Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2011, 15:16   #91

Re: Do You Sailors All Keep Logbooks ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albro359 View Post
A hand held GPS, and maybe a spare, and batteries, and a paper logbook, and extra pens and pencils, and paper charts, glue, and rulers, erasers, spare notepads, nuts and bolts, fuses, bits of wire, tape, sailcloth, hanks, shackles, blocks, rope.............. and KNOW WHERE THEY ALL ARE!
I always find everything......but not normaly the exact item I want at that point in time.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 15:29   #92

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000

And find things I'd forgotten I had, and things I wondered why I kept
Albro359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 15:30   #93
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

my ericson is 35 ft and has a nav station with lift top desk.
my formosa does not have this much neeeded item... when i had that i KNEW where alladat stuff was .... always.

now i just kinda generally know. not sure which shelf in which cabinet. i do miss my nav station.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 16:25   #94

what type of information should be in the log?
and is it uncommon for someone to log everything? (even personal events)
Capt. lulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:19   #95
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. lulz View Post
what type of information should be in the log?
and is it uncommon for someone to log everything? (even personal events)
A Ship’s Log Book is a record of operational data relating to a ship, such as recording information concerning the vessels navigation (periodic Lat/Lon, course, speed, distance, arrival, etc),, weather conditions, times of routine events and significant incidents, crew complement, and service/maintenance of vessels equipment.

Personal events & observations should be noted in a journal (personal diary).

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:38   #96

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36

We have been keeping a log on Antares for the last 5 years of cruising. We log in Fuel /eng hr while running or charging on the hook. We log in timing on passages with regard to the tide so we know when we can get into skinny harbors. Daily milage and stops on the ICW. We keep a separate boat card book with cards from other boats and marinas and businesses we used. This all take only a few minutes a day and is very helpful.

These little tidbits of info are very usefull as we repeat our route or plan a crossing. For instance I found that we use about 420 US Gal. of fuel to go to the Bahamas and back and charge our batteries all winter. The folks staying in our house used 832 US Gal of fuel to heat the house!

Now that is a documented reason to go south!

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:00   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albro359 View Post
A hand held GPS, and maybe a spare, and batteries, and a paper logbook, and extra pens and pencils, and paper charts, glue, and rulers, erasers, spare notepads, nuts and bolts, fuses, bits of wire, tape, sailcloth, hanks, shackles, blocks, rope.............. and KNOW WHERE THEY ALL ARE!
Hopefully, I can always tell where I'm at. Besides my installed chart plotter, I have an iPad with INavx Marine app installed and a Macbook with Maine nav program installed.

I also have a waterproof "Ditch Bag" with handheld GPS, Spot GPS locator, water, batteries, candy bars, $200, copy of passports, etc, right by the door.
57guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:03   #98

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
A Ship’s Log Book is a record of operational data relating to a ship, such as recording information concerning the vessels navigation (periodic Lat/Lon, course, speed, distance, arrival, etc),, weather conditions, times of routine events and significant incidents, crew complement, and service/maintenance of vessels equipment.

Personal events & observations should be noted in a journal (personal diary).
Exactly right. And do keep the personal observations and events in a private journal. If ever called upon to produce your log books for legal reasons, you would not want people having to pour over your own personal thoughts and experiences, rants and raves. As Sgt Friday used to say on Dragnet, 'Give me the facts, just the facts.' (or something to that effect)
Old 03-09-2011, 11:59   #99

Boat: a sailing boat

We do not keep one. But we do have a 'logbook' onboard - taking down miles, sailed, positions, weather details, etc.. I keep my sailing / general / maintenance notes in the same book.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 13:02   #100
Marine Service Provider

SailingLog is the App, we programmed for iPhone/iPad. This makes logging simple!

And for the techies, there are a couple of nice features coming with the next update
robert_vie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2020, 14:22   #101

Boat: McBride 41

I’m mostly a day sailor with occasional longer trips of up to two weeks. We do about 2,000 miles a year and about 80 days.
I keep a bound handwritten log for every outing. Right hand page for crew, date, time, where we went, weather, engine hours (my tachometer only tells me the running total sometimes and I have to be lucky enough to be looking at it when it does). If on passage, I document course, est speed, waypoints as well.
On the left hand side I keep a to do list together with completed tasks together with documentation of anything fitted (part and serial numbers, suppliers contact details etc). Oil changes, changes to electrical switching, routing, and fusing, sail,mreplacement and repair, equipment servicing etc. Also fuel and water status.
All incredibly useful to a 75 year old if I could just remember to look at it!
SimonFirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2020, 17:48   #102

Wow this is a really old necro-thread from 2011...!
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2020, 20:35   #103

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonFirth View Post
I’m mostly a day sailor with occasional longer trips of up to two weeks. We do about 2,000 miles a year and about 80 days.
I keep a bound handwritten log for every outing. Right hand page for crew, date, time, where we went, weather, engine hours (my tachometer only tells me the running total sometimes and I have to be lucky enough to be looking at it when it does). If on passage, I document course, est speed, waypoints as well.
On the left hand side I keep a to do list together with completed tasks together with documentation of anything fitted (part and serial numbers, suppliers contact details etc). Oil changes, changes to electrical switching, routing, and fusing, sail,mreplacement and repair, equipment servicing etc. Also fuel and water status.
All incredibly useful to a 75 year old if I could just remember to look at it!
Welcome aboard CF, Simon. Are you related to Jeremy of the same surname? He had been very kind to us when we first visited Hobart many years ago, now.

Ann
Old 29-12-2020, 07:30   #104

I do exactly the same thing as mentioned above.. I thought that was just part of maritime law when underway. I do it as a force of habit and to be organized.
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2021, 23:08   #105

Boat: Fuji45

We keep a detailed log. We are sailing the world, in other peoples countries and sometimes our logs have been called on to explain a circumstance. Details include anything and everything about each day during trips, including the usual boat details, weather, engine or any mechanical issues, rigging or sail issues, boats we talked to, sicknesses, injuries, or even whale sighting or fish catches. Twice we have been required to show the log and had we not recorded details, we may have been in serious trouble. With the pandemic, suspicions are high and so are our details.