Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2019, 14:51   #16

Boat: olsen / ericson 34
Re: Does Navionics work in Tahiti?

Navigating, Tahiti :

Riatea , Taha'a, Bora Bora, and Huahine. ( 4 separate two week bare boat sailing
vacations, monohulls from 35 up to 51 footers . ) . No GPS, No Chartploter, or Navionics or auto pilot )

It was . D.R.'S. Estimated positions, and fixes.

We used coastal piloting, and navigation, paper charts, cruising guide, parallel rules. dividers, knot meter and time piece, hand bearing compass, depth sounder, etc. Actually combined everything that we had available to us.

We studied the very, very different navigational aids, and had bow watches, and
eyeball navigation. Those NAVAIDS were very critical to keep us off the reefs or shallows.

Using all of the above, we had great and wonderful Tahiti sailing vacations.
Narry a problem.

What a marvelous and beautiful and special cruising ground.
You are going to be sailing in paradise.

Manuia

Denny and Erica
Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 15:01   #17

Boat: Nordhavn 72

We used Navionics throughout French Polynesia and found it reliable outside the atolls. Once inside, eyeball nav (sun high and behind you) and paying attention to markers is essential. It is often helpful to send someone up the mast to the first spreaders to look out for bommies.
MV Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 19:09   #18

Had to look that one up! Thanks for info
Knuckledragger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 08:57   #19

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

Regarding steaming while chartering......Don't worry about what others do. Have a fun vacation. Since you only have a finite amount of time there, and you have to make the passes with available sun light, it will be necessary for you to steam, especially going upwind. It was my experience that even the professional captains run the engine constantly to make time and get to the next anchorage as quickly as possible.

You also have to account for rain, and it rains there, especially in Raiatea. This means reduced visibility going through the pass and you'll need the engine. There are only two passes I was able to take sailing. The rest I used the engine. The wind was not favorable for tacking through on the charter cat, either. Don't worry about it.... sometimes you just have to use the iron genny. Besides, you will be running the engine or generator at least two hours per day to charge batteries, so no harm in utilizing the extra push.

Have fun!!!
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 21:05   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckledragger1 View Post
Wow, great info! Ok, this is my first sailing trip ever in my life but I am an experienced motor yachtsmen having taking my Meridian from Canada to Ensenada. I wonder how many people in a 48í cat never actually raise the sails on these types of charters? My only training to date has been a course specific 2 day class in a smaller cat. I fully intend to experience sailing but would like to know if motoring only is a legitimate option? Ok begin the public flogging now.

Motor whenever you want, and for sure when raising your anchor/dropping the mooring, proceeding through narrow passages or reef passes when the wind doesnít suit, and when dropping anchor/picking up a mooring. For any longer passage, such as between Tahaía and Bora Bora, if the wind is decent and favourable in direction youíll probably get bored motoring.

The baby step is to unfurl the genoa only. Let go the furling line, pull in the sheet, put the motors in neutral. Youíre sailing! If all good, turn off the motors and enjoy the peace. You donít need anything else, especially if the wind is behind the beam.

If the wind is going to be forward of the beam you can go full sailor and hoist the mainsail as well as unfurl the genoa. Before unfurling the genoa! Motor slowly into the wind, ease the mainsheets (keep a turn or two on the winches) and vang if present and pull on the main halyard to raise the mainsail. If the wind is higher (there will be a reefing chart with the wind speeds for each reef) feel free to put a reef or two in. Once up, handle the mainsheets until youíre on course. Then unfurl the genoa.

Feel free to keep an engine or two running in neutral if that gives you comfort, especially when transiting passes or sailing within the lagoons.

Regarding navigation, in the right conditions with bright sun between 10am and 3pm you only need to use eyes and polarised glasses to navigate. Donít worry about bringing your own gear unless youíve already got Navionics or iSailor or whatever already with the correct charts. The chart plotter on the boat will have the local chart. Sunsail asked if we wanted paper charts as well and were surprised when I said yes. Only used them to show everyone on the boat where we were and where we were going next.

You donít need to bother with pilotage - either youíre eye-balling it with the chartplotter showing where you are, or itís raining or not between 10am-3pm so youíre anchored/moored somewhere and enjoying the place.

Relax and enjoy, the area is easy to sail. Hardly any tides, wide passes, excellent navigation aids, generally steady wind, dangers very obvious during the middle of the day.
fxykty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 10:41   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Motor whenever you want, and for sure when raising your anchor/dropping the mooring, proceeding through narrow passages or reef passes when the wind doesnít suit, and when dropping anchor/picking up a mooring. For any longer passage, such as between Tahaía and Bora Bora, if the wind is decent and favourable in direction youíll probably get bored motoring.

The baby step is to unfurl the genoa only. Let go the furling line, pull in the sheet, put the motors in neutral. Youíre sailing! If all good, turn off the motors and enjoy the peace. You donít need anything else, especially if the wind is behind the beam.

If the wind is going to be forward of the beam you can go full sailor and hoist the mainsail as well as unfurl the genoa. Before unfurling the genoa! Motor slowly into the wind, ease the mainsheets (keep a turn or two on the winches) and vang if present and pull on the main halyard to raise the mainsail. If the wind is higher (there will be a reefing chart with the wind speeds for each reef) feel free to put a reef or two in. Once up, handle the mainsheets until youíre on course. Then unfurl the genoa.

Feel free to keep an engine or two running in neutral if that gives you comfort, especially when transiting passes or sailing within the lagoons.

Regarding navigation, in the right conditions with bright sun between 10am and 3pm you only need to use eyes and polarised glasses to navigate. Donít worry about bringing your own gear unless youíve already got Navionics or iSailor or whatever already with the correct charts. The chart plotter on the boat will have the local chart. Sunsail asked if we wanted paper charts as well and were surprised when I said yes. Only used them to show everyone on the boat where we were and where we were going next.

