Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2012, 15:59   #16

Re: Florida Keys to Exuma's

Let's see... in a 47 foot sailboat, mostly motoring, we left Biscayne bay about 1 am, bypassed Bimini and headed for the banks via NORTH rock. (edited) Just got thru the channel (getting off the banks) at dark... probably 9pm when we got to Chub. That would be about 20 hours... sound about right?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 16:14   #17

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Let's see... in a 47 foot sailboat, mostly motoring, we left Biscayne bay about 1 am, bypassed Bimini and headed for the banks via Riding rock. Just got thru the channel (getting off the banks) at dark... probably 9pm when we got to Chub. That would be about 20 hours... sound about right?
If you left from Biscayne Bay it's highly unlikely that you took the South Riding Rock entrance onto the Bank. You probably took North Rock (north of Bimini) onto the Bank. I usually take about 26 to 30 hours, Biscayne Bay to Nassau. That's if the weather cooperates. Start at first light (in winter this is about 0700 or so) get onto the Bank at dusk or a bit earlier if the Stream isn't too bad, get to NW Channel light about three in the morning and into Nassau early afternoon. Doing about 6 knots most of the way.
Old 17-09-2012, 16:14   #18

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

Two weeks is not enough. I've waited that long for a good weather window to cross the Gulf Stream. Unless you are a very fast boat, the usual route is the Keys to Bimini (clear in here), then on to Chubb/Berries, to Nassau, to the Allens or Normans Cay etc. If you clear in at Bimini, you only have to pay for the cruising permit.
Old 17-09-2012, 16:15   #19

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave852 View Post
Vasco is right, you will loose to much time checking in at Bimini. We leave Islamorada at first light, pass S riding rock just after lunch then anchor at Chubb by 11pm. Then on to Nassau the next morning. Depending on your boat your timing may be different, and you could go straight through with an overnight. But Nassau is the most efficient place to check in. Now as far as arranging flights to coincide with weather windows... Pay more for the ticket and buy at the last minute in and out of Nassau. Then do just the northern Exumas. Or if you really want to save time, keep going around the west end of Nassau and check in at Stainel Cay with the girls joining you there. That could be two nights depending on boat speed.
Thanks Dave, this is exactly the route that I was thinking of taking. Then probably meeting the girls in Nassau. We would then sail for 10 days or so down the exumas then head back to Nassau to drop the girls off.

Would you recomend sailing back to Nassau, or just sailing south and send them back from say Georgetown? Then sail from Georgetown back to the Keys. If we did sail back from Georgetown what route would you recomend?
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 16:23   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
If you left from Biscayne Bay it's highly unlikely that you took the South Riding Rock entrance onto the Bank. You probably took North Rock (north of Bimini) onto the Bank. I usually take about 26 to 30 hours, Biscayne Bay to Nassau. That's if the weather cooperates. Start at first light (in winter this is about 0700 or so) get onto the Bank at dusk or a bit earlier if the Stream isn't too bad, get to NW Channel light about three in the morning and into Nassau early afternoon. Doing about 6 knots most of the way.
Whoops, right you are.... dont have a chart handy...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 14:03   #21

Boat: Lagoon 40

Rocketman
Did you make the trip? Just curious on your route. I was researching the route from Exumas to the Keys. I am currently on the Abacos but will be headed south to the Exumas in a week or so, and reluctantly starting to think of the route back to the Keys. Any suggestions appreciated.

Neil
sv Midnight Sun II
Home
Midnight Sun II
Ndavies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exumas, florida