Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2016, 18:49   #16

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Re: Fishfinder for dinghy

I finished the installation this afternoon and did a sea trial. All works well. I need to pick up an SD chip to begin actual bottom recordings, and I have to complete my registering with Insight Genesis. I just learned about openseamaps.org from your posting, but since I am still in the early stage of learning, I won't be posting any maps for a bit until I am more proficient. This whole concept of map making for shared use is terrific.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 23:40   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
I finished the installation this afternoon and did a sea trial. All works well. I need to pick up an SD chip to begin actual bottom recordings, and I have to complete my registering with Insight Genesis. I just learned about openseamaps.org from your posting, but since I am still in the early stage of learning, I won't be posting any maps for a bit until I am more proficient. This whole concept of map making for shared use is terrific.
I totally agree! If the equipment is compatible, uploading should be easy. And since you are the owner of the soundings, you can upload multiple places.

I am considering to upload to both Navionics as well as Openseamap.

In Hong Kong, it is of particular interest. The local marine department has decided that no third party may use the data. All paper and electronic charts can only be from them. That is the only place in the world, but for Hong Kong, I am not so surprised: Many departments are working in a very backwards way:

Electric bikes of any kind are not allowed (3 months in jail first offence)
Tesla Model S: No third row seats, web browser and it took 6 months to get the auto pilot functions "approved" (everywhere else it is).

So I just say forget it, I am not paying 200 USD a year for chart services, for those few trips I do. I will stick to my 10 year old charts, and supply it with either Navionics, OpenSeaMap.org - or both.

A lot of work must be done, but since there are boats sailing all over the place, it's just a matter of logging when you are sailing anyway. I can't wait to map out our marina, and the surroundings. The data will be much more detailed than official sources.
DITB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2016, 21:40   #18

I was planning to use the Navionics Sonarcharts feature to make my dink a pilot boat. The Hummingbird 4 Pro and 5 Pro both have the requisite GPS+SONAR+WiFi.

I don't plan to replace my charts and MFP with an Android tablet that has charts I just made but I do plan to use an Android tablet (with charts I just made) to scout for SCUBA spots and anchorages and passages for the sailboat.

Dragonfly 4 PRO and 5 PRO
Sonar Charts
SonarCharts Live
SV_Gisela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 02:33   #19

Aside the Garmin, I would suggest you try the Lowrance 7 TI for boats (especiall small ones)
Angler105 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, fish, fishfinder