Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2011, 20:50   #1

Coastal Explorer 2009

I apologize first off if I had made a duplicate thread or needed to post elsewhere. I recently joined trying to seek help about the said software. CE '09. I am afraid I have little experience with navigational instruments or computers.
My question was concerning on how to set up or plot my current position on the charts. I hooked my Garmin gps up to my computer and opened Coastal Explorer '09. Do I need to import my gps under the file tab so it recognizes my lat and long?

Thanks to anyone for their help.
hawaii5o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2011, 05:36   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, hawaii5o.

I’m sure one of our electronic navigation experts will chime in soon.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2011, 06:17   #3

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Congrats on a great choice of software. CE is very capable and because of the many functions, there is a learning curve. Learn the keyboard shortcuts and mouse operations if you want to get the best use of it.

Start with the documentation that comes with the program, and read the manual. If you don't have a manual, start the program and press the F1 function key at the top of your keyboard. In the "getting started" Help section, look for the sub-section titled: "Setting up instruments". Other HELP screens will answer your other questions. You should read the documentation thoroughly before you ask questions here. It will also tell you how to get product support from the company.

Now to answer your question about getting the GPS to be recognized, turn on the GPS and then start the program. After your GPS has warmed up and has a fix, choose 'Configure Vessel and Electronics" and then choose "Data Ports" then choose "Auto Detect".

If the program doesn't get a GPS fix, then report back and include all details about how you have connected your GPS to the computer.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2011, 06:22   #4

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
It depends on how you hooked up the garmin. Either way you need to go to the tools menu>Configure vessel and electronics>data ports. click the "auto detect" option.
If your garmin is putting out a signal it should show up and be listed there. Some Garmin's require a driver be loaded prior to using it on a PC. I downloaded one for mine from the Garmin web site. Also some garmin's require that you set up the output type on the gps. Some have a USB interface and some have a NMEA 183 which you need to select, depending on how you hooked it up to your computer. Typically an NMEA 183 doesn't require a driver on the computer, but a USB connection does. The NMEA 183 interface on the garmin also typically has a speed setting that must be matched to what the computer is expecting at least known so you can tell the computer what to expect. If you'll let me know how you connected the unit, I'll be able to give specific instructions and avoid confusing you with a lot of "Ifs".
Captain Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2011, 06:46   #5
cruiser

It should be noted that Coastal Explorer 2011 was just released this week. It wouldn't be a bad idea to see if you can get a free upgrade to it if not pay for the upgrade. Later versions have better support and more compatibility with different instruments.
ActiveCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote