Still room on the moorings and anchorages here in Boot Key... But wind has been running steady out of the ENE since last Sunday. Small Craft Advisory expected at least thru Thur then 15 ENE thru the weekend? Lumpy on the outside. Would certainly plan possible several day layup in Marathon.

Drop us a PM if you do... Stand you for a beer at the City Marina Tiki Hut

Good luck and be safe.
Old 25-10-2016, 16:12   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

If you haven't been.... and you have the time, KW is a good stopping place.... I think this weekend the Parrotheads are in town. Next is Fantasy Fest....
Old 25-10-2016, 16:13   #19

If you head for Old Spanish Channel just North of big Pine Key you will miss most crab pots and the 10 miles of zig zagging thru weed-then pararrel 7 mile to channel thru bridge
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2016, 01:48   #20

Boat: Island Packet 32

I would wait out the weather in Marathon. Boot Key Harbor is place everyone should experience. You can take a mooring ball for about $10 a day. There are 200 cruising boats from all over the world there, converging on the morning radio schedule. Everybody is dinghying around. Everything you need is within dinghy putting distance or a brief walk. I always find it a hard place to leave.
CaptRory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2016, 04:17   #21

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
If you head for Old Spanish Channel just North of big Pine Key you will miss most crab pots and the 10 miles of zig zagging thru weed-then pararrel 7 mile to channel thru bridge
Been there done that.....no sailing in that channel. Stay on course for Bullard Bank, much better IMO.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2016, 04:19   #22

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRory View Post
I would wait out the weather in Marathon. Boot Key Harbor is place everyone should experience. You can take a mooring ball for about $10 a day. There are 200 cruising boats from all over the world there, converging on the morning radio schedule. Everybody is dinghying around. Everything you need is within dinghy putting distance or a brief walk. I always find it a hard place to leave.
Mooring balls have been $22/day for several years. I do agree that it's a very cruiser friendly place and worth the stop.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2016, 13:23   #23

Boat: Catalina 470

Keeping a close eye on the weather! The sail from Fort Myers to the Moser Channel should be pretty nice, but once I make the turn to the east after the bridge things may get sloppy. Boot Key Harbor may be a good backup plan...

-David
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2016, 13:26   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt-couillon View Post
Assume you are talking the "Yacht Channel" across the back country from Flamingo to Channel Key then west a few miles to Moser and outside. Plenty of draft but watch your marks. Re: channel 5 suggestion above. Brought a 5 foot draft down the Gulf side a couple months ago and very very thin water from Rams Horn Cut to Cowpens. No way with 6'...

Still room on the moorings and anchorages here in Boot Key... But wind has been running steady out of the ENE since last Sunday. Small Craft Advisory expected at least thru Thur then 15 ENE thru the weekend? Lumpy on the outside. Would certainly plan possible several day layup in Marathon.

Drop us a PM if you do... Stand you for a beer at the City Marina Tiki Hut

Good luck and be safe.
I may just take you up on that beer! I'll PM you with my info...

-David
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Old 26-10-2016, 13:35   #25

Boat: 1988 Wilbur 34

Keeping a close eye on the weather! The sail from Fort Myers to the Moser Channel should be pretty nice, but once I make the turn to the east after the bridge things may get sloppy. Boot Key Harbor may be a good backup plan...

Always good to have a backup plan.
Seighlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2016, 16:49   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seighlor View Post

Always good to have a backup plan.

Drinking beer and eating stone crabs in Marathon is sounding better and better...

-David

Tags
fort lauderdale, fort myers, key west