Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: do you have a chartplotter and/or what type of nav system do you use
No chartplotteer - paper charts and GPS 12 10.53%
No chartplotter - paper charts and compass only 1 0.88%
yes chartplotter - no paper charts 2 1.75%
yes chartplotter - paper charts and GPS backup 26 22.81%
yes chartplotter - paper charts and compass backup 14 12.28%
yes chartplotter - no paper and an independant back up chartplotter 3 2.63%
yes chartplotter - paper and an independant back up chartplotter 5 4.39%
we got everything, chartplotter, BU, GPS, paper 51 44.74%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2012, 03:58   #16
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Re: Do you have a chartplotter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
so far the poll shows a different picture than what one would get from the discussion on a related current thread
Maybe that's because the Highly Opinionated are highly vocal advocates for their own opinions of what's best for others? The rest of us aren't that concerned with what others might do.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:29   #17

Boat: Beneteau First 38

Yes chartplotter - ships computer, paper charts and GPS backup , compass, watch and sextant.
I'm fighting currents to get back to you, listening to the flow of your liquid language as you beckon me, "Come Play"
Mariners Cove, CI. Anonymous.
Caribsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:32   #18

Boat: Mason 43

About 2 years ago I had an electrical/engine failure about 150nm offshore. All I had were paper charts and a gps from a car. It told me there were no roads in my area but gave me a lat lon to plot on the chart. Worked great.
jmackay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:08   #19
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Maybe that's because the Highly Opinionated are highly vocal advocates for their own opinions of what's best for others? The rest of us aren't that concerned with what others might do.
Yes. Which is why I think thread discussions don't really represent what people think/do lots of times as only the vocal on the ends tend to post replies. Kind of like satisfaction surveys where you get mostly either "very dissatisfied" or "very satisfied" and little in between.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:12   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais

Quote:
Is this a case of "do as I preach not as I do"?
No it is more of a case that you still need them. I think most of the members would agree. They are no longer mandated on commercial ships using ENC electronic charts. Though these ships have backup capabilities that go well beyond what you can do on a yacht.

The one weak area I have is that my wife isn't very good at navigation. Ironically, she started the class twice with the USCG Auxiliary. They are one of the very few that have real classes that teach with an instructor and are quite good classes (look for them near you). She starts out doing very well (she does the homework and reading) but something catastrophic comes up and she has to bail out of the class. This is just a long way of saying having the crew fully trained in navigation means errors get spotted sooner. When tough conditions show up cross training allows what needs to get done to be done properly. Education is more valuable than multiple equipment backups. Navigation skills allow you to use whatever is available and handy. Seeing the obvious requires knowledge!

The only navigation errors I ever made we totally stupid mistakes. The Admiral is normally quite good at telling me when I do stupid things though not of a navigation nature.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:39   #21

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer

As far as I am concerend, a GPS or chartplotter IS the backup to your paper charts.

Even if you use your GPS/CP primarily. Your paper charts will not go blank if they get wet or fail for any other reason (other than burning or blowing overboard).

Have had 2 GPS fail 3 different times. Over 20 years, thats not a bad track record...but NEVER have my paper charts gone blank!

I just know TOO many boaters/sailors that have NO idea how to navigate and use their compass as a decoration.

I have 2 chartplotters and 2 handheld GPS' on board..all backups to my paper charts.

WHEN your CP goes blank, where is your DR plot/track? Where are you? Plus they always fail when the weather is bad - 4+' seas, rain, etc. Not knowing where you are is a bad thing.

Of course I use my CP regularly, but my chart is right at the helm, and do reality checks regularly during the journey. Unless I pull a Captain Ron and lose/burn the chart..I will know where I am!
phantomracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 20:05   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3
The largest group by far has a back up chartplotter!

And by my count 55 votes and no one relies on paper alone. Hmmm...

The interesting votes to me are the 2 votes for no paper on board. Would love to hear from them.

I'm not ready to toss the paper, but it would take me a few minutes to dig them out...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 20:57   #23

Chart plotter external gps, chart plotter internal gps, 2 x laptops with pucks 1x netbook with puck all running OpenCPN. 2 x hand held gps. Radar, charts. and if all fails hit the EPIRB .

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 21:21   #24

Boat: Grampian 26

Chart plotter, compass, paper, cruising guide, Gps and the MK1 which gets used 90% of the time, being my sailing area allows for it.
Guide and chart stored in cockpit holder.
Old 10-05-2012, 21:37   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV
Chart plotter external gps, chart plotter internal gps, 2 x laptops with pucks 1x netbook with puck all running OpenCPN. 2 x hand held gps. Radar, charts. and if all fails hit the EPIRB .
7 gps'?

You win...

Ya might wanna consider back up paper charts in a fireproof box. Ya never know - LOL
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 23:52   #26

Boat: Seafarer 38
Two hard mounted plotters, ships computer with dedicated GPS and software, two handhelds, an iPad, and a laptop. Most of them have charts (some multiple versions) for the areas we currently sail. We use radar and depth sounders (2) to verify chart accuracy. We also have paper charts for emergency use with all of the standard nav tools (compass, dividers, protractor, etc.). Binocs with a compass and rangefinder. Along with the paper charts in the category of have, but don't use is the sextant and current nautical almanac. We have a lead line as well, but don't use it under way unless the main sounders read low when depth should be higher (happens in muddy water or with plants on the bottom).

With software so cheap, and an old iPhone in the under $100 category, I have no idea why everyone doesn't have at least one plotting device.
engele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 00:22   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
7 gps'?

You win...

Ya might wanna consider back up paper charts in a fireproof box. Ya never know - LOL
We are going to see an explosion of gps units carried on boats. I have just added an iPad for my wife and I. That is 2 extra gps units complete with electronic maps. In 2 years when the batteries give out I will probably by 2 more and the old ones will still work off 12v.
GPS chips are getting very cheap and manufacturers will be incorporating them into more and more consumer products.
I think we are reaching the stage for many boats where they can rely on a working gps unit.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:31   #28

Boat: 1977 Cav 26

Hello all, have't posted for a while, but still vist this site quite alot for info.
For the thread / I have a compass and chart only, only becaues Im a tight ass and don't sail that far as yet
will upgrade my phone though.

Now if I get a whipin for saying this I can hack it, but I've just got to say it.
So, when your chartplotter breaks down, is that when you lose the plot
Old 11-05-2012, 02:19   #29

Boat: Swan 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
The largest group by far has a back up chartplotter!

And by my count 55 votes and no one relies on paper alone. Hmmm...

The interesting votes to me are the 2 votes for no paper on board. Would love to hear from them.

I'm not ready to toss the paper, but it would take me a few minutes to dig them out...
I'm one of the no paper on board any more. I used to carry paper charts around, but never used them. A few years ago I reduced them all to A3 photocopies and had them bound in folders for emergency use only.

Recently I reviewed the situation again and decided to ditch A3 copies.

I consider that I have enough contingency on board without them.
bewitched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:39   #30
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by naggi View Post
Hello all, have't posted for a while, but still vist this site quite alot for info.
For the thread / I have a compass and chart only, only becaues Im a tight ass and don't sail that far as yet
will upgrade my phone though.

Now if I get a whipin for saying this I can hack it, but I've just got to say it.
So, when your chartplotter breaks down, is that when you lose the plot
why didn't you vote on the poll you had a chance to be "special"???

Tags
chartplotter