Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 13:16   #1

Boat: Lexcen 40 - Leverage
Dinghy access/security in Sydney Harbour

Greetings Folks,

We are now a few days out from moving aboard.

We will be starting in Sydney Harbour/Parramatta River until we get comfortable and hopefully in a few weeks slowly starting to make our way North.

In the meantime, while I've lived and worked in Sydney for a million years, I've always "commuted" to the boat - i.e. dinghy on trailer, to boat ramp, launch, etc.. then come back to boat ramp.

I've never had to:

a. Leave the dinghy alone while going somewhere: where do you leave your dinghy in Sydney - surely a new RIB will get stolen in 15 minutes?

b. Access the shore/land and keep my feet relatively clean (I mention this as for example - Hen and Chicken Bay is totally MUD and I can't imagine wading 50m at low tide through sticky MUD dragging the dinghy.. then going shopping for food etc without somehow requiring a SERIOUS clean up!)

We will be mobile, and will be in various anchorages depending on the wind direction etc - so a list of various access points with somewhere to tie up the dinghy and not get too dirty going ashore would be greatly appreciated.

At the moment, there are a LOT of international cruisers in the harbour I see flying courtesy flags - how are you all getting ashore?

Thank you very much in advance!

AK
akio.kanemoto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, sydney