Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2019, 09:12   #1

Question Florida Keys (Marathon) to Bonaire

I was hoping for some comments and advice on a pending trip to Bonaire.
Overview: 41' Freeport Islander ketch, 4 people - 2 boat owners moving to Bonaire (some sailing experience), a captain with years sailing the Gulf and Keys, a mate with modest sailing experiences. Time is not a major factor, but this is more a boat delivery than a pleasure trip. We're planning on leaving the beginning of March.

We are currently looking at 3 options:
1. Up the Keys, across to Bimini, Chub Cay, New Providence, then down the Exumas, Great Inagua, wait on weather, Windward Pass, around Haiti, stop at Salinas DR, wait for a weather window, then Bonaire. In the Exumas we'd sail or motor 8 -10 hours and stop for the night.

2. Instead of the Exuams we'd sail down the Tongue of the Ocean planning on 24 hour sailing to the Raggeds, then direct to Great Inagua. The rest would be the same.

3. Leave Marathon and sail directly to Great Inagua staying east of the Old Bahama Channel - it would be 4 - 5 days 24 hour sailing.

I'd be interested in any comments or suggestions.
Ronin51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2022, 13:26   #2

Boat: Morgan 462
Re: Florida Keys (Marathon) to Bonaire

I wish someone would have commented on the last option as I'd like to know the logistics....
Linwood4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bonaire, florida, florida keys