Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2021, 18:08   #1

Boat: Grady White Canyon 376
Cruising Puerto Rico to Miami

I'm thinking about doing this trip later this year. Maybe in October after the worst possible storm activity but hopefully taking advantage of some good weather between remaining October systems.

The boat is a Grady White Canyon 376(37 ft) center console with 3x350 HP Yamahas. Cruising range is 320 nm.

What stops would be recommendable? I would like to do it travelling days and staying in hotels since sleeping in the boat would not be our first choice. Thinking about a crew of four for the trip. Would hate to carry a gun, should I?

I'm thinking it'll be a good trip because it'll mostly be down wind and current. What do you guys think?
Mrs. Blue Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2021, 18:45   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1999 Leopard 45, 45 foot cat, 1980 Hunter 33, 33 foot monohull
Re: Cruising Puerto Rico to Miami

What speed will you be doing? Not that many hotels along the way!
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2021, 19:02   #3

Boat: Spindrift 43

Interesting question with a few considerations. I’ll start with the weather. Early season storms come from the Atlantic/Africa, but late season storms (your proposed window) are typically borne in the Gulf. If one sprouts up, you’ll have a lot less warning, so just be aware of that. It’s not a deal killer- it’s just a thing.

This coming from a gun owner- you can safely wash that concern out of your thinking. This is essentially a delivery. Many happen... often, and guns don’t really play a role in them. Puerto Rico to Miami is not the same as coastal cruising in Honduras and Venezuela. You’re better off putting your attention in more realistic aspects of this-pretty simple- trip.

Hotels will introduce a limiting factor. It can be done, but will be (I think) needlessly challenging. Motor until dark and anchor, or press on through the night until a convenient stopping point comes up, then stop. It’s not realistic to expect hotel accommodations on that particular trip....

Run from Miami to Boston, and that’s a different story- you’ll be in the ICW and I could guarantee you sun downers from a waterfront resort every single night.

This particular trip will require motoring more than the sunny 12 hours and would require some nights not spent in a hotel...

Still worth doing in my book.
Creedence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2021, 07:15   #4

Boat: Grady White Canyon 376

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrail View Post
What speed will you be doing? Not that many hotels along the way!
I'm thinking 20-25 knots on average.
Mrs. Blue Sky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, miami, Puerto Rico