Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2020, 04:06   #151

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Computer for navigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
I'm not sure what you are getting at. Have you had a bad experience with Toughbooks?
He might just mean the weight of the thing.

As compared to something like a Raspberry pi, the Toughbook is quite heavy and bulky at nearly 4.5 lbs as compared to .81 oz Raspberry Pi.

Many times the cables attached to the Raspberry Pi will hold it in place it's so light
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 05:22   #152

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post

As compared to something like a Raspberry pi, the Toughbook is quite heavy and bulky at nearly 4.5 lbs as compared to .81 oz Raspberry Pi.

Many times the cables attached to the Raspberry Pi will hold it in place it's so light

You are quite right it is quite heavy but the military would demand something quite solid.

One thing that surprises me is the ease the HDD(or SSD) can be swapped over as easy SD Card or Flash Drive. My original HDD has Windows 7 and my SSD has Win 10. They can be swapped over in a matter of seconds.

I thought the computer only had USB2 but it has USB3 as well
"USB 2.0 transfer speed is 480 megabits per second (Mbps), while USB 3.0 transfer speed is 4,800 Mbps. This means USB 3.0 is approximately 10 times faster than USB 2.0. More recently, USB 3.1 has also been released and has a data transfer rate of 10,000 Mbps". (promotionaldrives.com)
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 06:06   #153

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:

Much as I like RPi for some purposes your RPi comparisons are getting tiresome...

Again you are not comparing apples with apples. The RPi is in NO WAY comparable with a Toughbook.

Please add the weight and bulk of all the required peripherals and cables (including a screen) AND make them all water resistant, before making any comparison...

I don't think you can.

Whilst the Toughbook might be nominally portable, I don't think anyone is suggesting to carry it around like a mobile phone, so the weight and bulk is of much less relevance.

Onboard I'm guessing most people will use it in a couple of locations. Plugged in, at the Nav Station, and up in the Cockpit / Pilothouse / under the Dodger when entering a port, harbour, or passing through a tricky navigational area.

I really think people just troll and post crap in this forum because they have nothing better to do.

Most of this crap can be quickly shot down with some common sense logic by people who have actually been cruising and understand how the tools and toys will be used on an everyday practical basis.

jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2020, 05:01   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
Much as I like RPi for some purposes your RPi comparisons are getting tiresome...

Again you are not comparing apples with apples. The RPi is in NO WAY comparable with a Toughbook.

Please add the weight and bulk of all the required peripherals and cables (including a screen) AND make them all water resistant, before making any comparison...

I don't think you can.

Whilst the Toughbook might be nominally portable, I don't think anyone is suggesting to carry it around like a mobile phone, so the weight and bulk is of much less relevance.

Onboard I'm guessing most people will use it in a couple of locations. Plugged in, at the Nav Station, and up in the Cockpit / Pilothouse / under the Dodger when entering a port, harbour, or passing through a tricky navigational area.

I really think people just troll and post crap in this forum because they have nothing better to do.

Most of this crap can be quickly shot down with some common sense logic by people who have actually been cruising and understand how the tools and toys will be used on an everyday practical basis.

Yeah, so I guess you don't have much to do aye?

The weight of the Toughbook can create problems on some boats when not properly secured. It can go sliding off really fast and hard and be damaged.

Laptops are famous for this. Also, the ribbon cables wear out ongoing to the the lid/screen. Lid switches fail, and so on

The Raspberry Pi on the other hand is perfect for a boat. You can place it most anywhere down below and then use the Wifi to a small pad or tablet. Or you can just mount it all down below and turn the monitor so you can see it or just go down and check if need be.

Once in close you have visual aids for navigation anyway.

I always used charts and GPS to this point so the monitor in a fixed position in the cabin will be fine or I might have a second monitor on the bridge deck in the cockpit since the Raspberry pi has two (2) monitor connection jacks
Old 14-03-2020, 06:12   #155

Quote:
The weight of the Toughbook can create problems on some boats when not properly secured. It can go sliding off really fast and hard and be damaged.

Laptops are famous for this. Also, the ribbon cables wear out ongoing to the the lid/screen. Lid switches fail, and so on
I won't argue with you regarding navigation because I've got all that in front of me.

But Toughbooks don't appear to have ribbon cables. Is the communication between the computer and screen WiFi?

My only comment regarding the Rasberry is readability of the screen in broad daylight. Is that a problem?

The Fully Rugged Toughbook, for when failure is not an option

With unrivalled durability and world-class heritage, the CF-19 is one of the most dynamic and versatile convertible tablet PCs in the field. The rugged ratings for Fully Rugged Toughbook will change the way you view mobile PCs. Drop, shock, moisture, dust, temperature, pressure and vibration-resistant technology has been increased to Mil-STD-810G and IP65 standards. With world-class wireless connectivity, it is perfect for mobile field workers for when failure is not an option.

Old 14-03-2020, 06:35   #156

My computer technician recommended the Toughbook (and similar type computers)

But he also recommended NUC (Next Unit of Computing)

Build Your Mini Computer with Intel® NUC | Intel (Australia)

www.intel.com.au › content › www › products › boards-kits › nuc

Intel® NUC is a small form factor PC with a tiny footprint. Short for Next Unit of Computing, Intel® NUC (say it like “luck” or “truck”) puts full-sized PC power in the ...‎Intel® NUC Mini PCs · ‎Intel® NUC Kits · ‎Intel® NUC Boards
Old 14-03-2020, 07:02   #157

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
When you really go cruising you will realise that when you are 'close in' this is exactly when you often do not have sufficient useful 'visual aids for navigation'.

They either often don't exist, are unreliable, or simply plain wrong.

And then having your navigational device up in the cockpit / pilothouse / under the dodger becomes extremely useful.

Old 14-03-2020, 07:56   #158

Quote:
I won't argue with you regarding navigation because I've got all that in front of me.

But Toughbooks don't appear to have ribbon cables. Is the communication between the computer and screen WiFi?

My only comment regarding the Rasberry is readability of the screen in broad daylight. Is that a problem?

The Fully Rugged Toughbook, for when failure is not an option

With unrivalled durability and world-class heritage, the CF-19 is one of the most dynamic and versatile convertible tablet PCs in the field. The rugged ratings for Fully Rugged Toughbook will change the way you view mobile PCs. Drop, shock, moisture, dust, temperature, pressure and vibration-resistant technology has been increased to Mil-STD-810G and IP65 standards. With world-class wireless connectivity, it is perfect for mobile field workers for when failure is not an option.

The Toughbook may not have ribbon cables. I haven't opened one up, but if it has that rotating screen shown above that connection is definitely a possible trouble spot

If I were to sail/cruise for weeks or months, I'd also have my laptop along with my RPi's onboard. I might also connect an external monitor, keyboard, and mouse to it and leave the laptop below in a secure place
Old 14-03-2020, 08:01   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
When you really go cruising you will realise that when you are 'close in' this is exactly when you often do not have sufficient useful 'visual aids for navigation'.

They either often don't exist, are unreliable, or simply plain wrong.

And then having your navigational device up in the cockpit / pilothouse / under the dodger becomes extremely useful.

Thanks. Now that is useful information.

I have heard the Bahamas can be like that.

Also sometimes even here I try and cut corners and just recognizing wave action due to low water has saved me from running aground many times
Old 14-03-2020, 08:03   #160

Quote:
My computer technician recommended the Toughbook (and similar type computers)

But he also recommended NUC (Next Unit of Computing)

Build Your Mini Computer with Intel® NUC | Intel (Australia)

www.intel.com.au › content › www › products › boards-kits › nuc

Intel® NUC is a small form factor PC with a tiny footprint. Short for Next Unit of Computing, Intel® NUC (say it like “luck” or “truck”) puts full-sized PC power in the ...‎Intel® NUC Mini PCs · ‎Intel® NUC Kits · ‎Intel® NUC Boards
Great!

I have 15 computer technicians on my staff.

They are not all equal in knowledge and can argue 'best computer' as much as we might argue best anchor
Old 14-03-2020, 08:21   #161

the Toughbook though does meet the IP65 standard (ingress protection) which means it is protected against dust and also water jets up to 3 minutes.

The only higher standers are IP67 and IP68 which is dust protection and can be immersed in water up 1 meter (IP67) and beyond 1 meter (IP68) for 30 minutes
Old 14-03-2020, 08:27   #162

Are Toughbooks Waterproof?

https://www.bobjohnson.com/blog/are-...ks-waterproof/

Toughbook Keyboards: Demystified

https://www.bobjohnson.com/blog/toug...s-demystified/
Old 14-03-2020, 08:33   #163

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Lots of navigation options which is good since there are so many cruisers with different needs, preferences, and skills.

Quote:
...The weight of the Toughbook can create problems on some boats when not properly secured. It can go sliding off really fast and hard and be damaged...

Laptops should be secured. I use a bungie to keep it within the fiddles on my nav station

Never, in 25 years of cruising, using consumer grade laptops, have I had this type of failure

The Raspberry Pi on the other hand is perfect for a boat...

Many people don't have ANY computer skills and a Rpi is beyond them, tyhis is why tables and chartplotters are so popular (one of the reasons)

Close in you need constant verification of your position and any hazards. On deck is good. I used to have a monitor on a long cord. Don't use it anymore, now our navigation is below deck at the Nav station. Since there are two of us, one person stands in the companion way and monitors the chart and gives steering instruction to the helm person, who has eyes out of the boat.

Old 14-03-2020, 08:57   #164

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Let's take a step backwards for a moment.

In my opinion cruisers and potential cruisers spend too much time deciding and debating abut which item of equipment is best. Which computer for navigation.
Which battery, which solar controller, which refer system, which battery isolator, charger, inverter, alternator, autopilot, on and on and on.

This forum is a perfect example of this

The debate soon devolves into such minor differences and benefits that it becomes insignificant. Meanwhile we are too busy picking the "best" to spend time on things which really matter, like learning how to sail and make your boat go, how to deal with navigation challenges, storm situations, DOCKING, just time on the boat.

I dunno, maybe people are doing all those things and researching the "best" item (and installing it) is just what they do at work instead of what they are paid to do.

Lets get out on the boa more and lay off the search for the best.
Old 14-03-2020, 08:58   #165

The lid switch and screen connection problems occur quite often on heavily used laptops that are moved a lot as in during travel etc.

I doubt you are constantly opening and closing yours.

As far navigation close in using visual aids only, this is the only way I've ever known even when in unknown waters. (since the 70's)

Just in the passed few years have I added gps and paper chart

Sometime coming out of Mobjack Bay up here which is maybe 40 miles North West of here and maybe 5 miles deep and 2 miles or so wide, I cut across out of the channel on the way home with the SW Wind trying to get headed more South faster.

Boat is heeled maybe 20-25 degrees, chart is flapping in the wind, depth finder bouncing from 1'-3' of water below the keel as I skirt around the flats close as possible

Fun stuff!

Now though I'll be able to glance at my little boat figure on my Opencpn chart on the monitor (maybe on the bridgedeck or in the cabin) and know where I am in relation to the flat where the depth can be 2'

Tags
grass, navigation