Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2012, 09:17   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Re: Do you know who this is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
Me. Until today.

Ah, so at least you understand!
You can get it here, which is a long download, or read chapter by chapter here online.
Old 17-11-2012, 10:29   #17

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
Me. Until today.

Ah, so at least you understand!
Hey saucy,

I understand. I just thought that navigation courses still at least mentioned Bowditch, even if they did't use him or the Practical American Navigator. But then sometimes I think I'm the last remining person on the planet who has actually owned and used a slide rule (please say you have at least heard of a slide rule - I'm old but not that old!)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 19:18   #18
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Bowditch is not just navigation. It has oceanography, astronomy, weather and a number of other topics that are relevant to mariners. It does make interesting reading when you want to entertain yourself with all kinds of fascinating nautical trivia...and quite often not so trivial but very relevant information. It is known as the navigators Bible.....the navigation source.
Don't leave port without it .
Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Hey saucy,

I understand. I just thought that navigation courses still at least mentioned Bowditch, even if they did't use him or the Practical American Navigator. But then sometimes I think I'm the last remining person on the planet who has actually owned and used a slide rule (please say you have at least heard of a slide rule - I'm old but not that old!)
I think you might have plenty of company among CF folk ; if not, well at least I am sharing the queue with you!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2012, 02:31   #19

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Every time I happen to " when I was young" to my daughters, they "yeah, and the dinosaurs roamed the earth..."

When did I get so old? I don't feel much older than when I was in my thirties.......

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 18-11-2012, 02:46   #20

That would be one massive pdf file. My first introduction to Bowditch was an outdated APN from my grandpa. It was outdated because of the H.O. tables. Since then I have inherited 3 other copies of Bowditch and read them all mostly to note any changes from year to year. This thread supports my opinion that any serious sailor should thoroughly read Bowditch.

As a side note, I am currently rereading the comprehensive biography of Matthew Fontaine Maury written by Francis Leigh Williams. Another amazing man to whom mariners owe so much. This book was published by Rutgers University, Library of Congress catalogue number: 65-10564.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2012, 03:20   #21

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

I guess I'm wondering how sailing schools teach navigation withou referring to Bowditch........

Old 18-11-2012, 03:36   #22
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
I guess I'm wondering how sailing schools teach navigation withou referring to Bowditch........
1. Here is the on/of knob, turn it "ON"
2. Use the cursor and click on where you want to go.
3. Follow the pretty coloured line.
4. When the navigator beeps, you are there.

Yer don't need no stinking big book
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2012, 07:25   #23

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well of course. Why didn't I think of that? Why bother going at all? Just ly on the couch, call up youtube and find a video of it. Munch chips and drink cola/beer while watching. Use remote then no need to turn on/off button to on.

Why bother living? Just call it a day and drop dead. Easier.

Old 22-11-2012, 20:36   #24

Carstenb, do you remember the old round slide rules we used to call prayer wheels? They still use a type of that in teaching air navigation, and when a person gets his pilots license it gets tossed in the back seat and the GPS does the rest. For myself, I am going to renew my celestial skills when I am ready to sail. I like electronics, but I dont have great faith in them.____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 22:47   #25

Boat: Ocean Alexander

Quote:
Hey saucy,

But then sometimes I think I'm the last remining person on the planet who has actually owned and used a slide rule (please say you have at least heard of a slide rule - I'm old but not that old!)
I still own mine and a couple of E6Bs as well . It's been a verrrrrry long time since I've used either, but they are amazing when the electronics go silent.
Old 23-11-2012, 00:09   #26

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Gjordan,

Yeah I remember prayer wheels. Used to have one...........

Hmmmmmm, actually I think I may still have one somewhere in a box. Can't remember how to use though.

Old 23-11-2012, 01:03   #27
LJH

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 42

Quote:
Hey saucy,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska JD View Post
I still own mine and a couple of E6Bs as well . It's been a verrrrrry long time since I've used either, but they are amazing when the electronics go silent.
Both my E6B and straight slide rule are in the Nav table. But then I still carry a sextant and paper charts, but that's another thread.
LJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 04:29   #28

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

How many of us could take a paper chart, select a mile between 2 land points, adjust the rose for annual correction by age of chart, and swing/adjust a compass.
Old 23-11-2012, 04:34   #29

I prefer the 1962 edition of "Bowditch" as the most recent editions have shorted the Celestial Nav chapters.
sailronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 05:22   #30

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
How many of us could take a paper chart, select a mile between 2 land points, adjust the rose for annual correction by age of chart, and swing/adjust a compass.
Blue Stocking,

I'm afraid I probably can. But then again, it hasn't been many years since I took my Yachtmaster. And because I think it is fun, I still do coastal navigation on a paper chart (I know - Luddite!!!)