You donít need to bother with pilotage - either youíre eye-balling it with the chartplotter showing where you are, or itís raining or not between 10am-3pm so youíre anchored/moored somewhere and enjoying the place.

Relax and enjoy, the area is easy to sail. Hardly any tides, wide passes, excellent navigation aids, generally steady wind, dangers very obvious during the middle of the day.
This is incredibly helpful! As where all the responses!!
Knuckledragger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 22:59   #22

[IMG][/IMG]
Quote:
Originally Posted by requiem View Post
GPS generally works fine everywhere in the world (unless you regularly hang out with Putin).

What makes certain areas problematic is that the charts might not be not referenced to correct lat/lon values. A possible way to check for this is to compare the values from your charts to what you can derive from satellite imagery (e.g. using Caltopo) and note any significant discrepancies for further investigation.
Attached is example of Navionics in Raivavae (Australs), with the satellite image superimposed on the chart, it is out by approx 0.2NM, the whole island is offset by approx. this amount.
Other locations in FP were spot on.
Mobile data in Raivavae isn't fast enough for you to get satellite imagery working on Navionics, so you need to check it out before you go there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Raivavae.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	186.0 KB
ID:	191659  
martinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 14:01   #23

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150 (La Paz), Beneteau First 35s5 (Vancouver)

Two things:

1. we are using Navionics charts on an iPad using iNavX. Chart accuracy in the Marquesas and Tahiti has been good.
2. Somebody pointed out the SoggyPaws website. This site is invaluable for sailing advice in the South Pacific - download their site specific compendia while you have a good connection. Internet speeds in Papeete are not impressive.
Old 12-09-2019, 12:15   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinz View Post
[IMG][/IMG]

Attached is example of Navionics in Raivavae (Australs), with the satellite image superimposed on the chart, it is out by approx 0.2NM, the whole island is offset by approx. this amount.
Other locations in FP were spot on.
Mobile data in Raivavae isn't fast enough for you to get satellite imagery working on Navionics, so you need to check it out before you go there.
After posting this information on CF, I sent the same information to the Navionics Help Desk, they have since updated the location as per attached screen shot.

+1 for Navionics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Raivavae_2019.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	218.5 KB
ID:	199726  
martinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2019, 22:54   #25

Boat: Allied 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eder View Post
Everyone motor sails a lot of the time in the Leewards , its is pretty much upwind or downwind most of the time.

One thing I noticed is charter boats are not laying enough scope out...dragging boats at the Fare anchorage is pretty much a sport at times. Be ready for a calm day in the anchorage to blow 40 knots at 2am.

I know this is an old post but after doing a 2 week charter in FP I understand why many charter boats drag. The chain is nor marked! We brought a tape measure and zip ties. Problem solved.

We mentioned we did this when we returned the charter cat and the company was astounded.

You did what? WTF.... why would you do that. Bang head here!!!
Old 27-09-2019, 15:33   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensolomon View Post
Just came back from Tahiti. eyeball navigation is the most important. Do not rely on electronic charts. I will say it again... Do not rely on electronic charts. Use paper charts for your large crossings, and when you're inside the reef, follow the markers. Everything is well marked. Also, when approaching a pass from the ocean you're going to want to have eyes up and line up your markers. I use an iPad with isailor everywhere I sale. I did not use my iPad in French Polynesia. I was too worried about the reefs which were clearly visible with eyes up. for some of the trickier passes, there are range markers that you will line up to shoot the pass.

Enjoy your trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihuedooley77 View Post
Navigating, Tahiti :

Riatea , Taha'a, Bora Bora, and Huahine. ( 4 separate two week bare boat sailing
vacations, monohulls from 35 up to 51 footers . ) . No GPS, No Chartploter, or Navionics or auto pilot )

It was . D.R.'S. Estimated positions, and fixes.

We used coastal piloting, and navigation, paper charts, cruising guide, parallel rules. dividers, knot meter and time piece, hand bearing compass, depth sounder, etc. Actually combined everything that we had available to us.

We studied the very, very different navigational aids, and had bow watches, and
eyeball navigation. Those NAVAIDS were very critical to keep us off the reefs or shallows.

Using all of the above, we had great and wonderful Tahiti sailing vacations.
Narry a problem.

What a marvelous and beautiful and special cruising ground.
You are going to be sailing in paradise.

Manuia

Denny and Erica

Quote:
Originally Posted by MV Alchemy View Post
We used Navionics throughout French Polynesia and found it reliable outside the atolls. Once inside, eyeball nav (sun high and behind you) and paying attention to markers is essential. It is often helpful to send someone up the mast to the first spreaders to look out for bommies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon1150 View Post
Two things:

1. we are using Navionics charts on an iPad using iNavX. Chart accuracy in the Marquesas and Tahiti has been good.
2. Somebody pointed out the SoggyPaws website. This site is invaluable for sailing advice in the South Pacific - download their site specific compendia while you have a good connection. Internet speeds in Papeete are not impressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chouliha View Post
I know this is an old post but after doing a 2 week charter in FP I understand why many charter boats drag. The chain is nor marked! We brought a tape measure and zip ties. Problem solved.

We mentioned we did this when we returned the charter cat and the company was astounded.

You did what? WTF.... why would you do that. Bang head here!!!
Great stuff, everyone! Thank you!
magentawave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 15:41   #27

Quote:
Knuckledragger1;2882730

I fully intend to experience sailing but would like to know if motoring only is a legitimate option? Ok begin the public flogging now.

Ohhhhhh...THIS should give you some interesting reading if you haven't left yet.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-a-148849.html

Tags
navionics, tahiti