Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2019, 21:11   #16

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Do you keep a log?

Keep a log in hardback journal. Log lat long COG SOG every 3 or 4 hours. Plus position of all anchorage. Log barometer if in latitudes and conditions where it matters.

Without recording lat long not sure how people plan to start a DR course after taking a lightning hit.
Old 10-05-2019, 21:12   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcarrier View Post
The software to download and display didn’t work, so I’m laboriously typing each one with its lat-longs and copying to Google Earth. Magic!

Jim,

Have you tried GPSBabel? I've had success with it - and it's free, so no risk. It will convert directly to Google Earth KML files (among many others) and allows you to configure the output in numerous ways.
SeanPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 22:54   #18
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Opencpn logbook these days. Just so easy as the raspberry pi is always running. So even moving across the anchorage for twenty minutes goes in. Backed up onto Dropbox. And once in a while a brief overview goes in the paper log.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 23:33   #19

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

When I was learning to sail I was often with a guy who had been a Harwich Pilot in the 1920s and onwards. He didn’t even ask whether it needed doing - just went down and filled in the log every hour in immaculate copperplate, although we were only sailing up to Pin Mill for a beer...
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 01:25   #20

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

My Jim has kept a log since before I knew him, they used to be in properly bound "books", but after we were out for a while, we ran out of them, and have since used what was available from newsagent shops.

We have never needed them for legal reasons, but there's a lot in there, filled with the feeling of the moments of discovery over the years, all in Jim's [sorry, but not copperplate] tiny printing. I'm glad we have them aboard, they are a record of our years together on the water, and his, beforehand.

What's in them? whatever he felt like writing.

Ann
Old 11-05-2019, 03:23   #21

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran - now sold

I have kept a log in a school exercise book since I bought our yacht in 2014. For our two trips up the east coast of Australia to far north Queensland, I recorded everything that happened as well as engine hours, nm travelled, time etc. I have also written these up on my web site together with photos. Why? To help other sailors who might want to do the same trip and get a more independent view of anchorages, marinas etc than you get from books. Also great to look back at them to see what each place was like.
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 03:41   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

I keep a more-or-less log: call it good intentions not quite realized. It tends to slip when doing long tricks at the helm while things are squirrely and the family is seasick. I do fill it in when we arrive in port with everything I can remember. And there's always the plots on charts and plotting sheets, and every sight reduction is dated and time-logged.
What is of more interest to me in the logbook than passage-making notes is depths of anchorages and bottom material, remarks on currents, obstructions, etc. That way the log can serve as a pilot for next time, and can make useful contributions to the cruising guide, if the area is remote.
So, to sum up: I keep a log and wish I could be bothered to keep it better, because it's a good idea.
Old 11-05-2019, 05:37   #23

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'

We have kept a log on our last two boats. All electronic and stored on Google Docs, which means we don't need to worry about the boat going down and all logs being lost. We keep a separate log for fuel usage, maintenance, and travel/engine hours.
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 08:15   #24

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
My Jim has kept a log since before I knew him, they used to be in properly bound "books", but after we were out for a while, we ran out of them, and have since used what was available from newsagent shops.

We have never needed them for legal reasons, but there's a lot in there, filled with the feeling of the moments of discovery over the years, all in Jim's [sorry, but not copperplate] tiny printing. I'm glad we have them aboard, they are a record of our years together on the water, and his, beforehand.

What's in them? whatever he felt like writing.

Ann
When the California franchise board came after me for propertg tax on a previous boat I sent copies of the log book pages as part of my proof the boat wasn't in the state when they claimed.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 08:41   #25

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

I keep my records in the form of lots of excellent photos of the places I have been. Every one brings back great memories. Not the legal stuff you guys are referring to, but great nostalgia. And wonderful to show friends, kids and grandkids what the "old man" did.
taxwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 08:51   #26

From time to time or wondering where we were or when we went, I enjoy getting out my log books from decades of sailing for a trip down memory lane. Of course they are more than just log books they are irreplaceable memories of days gone by and adventure.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 09:25   #27
Marine Service Provider

I kept a meticulous log, every start, every stop, every condition, every repair, every receipt, everything. I solo sailed so this was also intended as a story should anything ever happen to me. When I sold my boat and ceased sailing all my log books went to the new owner, who had a detailed record of everything I ever did or spent on the boat.
Now I am a boat broker here in Georgian Bay, Ontario, the home of the North Channel and the finest freshwater sailing in the world. If the boat I am representing has log books I inform the would be purchaser immediately and together we'll review them to see how thorough an owner he was. If the buyer asks and there are no log books, their face immediately registers disappointment. How else can you know how well a boat was cared for?
Moreover, it is not unusual for me to represent an estate, an illness victim, Alzheimer victim, accident victim. It certainly helps me get to know a boat unfamiliar to me. And if it doesn't add additional value to the boat, it certainly helps sell it faster. Food for thought.
Piratenorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 09:28   #28

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

Yes we do. Handwritten in a small book; pretty simple but effective. Daily notes for weather, temp, and time of departure or continued passage. Intended destination and route and any deviation. Takes note of anything significant - could be either navigation or sightseeing related - and time observed. Notes time at arrival location (anchor or dock), total travel time, and gps location.
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 09:47   #29

Boat: NAJAD 440CC

59 log book, a part of +/- 90
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2D3DAE89-91F6-48DE-96F0-95E2727F1A76.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	442.7 KB
ID:	191835  
giorgio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 10:00   #30

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

My log keeping was always spotty at best. Coordinates, direction, maybe destination, date , and usually a little weather. But not uncommon for me to miss a couple days here and there. I also rely on my chartplotter for an accurate route memory. And even though I always had a few cameras I never set time and date on them, but my wife always used her I-Pad for a camera which put time and location information with the pictures. My wife kept a sort of spotty journal too. Sometimes everything goes so smoothly you forget to not just live in the moment. We are old though and I have forgotten to ever take a selfy, it just is not in my mental repertoire. A few years ago we were cooking dinner on a beach in Washington state and while we were there we observed 3 separate carloads of young women who had pulled off of the highway, ran down to the beach and jumped around laughing and taking selfies and after about 1 or 2 minutes running back to their cars and driving away. It amazes me. I also don’t understand why my sister in law posts pictures of every single meal she eats in restaurants. But I digress, or at least wander slightly befuddled and slightly off topic.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote