Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2021, 09:00   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39
Re: Do You Use Sound Signals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cllewellyn View Post
A very obnoxious commercial tourist operator here in Beaufort, NC insists on blasting his horn three times informing the world that he is preparing to leave the dock and then another one that he is underway. Usually there is no boat traffic around, this is just his way of saying to tourists and potential clients that "we are going out and you are not, so come next time." But it really disturbs our peaceful little town. Five or six times a day!

Most weekend boaters here have no idea what any of the horn signals mean. I use mine sparingly to alert the other traffic when there is a potential issue. It is like an automobile horn. In some cities people drive with their horn, and in others they don't.
I expect that obnoxious tourist operator is actually following the rules and would face some serious liability if he did not sound those signals and then collided with someone.
JoeRobertJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2021, 09:01   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
They are cheap, it's more about the potential to run out and need to go get more refills. The aiming thing is a very good point though. It definitely doesn't hurt to keep the canned horns around because of that, I just don't like them as an only horn like so many sailors do.

In my case, my fixed mount horns are notably louder than a canned horn and they're a pretty distinct sounding 3 tone, so even for a jetski in front of me, 5 short on the boat horn gets their attention very quickly. Plus, I made the mistake of using a canned horn from the helm once... Only once. Unless I lean over the side with it, too much of the sound reflects off the windshields and blasts my ears instead of the intended target.
We have one that you blow thru...so no worries about running out so long as you have breath.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2021, 09:03   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
We have one that you blow thru...so no worries about running out so long as you have breath.
Do you find that is reasonably loud enough? I am tempted to switch when my air can runs out.
JoeRobertJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2021, 09:15   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRobertJr View Post
Do you find that is reasonably loud enough? I am tempted to switch when my air can runs out.
Never got a dB meter out but it seemed pretty darn loud without taking any extreme effort to blow thru it.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2021, 09:24   #35

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
A very obnoxious commercial tourist operator here in Beaufort, NC insists on blasting his horn three times informing the world that he is preparing to leave the dock and then another one that he is underway. Usually there is no boat traffic around, this is just his way of saying to tourists and potential clients that "we are going out and you are not, so come next time." But it really disturbs our peaceful little town. Five or six times a day!

Most weekend boaters here have no idea what any of the horn signals mean. I use mine sparingly to alert the other traffic when there is a potential issue. It is like an automobile horn. In some cities people drive with their horn, and in others they don't.
It sounds like you have no idea what his horn signals mean either.

Three short blasts mean "I am operating astern propulsion.

One long blast means "I am leaving the dock" (Inland rules only).

Now I have seen and heard tour boats give three blasts, then leave the dock by going ahead--those signals were for the tourists.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2021, 14:43   #36

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

I don't recall ever using sound signals on my boat. Few recreational boaters will understand what I intend by sounding a specific number of blasts in a passing situation, and a ship will never hear me.

In close quarters with other small craft, if a close call is developing, I wouldn't have time to grab a horn and make blasts while simultaneously steering to avoid collision. I simply slow down if necessary, turn the boat clearly to one direction or the other according to the rules, to show my intent.

Leaving a dock with restricted visibility and in the marina, I simply proceed at a pace such that I can stop quickly if necessary. I do go slower than the average, and dislike unnecessary honking.

For the big guys, I listen and understand what they are blasting, and that's all I need from sound. Sometimes I am annoyed by a tug or ship passing close by without signaling me by sound. I can hear them - they could never hear me.

On the ocean I have been hailed on CH16, and have hailed ships on CH16 or even DSC, and a short conversation is much better.

In dense fog, before we had radar on our boat and AIS on nearly all boats who had any business being out there, that was when sound signals were all we had. I remember those days and it was scary indeed. Better alternatives exist now.

Bit of nostalgia: There's an old Steve Miller Band track that begins with the several fog horns that were blasting from the Golden Gate Bridge and vicinty (Alcatraz, Mile Rock, Pt. Diablo and the three on the bridge itself. Listening to that always gave me goosebumps. They are mostly silent today - who needs 'em?
Old 20-08-2021, 14:56   #37

Boat: Mirage 35

Just recalled one occasion when I used them: on the Canal du Midi in windy conditions, wanting to pass a larger boat and wanting to indicate my intention. He seemed surprised to hear them from a rental boat on the canal, but understood and cooperated.
Old 20-08-2021, 16:18   #38

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

Only during fog and then when I see them on radar and they are close, OR I can hear them but do not see them on Radar. If you are to close you will hear me and it won’t be a horn.
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2021, 09:18   #39

I try to use sound signals as much as possible. HOWEVER...

Many marinas have residents living near or on the marina. I try not to cause relation problems with them by blasting my sound signal at 6am when there are no other boats in motion around me anyway. Marinas have a tough enough public relations problem without me makling that aspect of their operations more difficult.

Oh, side note - yes I fly dayshapes too, though I've not seen anyone else in my area flying them.
CyKlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2021, 11:17   #40

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
. . . . On the to do list - will be hooking the VHF up to a loudhailer to make use of the signal function. With that I'll make sound signals more freely.

