Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2008, 00:30   #1

Boat: Leopard 46, The Selkirk Grace
Demise of Maptech?

I had not seen this posted anywhere, but I did find it on the Maptech site.
Ed Lecuyer
Original Message
(Posted Sep 4, 2008 8:47 AM)
thread closed

Hello.

On August 29, 2008, Maptech, inc., makers of navigation products for marine, land, and aerial use officially shut its doors after nearly 20 years of business. This has been a very hard and stressful time for its 75+ employees. We worked together as a family for many years and we were all saddened to see it close.

Fortunately, nearly all of Maptech's products (and many of its employees) have found new homes. While I may not be able to respond to your specific email request, please allow me to direct you to the folks that may be able to assist you.

Maptech's Land Navigation division, including products such as Terrain Navigator and Terrain Navigator Pro, as well as the popular online Mapserver, has been purchased by mytopo.com. We have also reached agreement to continue to host the historical USGS map collection. For technical support for these products, please email us at 'support@mytopo.com' or call 406-294-9994. Sales inquiries may be directed to 800-627-7236. Web site: Customized Topo Maps, Aerial Photos, and Hybrids | MyTopo.com

Maptech's Paper ChartKit division, including the ChartKits, Waterproof Chartbooks, Embassy Cruising Guides, and Companion CDs (featuring Offshore Navigator Lite and included with most ChartKits and Chartbooks) are now serviced by Richardsons' Charts. They can be reached at 800-873-4057 or 508-990-9020. Web site: Welcome to Richardsons' Charts and Guidebooks

The CAPN, the popular professional navigation software, is now offered by Star Technologies. They can be reached at 703-759-2933. Web site: Welcome to The Capn

Maptech's digital marine offerings, including Offshore Navigator, Chart Navigator, and Chart Navigator Pro are serviced by KPM Marine. Reach them at 978-834-9953 for technical assistance or 978-834-9950 for sales inquires. KPM Marine also maintains a limited inventory of parts and cables for Maptech's Sea Ray Navigator and i3 Touch Screen Navigation Systems.

Finally, Pocket Navigator has been discontinued. However, you may be able to get limited service and upgrades through its original manufacturer: Memory-Map. They can be reached at 607-216-9195. Web site: Memory-Map: GPS Mapping Software for PC and Pocket PC

Thank you for your interest in Maptech's products. I wish you well in your endeavors.

-Ed Lecuyer
Former Maptech Employee
Now part of the team at MyTopo.com

SelkirkWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 03:33   #2
cruiser

They had a good run acting as a middle man, jacking up prices on NOAA-produced charts.

NOAA has eliminated the middle man, so it's hard to build a business model around that now.

This was bound to happen sooner or later... their business model wasn't sustainable.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 05:19   #3

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
So long to the company I loved to hate. Still, I have a lot of their products. Thanks for the information.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 14:10   #4

Demise of Maptech

This message was posted by Ed today on another forum:
Hi all.

Please note that the above message was posted as a former Maptech employee to aid customers searching for assistance with those products. Please do not take that message as an official announcement from 'MyTopo' or any of the other companies mentioned in that message.

It should also be noted that at the request of at least one of those companies, the original posting from the Maptech.com discussion forum has been removed. This is so that they can conduct their own public relations efforts.

There is lot of misinformation floating around regarding this transaction (including at least one factual error in this thread alone.) While I will be happy to answer questions regarding the Terrain Navigator/MyTopo transition, I suspect that subject will be of limited interest to the readers of this forum. I'll leave it to representatives from the other companies to comment, should they so wish.

That having been said, I honestly believe that the owners/management of Maptech have done a fine job finding homes for each of the various product lines. I suspect that each product (ChartKits, Digital Charts, The CAPN, etc.) will do well individually as they can receive the necessary, dedicated, focused attention that each require. The transition period may be a bit messy, but it will be sorted out soon enough.

-Ed Lecuyer
Maptech alumni: 1997-2008
Old 15-09-2008, 10:24   #5

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
I called the company called KPM Marine at 978-834-9953 (tech support), that is took over the digital marine software. The tech support called me this morning, and this is the information that I was able to get. I did not get the location of the company, but it is on the East coast. The man to talk to is called Michael (the only person in the tech department...must be a really small company), and he told me he has all the registration information from people that bought Maptech software. When I did a Goggle search for KPM Marine I found numerous links to a company (an international company), but after talking to the tech I found out that this is not their company. He told me that they do not have a website yet, but they are working on it.
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2008, 12:03   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I do find it irritating that there are companies selling charts whose data they got for free from our tax dollars. Hopefully this concept will fall by the wayside real fast.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2008, 13:59   #7

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Getting the data free, sure, but they do add value. They organize, print, bind, distribute, etc.

The folks that sell road maps aren't out surveying to get the data either.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2008, 10:17   #8

Thumbs up Maptech navigator now owned by KBM Marine

I received the following email from Mike at KBM Marine today.

Quote:
KPM Marine is a small company in Amesbury, MA that has purchased the Digital Charts assests of Maptech Inc as well as the Offshore Navigator & Chart Navigator Pro software.

You can contact Sales at 978.834.9950 or by fax at 978.934.9955
Technical Support at 978.384.9953 or by email at kpmmarine_technical at yahoo dot com

The Maptech website is still up and we have taken control of that as well, there is a link to Marine Software when you get to www.maptech.com

Mike
KPM Marine
Technical Support
Old 29-09-2008, 18:23   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I do find it irritating that there are companies selling charts whose data they got for free from our tax dollars. Hopefully this concept will fall by the wayside real fast.
Well you do have the option of printing them out for free yourself so the data is FREE. See what Kinkos will charge ya! They are charging for what they do with the data. Also...if you think they are a rip off...the why aren't other companies competing and undercutting their prices? ...and of course...why are they bankrupt?

camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maptech