Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: What is your primary nav station?
The nav table, dummy! 68 61.82%
The saloon table. 17 15.45%
The cockpit. 27 24.55%
Other 4 3.64%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2008, 15:18   #46

I do my offshore navigating on paper charts and I do the work either sitting on the cabin sole, or in one of the seats, with a 30 x 30 piece of varnished plywood in my lap. That's my table.

But then my boat is a lot smaller than most of yours.

When I do have the GPS hooked up to the laptop and SeaClear is doin' its thing, the computer is sitting on the aft end of the v-berth, held in place with a bungee cord. I can see it from the companionway, though I can't see any details. It's safe, warm and dry, there. However, to actually LOOK at it and see anything specific, I have to pop below for 15 seconds and let the autopilot drive.
Alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2008, 02:15   #47
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
[quote=Alan H;172743]I do my offshore navigating on paper charts and I do the work either sitting on the cabin sole, or in one of the seats, with a 30 x 30 piece of varnished plywood in my lap. That's my table.

But then my boat is a lot smaller than most of yours.

quote]
Alan,
I am curious, what size boat do you have. I ask because the "nav table" on my 31 ft is a stand up affair and I am thinking of doing away with it altogether and just sit in the saloon seats. There is really no other space to have a sit down affair unlike a previous 28 ft Wanderer which had a superb sit down nav section as part of the quater berth.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2008, 13:32   #48

Boat: beneteau,first 375 serenity
nav station or no nav station

my 38 ft beneteau has a good nav station but small.i use it to write cards,eat when i am alone or maybe plan my next leg.i wish the beneteau people had designed a larger head which is just aft of the nav station because when i am sailing alone,i cant run up and down to check things .most of my sailing instruments ,charts and radios are in the cockpit.i dont like leaving the helm area for too long when i am under way. a larger head would be nicer when my lady friend is onboard.anyway,just another thought. mark on serenity
serenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2008, 14:20   #49

Chart table...

On Guenevere, our Nor'Sea 27 we have a small chart table that folds out to full size.

I am typeing this note on our table folded in (like in the photo) with it folded out I handle most charts, some folded. I also use a Yeoman chart plotter that can sit on the table or move out to the cockpit. I sit facing the slanted table and it works for me.

Greg
Delezynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2008, 17:18   #50

Boat: Panda/Baba 40
Is that a standing nav station (as in, you stand to use it, no seat)?
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2008, 17:29   #51

T34,

No, The green cushion you see to the left (forward) is the backrest. The seat is just below out of view. When we make up the V birth, that same backrest cushion drops down to be the head of it. That is, that cushion is where our head and shoulders rest. You can see the flip top (shown closed) and the small arm that extends to support the flip out.

Just forward of the nav station you can JUST see the left side of the fireplace (NOT used down here in the heat.

Greg
Old 27-08-2008, 17:43   #52

T34,

Forgot to say that some of the newer Nor'Sea (new layout below) do have a standing chart table, on the port side just forward of the head. Ours is on the Stbd. side just aft of the V birth.

Greg
Old 27-08-2008, 18:41   #53

Boat: 44 footer
I've been trying to squeeze a full size chart table into my Triton.

Looks like most places will require sitting on the settee sideways facing forward or aft. Anyone have a table setup like this?

(Figure it'd be a great way to end up with a muscle imbalance somewhere.... )

That being said: I haven't sailed or powered a boat with a dedicated nav station. So far everything I've done has been at the helm or in the cockpit, utilizing chart kits of one form or another as I've been limited to coastal stuff.

Handy when you need to take a bearing, but not so good when the wind is blowing, or if the boat is wet...
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2008, 19:41   #54

Boat: Lightwave 45, sold nov 2020.Previous self built Roberts 36
Hi on my Roberts 36 ketch the table was large enough to work on a full size chart folded in half, with storage under for charts folded length ways in quarter. I basically copied tyhe design from a Duncanson 34 (great seaworthy and ergonomic boat) It was one of my favourite and most comfortable spots on teh boat with swivel chairm great table, I would read, eat, even do some navigation there!!
Glenn C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2008, 00:31   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Any suggestions as I build my nav. station...

I'm just about to start building the nav. station on Boracay (44' steel Roberts Off Shore aft cockpit cutter).
The space is 1320 along the port side by about 750 deep (that's 4'3" by 2'6") right next to the switch board. The settee/dinette is on the other side and the passage to the forward cabin runs between the two.
Some questions:-
1) Is it worthwhile to put in one of those nice swivel chairs they sell at chandlers?
2) Should I make the top lift up so I can store charts inside?
3) Is it worth making special storage for all those nav. bits or just go for general storage?
4) Should I put all the SSB/VHF/CB/cell/AIS/radar/TV/FM-AM radio etc.there or are these better located somewhere else?
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2008, 18:07   #56

Boat: Lightwave 45, sold nov 2020.Previous self built Roberts 36
Well I found the swivel chair really comfortable, both at sea and at anchor. The top of my chart table opened and had a full piano hinge, so it was very strong, and used to store nav stuff. All sorts of other stuff found ist way in there as well. I stored my paper charts lengthways in the vertical frame work of the table, do not know the technical term. Had several shelves in there so could store charts by region etc. Had all the electronics convenient at the chart table, with some repeaters in the cockpit. No radar fitted, so cant comment on best spot for this. My advice would be to check out as many configurations as possible and imagine useability at different angles of heel. Glenn C
Glenn C is offline   Reply With Quote