Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2017, 19:10   #31

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Delorme In Reach Explorer

Just re-discovered one aspect of the InReach I dont like: software functionality is fragmented between the web site, EarthMate (app), and the device itself.

Example, wanted to send a friend a message from my InReach to his tonight (he's on a moutain), but his InReach address on my InReach account contacts has a typo in it. Apparently no way to edit or delete a contact on the web site (add contact is the only option), EarthMate has no contacts functionality, and editing contacts on the device is clunky.

My solution ultimately was to delete the contact via the device and the reenter it on the device...painful, but it worked.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 19:16   #32

(Dup)
Old 01-10-2017, 20:54   #33

Boat: Farrier f27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSailors View Post
The Admiral and I were just discussing whether this device would serve those trapped in Puerto Rico? Any reason it would not work in that situation?
Electricity
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 21:27   #34

Boat: None, Currently (though looking)

I have the Delorme InReach Explorer (2016 version) and love it!

Bought it for a 2 month sailing trip through Caribbean and have used it on several other land based trips (including a river rafting trip this coming weekend). It is fantastic once you get used to using it - and you need to pair with a smartphone (iPhone in my case) to make it very easy to use. Once paired with smartphone, the full functionality of the unit is transferred to the phone, making it much easier to type and send messages. I have never had any problem connecting to satellites (other than while testing indoors).

My older version didn't have maps included, however, you can download all maps to the smartphone app so you have full map functionality. (Obviously, this must be done in advance of a trip while connected to internet.) The new version adds maps on the device, but because I have the phone, I see no reason to get the new version. I always have my phone with me.

I am an avid backcountry skier and it will become part of my pack for each trip. I love the tracking mechanism on it - my wife can instantly know where I am (assuming I've got tracking turned on - which can be as frequent as 10 min send intervals).

I agree with others - when I'm not using it, I simply downgrade the service to a $15/month plan which means I simply pay for each text/email sent (above a de minimus) and tracking points. Also, the weather download service is weak, at best.

Its a great device for what it is.
Breck Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 21:34   #35

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Electricity
I purchased a little solar recharger, i keep it in the grab bag, theoretically if i abandoned ship the inreach can keep screaming for help indefinitely.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 03:50   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breck Sailor View Post

I am an avid backcountry skier and it will become part of my pack for each trip. I love the tracking mechanism on it - my wife can instantly know where I am (assuming I've got tracking turned on - which can be as frequent as 10 min send intervals).

There is also a "ping" function where someone can request a location from your device. I havent used it, but think its accessible from the map link thats sent out with check in messages.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:47   #37

I wouldn't go offshore without mine.

For four years, my Inreach just "works". Everytime. Everywhere. Unlike my SSB, Ham radio, and Satphone. My Inreach also works fine right through the fiberglass overhead without an external antenna so it just lives on the chart table always turned on. If a message arrives it beeps until read. This has been a great comfort to family members who know they can reach me anytime in a shoreside emergency instead of waiting for a once a day radio call.

I'm happy that Garmin bought Delorme. Delorme was a small company that could have run into cash problems at anytime. InReach fits into Garmin's businesses in aviation and wilderness hiking too. Garmin will not want to make these groups angry by raising prices wihout good reason. It's a much better outcome than Delorme being bought by private equity companies like so many marine equipment companies (e.g B&G). It's been over two years since the acquisition and Garmin has come out with better engineered models without raising the service fees.

In most distress situations, the InReach is much better than an EPIRB as it provides two-way detailed communication with SAR. You also know someone is coming instead of watching an EPIRB's light blink. Most distress calls are made from onboard a boat not in the water. Rescues can start immediately since there is no need to confirm that it is not a false alarm. I update the InReach database before every long offshore trip with the details of the boat, planned route, names and ages of all crew. Of course, I also carry an EPIRB and PLB's and would use them if I couldn't use the InReach or didn't get an immediate response from the InReach rescue center.

The weather is sufficient for me 80% of the time but it is not a weather routing package or good when unusual weather is around. In that situation, I send an InReach message to my son ashore and he sends me back a series of messages with detailed weather. It's never required more than 10 messages to send a forecast (at $0.10 a message). It's amazing how much someome under age 30 can pack into a single 160 character message. Most weather routing services are also glad to deliver via InReach (they also will send several messages).

The GO is also a good tool amd I'd get one before doing email by SSB or SatPhone. If you want to maintain a website while offshore, the InReach can't help you. But I've found that I don't need long emails when offshore. As Trump has shown, you can say a lot with 160 characters.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 07:14   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuttingDoctor View Post
No reason at all as long as they can charge it via 12v
Charge input is 5V via USB, so if they have a a standard 12V-USB charge adaptor they could charge off any good 12V battery...even if a trashed car isnt running, could lilkely find a battery w some charge left.

Battery life is quite good (at least on my Delorme version of the Explorer). If only sending a few msgs/day it will last for at least several days.

I carry a small battery pack with USB connectors when away from any power source...like backpacking or kayaking, have easily done week long trips charging my phone and InReach off of this pack...could go longer no problem...maybe 2 weeks.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:24   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Go View Post
No comparison on cost
InReach less expensive to purchase and use
No contracts, I turn mine on when I'm out and off when I'm not. (Freedom Plan)
Sitting in my sock drawer until next cruise.
Standalone, Back Up GPS, Fits in the Ditch Bag
Cheers
Neil
Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
I've used one this year, its ok but wouldn't buy it again.
I suppose it depends on your plans. The tracker is good, folks at home love it. The text function is good. The weather isnt that great, much prefer grib files to get a better wider view.
If i had my time over I'd a purchase a iridium go, does everything the inreach does but also has gribs ( predicta wind), can send and recieve bigger files.
Personally for me this is a classic "the poor man pays twice scenerio" i purchased the inreach to save bucks but will now spend more by upgrading to the iridium go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
I could be mistaken but you can suspend the Go as well, just like i have done with my inreach. You can also take the Go with you just like the inreach.
Under passage it dosent work out cheaper using the inreach if you use Oceans. You pay for there service, iridium go has unlimited download.
I had six days of hardly any wind in the middle of the indian ocean, because i didnt have a grib i didnt no whether to head down or up in attempt to find it, my monthly inreach bill was $250 because i was pumping in waypoints trying to find wind.

Also alot found it difficult to respond to my emails but not the texts.

You are limited to 160 characters.

Look, i think its a good product depending on what plans are BUT it isnt as good as the Go.....you buy it over the Go because its intial purchase price is cheaper.
Didnt buy mine because it was cheaper than Go, bought it because it was compact and weather/water proof (IPX7). Ive clipped it to my vest on extended kayaking trips, even got slam dunked in a big surf landing, no problems. My logic for doing this is that if I am injured and/or separated from my kayak then the InReach wont do me much good tucked away in a gear bag on the kayak.

Similar logic on the boat, unless in use, my InReach lives in the ditch bag.

From my perpective, they are 2 diff devices with different functionality and purpose. Could certainly see having both aboard on a long crossing.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:04   #40

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Didnt buy mine because it was cheaper than Go, bought it because it was compact and weather/water proof (IPX7). Ive clipped it to my vest on extended kayaking trips, even got slam dunked in a big surf landing, no problems. My logic for doing this is that if I am injured and/or separated from my kayak then the InReach wont do me much good tucked away in a gear bag on the kayak.

From my perpective, they are 2 diff devices with different functionality and purpose. Could certainly see having both aboard on a long crossing.
I agree they are definitely more rugged and that was part of my intial reasoning.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 14:46   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post

Just checked specs and Iridium Go is IP65, basically heavy spray. I assume thats with all ports capped.