I think that's a great idea - I could yell at pesky kayakers. I would play a recording of a low frequency horn like the ones on really big ships, with lots of reverb to make it sound immense. Play that at max volume, everyone will pay attention!
Old 27-08-2021, 11:42   #41

Boat: Bavaria 36'

I teach VHF in the UK and one of the points we have to make is not to use the radio to change the IRPCS. I have a lesson ‘How to Arrange a Collision Using Your Radio’. It is so common that the license issuing authority requires it to be taught.
Bill_Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2021, 11:48   #42

Boat: Columbia 36

Quote:
One prolonged blast when leaving the berth is terrified under the Inland Rules. Three shirt means "I am operating astern propulsion" do he must be backing out of the slip. There's a car very here that does the same thing twice a day. That's actually not the intended use for three short. It's meant to be used in a crossing situation to indicate you're backing down to avoid a collision so not really proper to use it in this context. In the case of the ferry here, he's backing across the busiest marina entrance in the harbor so probably the more noise he makes the better.

One of the research vessels I used to run was berthed right next to the local Cost Guard station (Grand Haven, MI) and the CG actually complained about me blowing one prolonged when getting underway. Said they couldn't hear the phone and radio. Didn't seem to matter that it was thier rule making me do it. I switched to using the loud hailer with the volume turned to about half, they were happier with that.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2021, 12:45   #43

Boat: 1984 Passport 42 pilothouse cutter

I spent a decent amount of time in the Navy in San Diego onboard small boats. out of 5 commands i was on the water in San Diego Bay or just off the coast for significant periods of time.

day shapes - tankers, car carriers, naval ships, some smaller commercial traffic. out of 15 years i seen one maybe 2 sailboats with a cone in the rigging. small power boats, commercial fishing fleet i never seen anyone using them. of course the commercial fisheries go farther out so maybe they did there.

Sound signals. once in 15 years have i heard someone give me a passing signal. in fact i was so surprised i had to go look up which one it was because they are so rare., took me several minutes to compute that it was a sound signal. almost like the existential issue of seeing the real Santa.

fog signals - maybe once or twice. i used them religiously at one job because i was cruising around in a work boat by myself and if the marine layer rolled in.... for military we are considered the experts legally so if something happens it will be spun to point the blame your way regardless of what happened. its in our best interest to use them.

no one else on the water even know what they mean. once i was just off the coast of Coronado after inspecting a mooring buoy, marine layer rolled in bad, maybe could see 20ft in front of me clearly. i set my radio hailer for the proper signals and had been blasting them a good hour. coming back into the port slow. heard a noise and i dropped to idle, a big 40-50 ft offshore fishing tuna style powerboat blasted past me at full throttle, just barely missed me.

had a similar close call with some moron coming around the bend without using signals. and another one coming out of a pier where we couldn't see them. because of that i always sound my signal for turns or areas i cant see around well

the LCU's always use sound signals, including when they back out of the pier.

i have heard emergency signals of hold the horn button as long as you can to press it as many times as you can. most of those were in the wrong ironically. seen more than a few power boats do this to sailboats because they don't like sailboats - i talked to them after.

i have been yelled at by some entitled jerk that doesn't like people using horns at all. he actually turned around and followed us to yell at us for using the horn. we pointed out its the law and a requirement but definitely went over his head, we cant to call one of our security boats over with their lights on to scare him off. horns cause road rage in cali.

in general no no ones uses them and most people wouldn't be able to identify them. in San Diego.

i haven't been on the east coast long enough, so I'm not sure how its like here. i haven't been out enough but i haven't heard much so far.

did not see sound signals utilized much in the middle east. just tugs.

cant remember if there was a lot of use in South Central Alaska, but I'm searching my memory and leaning towards no.

i seen the ferries in Seattle use them, but don't remember if there was a lot of recreational use.

you SHOULD use them. if you don't use them, any resultant accident will be your fault, regardless who caused it. kind of the same as turn signals no one uses
alaskanviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2021, 13:01   #44

Boat: Ken Hankinson designed 33' cutter, Lady Sophie. Custom C-Flex planking Hull.

I have a related question. What kind of horn, bell, etc. do you have? I am looking to add something and am looking for options. I have a 24v elect system.
Thanks
lady sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2021, 13:17   #45

Boat: 1984 Passport 42 pilothouse cutter

another observation. I have found the more accessible and easy to use the sound signal the more i use it. radios or load hailer systems with automatic signals got used almost every time. a horn button or air horn get old really quick doing fog signals.

air horns run out of air. i keep one of those eco air horns that you can pump up but i don't use their pump i refill it at the gas station when i check my tires.

electric horns can get bad corrosion on the electrical connections. you need to check and maintain them. a horn that doesn't work well wont get used.

during my mast refit i made sure to add a horn and loud hailer.

because of my experiences i consider one prolonged blast around corners and blind spots is essential legally and safety. but the only place i used it was a tricky spot close to the marina, where it was easy to go aground if someone tried to transit at the same time. once the can was put away it was difficult to do it if i needed it. you know driving!

planning on adding a holder for the horn at the helm and then get a label maker or find a label to make horn references for the regular use signals as a reminder. ill do it more if i don't have to think about it as much. not my best anymore for early morning and low caffeine situations.
alaskanviking is offline   Reply With Quote